Shield Question

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Sheogorath
Town Member
Town Member

Shield Question

Post by Sheogorath »

Now Say I Have a heavy shield and am wearing light armor. Also I am an arcane and I already know that I can not use my skills while I am using the shield.

Now does having a shield in my hand prevent me from having any aranic talismans on me or is it just the charge time in which I must drop the shield?
Another way to put it would be if I charged a spell that had no movement restrictions and after all the time had passed and I was just holding it until I chose to cast it, would during this time I also be restricted not to hold my shield?

Also say I had my shield hanging from a strap on my back so that it was just hanging freely on my back, would that still be considered "holding it" meaning that my armor category still goes up one?

Also, say I wanted to get 4 armor points, the max of light. I have 1 light chest and 1 light leg. Now for the arms, if I were to wear hard plastic (Steal) wrist bracers on each are what would that count as? I know you need 4 quarters for 1 heavy location, but using those bracers is there any way to get 1 or 2 armor points meaning it count since it is equal to 1/2 of a heavy location that it could count as maybe 1 location of medium or light?
I am me, except for when I am not, then I'm not me, I'm him. Then again when I am not me, who is me?
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

If you casted a talismen on yourself (buff) and that spell did not have an armor restriction then sure you can cary the shield and still have the buff.

Can you cast the spell while holding the shield? No
Can you hold a spell and cary a sheild? No
Can you have a shield on your back? No

Lets say you have a shield on your back and you were casting a spell and a person hit you in the shield what would happen? You would take the damage and your spell would be disrupted.

What if you held the shield instead? see above
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

GM_Chris wrote: Can you hold a spell and cary a sheild? No
Can you have a shield on your back? No

Lets say you have a shield on your back and you were casting a spell and a person hit you in the shield what would happen? You would take the damage and your spell would be disrupted.

What if you held the shield instead? see above
This is why I think it really doesn't matter if you have a shield, a shield would actually slow them down a little and be a big 'ol target for thrown and missle.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

well you could go 2nd level swash and carry a shield without it raising armor, but yes i agree that a shield hampers spellcasters in general
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Sheogorath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sheogorath »

What about this?
Also, say I wanted to get 4 armor points, the max of light. I have 1 light chest and 1 light leg. Now for the arms, if I were to wear hard plastic (Steal) wrist bracers on each are what would that count as? I know you need 4 quarters for 1 heavy location, but using those bracers is there any way to get 1 or 2 armor points meaning it count since it is equal to 1/2 of a heavy location that it could count as maybe 1 location of medium or light?
I am me, except for when I am not, then I'm not me, I'm him. Then again when I am not me, who is me?
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

I think it would be a call for the GM's to make as the rules currently stand, if the bracers covered your forearms they may give you 1 location of med. If they only cover your wrists, then it would be a decorative thing I would think. Unless you are Wonder Woman and have hypnotizing boobies like Angie, Leif and I. (Joke for my chat peeps).
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

unless a rule changed a bracer is not a location.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

Here is the answer to the armor question. These are the current armor rules on amount of coverage

Armor Location Phys-reps
In order to receive free upkeep for the torso area at least 50% or more of the front and back of the torso must be covered by armor. To receive free upkeep for the legs or arms, they must be covered by a piece of armor that crosses a joint such as the shoulder, elbow, or knee OR cover at least 50% of the front and back of BOTH limbs.

Armor that does not meet the full criteria listed above will be considered half armor in terms of the torso and quarter armor in terms of a leg or an arm. If an individual can get enough fractions to count as a whole piece then they will receive the free upkeep for 1 location. For example, 2 steel bracers and 2 steel shin plates would constitute 4 quarters granting the wearer 1 location of heavy Armor. If the armor types do not match, the armor will provide points based on the judging GM or Marshal's discretion.