Hero Points again

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hero Points again

Post by GM-Phil »

Ok, here is a question I think came up before but I don't feel like digging around for the answer.

Are you able to use Hero points when you are at 0 or in negatives?

Are you able to use Hero points when using skills that do not allow you to use LP or charged abilites.. I.E. rage, defensive Matrix..etc..

(Aside, I already know that even if you use a hero point to raise your damage you still swing 0 in DM)
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Definitly no on defensive matrix.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

May I ask why Definetly NO on Defensive Matrix?

And why it would be different for any other skill like Rage or any other skill that does not allow LP or charged skills to be used?

I see Hero points as something you should be able to use anytime, barring unconciousness. MY opinion at least.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

The book reads:

Increase your damage by 1 point for a battle or scene. Multiple Hero Points may not be spent in this fashion to stack additional damage. This affects all forms of damage your character can deliver.
This implies that it could work with defensive matrix however, the defensive matrix skill says:

While using defensive matrix, a Warrior’s offensive damage is reduced to zero

It doesnt say that damage is reduced by one, it says it is reduced to zero period. So, you could spend a hero point to increase your damage for the scene but if you activate DM, your damage reduces to zero. When you deactivate DM, your damage would go back to +1 for the remainder of the combat without having to spend another hero point.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

It is my understanding you can use your hero points when ever, in negatives, while using another skill,etc. But I do see using a hero point will disrupt a charged skill.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Disclaimer: If this comes off harsh I don't mean it that way, I am just in a hurry.

I think the hero point defensive matrix question definitely deserves a look at in terms of the player knowing what we as GM's would consider Cheeze weaseling. I know we can get frustrated at a player’s interpretation and likewise players get frustrated that we have not communicated properly.

So here we have defensive matrix.

If you activated a hero point in battle you would gain plus 1 damage. Then you use defensive matrix which would by definition bring your damage to 0. This is self explanatory

YET

There appears to be a loophole in that if you first use defensive matrix and then use a hero point you would instead be able to swing for 1.

I contend that WHENEVER you see a similar situation with any type of rule combo choose the most conservative answer. You, as a player on the field and unable to ask the question, should assume that there is no loophole or super cool combo.

I hope this makes sense
Chris
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

PLEASE READ MY POST - I already stated I understand that when you spend a Hero point you still swing zero in Defensive Matrix.. I know that. My Main reason for asking is.. If I am at -4 in a battle, is it possible to spend a hero point to increase my life by 5, to 1 so I could make my way to a healer, or nearby help...

Also if I was in , let's say Rage or Defensive Matrix already.. would I have to drop them to increase my Life by 5 or use another Hero point ability.. Same goes for a charged skill.. let's say I have my 9 Critical Strike Charged, but decided I want to do a little extra damage.. would I have to drop the charge to spend a hero point for damage or life?

Just curious in what manner Hero points count.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

When the hero points were discussed it was brought up and the answer was you can use them whenever. So yes you can save your butt from death if you are bleeding to death via extra life.

On defensive matrix, you damage is reduced to zero while the skill is active, not just when you initiate it, so there is no loophole. Anything contrary is not cheezy, it's cheating.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

can someone answer the REAL question?

if you are in defensive matrix (or any skill where you can't use another) can you use a hero point to boost your LIFE.
Travis Cole
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Sorry it was not very clear, but yes you can boost life jsut not damage.
Chris
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

To be as clear as possible...

My questions were

1. Can you spend a Hero point while in negatives?

2. can you spend a Hero point when using skills that state you cannot use other skills?

In other words are Hero points activated as skills, or are they something else.

My opinion is, I would like to see them as something else, spendable at any time.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

They are something else
Chris