Regeneration and Combat Reflexes

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Regeneration and Combat Reflexes

Post by GM-Phil »

This question may apply to more skills, but these two have come up a lot lately in our area..

Here is the question.. If you are at 0 life.. can you still regain your combat relfexes and could you regenerate.

As far as I can tell these are passive skills and am curious at to whether it is in the spirit of the rules, or the rules themselves to be used this way.
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

Good question

The way I read death and dying rule, I would say yes, you would be able to use both skills if you are at zero becasue you are stable.

GM's do you concure or do you have to be 1 life to use those skills?
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

Just for note I am asking because I have been asked by two different people if they could be used at 0 life.. until now I have said you needed to be at 1 life to use them.. but after re-reading the rules I saw a gray area and thought I would clear it up before the next event.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

I'm okay with it being used at 0 life. Others?
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

The monks regeneration can be used at any point of negative. Just as long as they don't 'truly' die. I would think then that regeneration would work at any point of life where you can make a regeneration count at the same time as not counting past bleeding to death.

On the other hand, thinking about combat reflexes, things may be different. I imagine the count as regaining combat reflexes back in just calming ones nerves. With that, I would think that someone would have to be conscious in order to calm their nerves. Then again, I guess sleeping would achieve the same effect. Therefore, a person would not be able to use combat reflexes while they were unconscious. Though they would have their full compliment of combat reflexes if enough time had passed. And once awake, they would be able to use it.

The second idea doesn't seem to vibe well with the rest of the rules. Yet, it makes sense to me.
Knight of the Frozen Way, Sir Andian Eannon
"Law is mind without reason."
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

If I am playing a Monk/Sage, and have mimic'ed Regeneration, can I go into Meditation in Negatives and then still be able to Regernerate, because I'm not bleeding to death anymore?
Adam
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Adam »

4th level Monk: Meditate has the rules for using Regenerate with Meditate. It probably doesn't matter how you got it (Barbarian, Sage Mimic, Ga'Vin or anywhere else)

As for using regen at 0, it depends on how "stressful" being at 0 LP is interpreted as being on the character. If you're just so fatigued from damage you can't perform any actions (regen being a passive skill), then yes. But if your body is in a mild state of shock, being under a great deal of stress becouse of the physical trauma, than no.
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

My thought has always been that Regen is a passive skill, thus you can regen while at 0. (You could even do it in negatives but you will likely 'Bleed out' before you actually manage to Regen any points)

Combat Reflex's is not exactly a passive skill as it requires intention. You cannot 'repop' your CR while at 0. (Just as you couldnt repop them while being a victim of 'sleep'.)

~the Lunatic fringe~
Adam
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Adam »

Unfortunatly, under the Combat Reflexes section is does not specify intent. You just have to rest and they come back, even if not all of them were lost. You're still consious and able to rest (at 0 LP), just not do anything else.

And why not sleep?

I get what you're saying, Todd, and maybe this is one of those that need to go in the FAQ (when it is made) as clarification, whichever way it gets ruled.
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

Correct, definitely needs to be worked into the FAQ.

~the Lunatic fringe~
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

So would it be possible to get a clarification before the next event.. I do not know how many this will affect at FH, but at WH these questions came up at least twice I know, which is why I decided to ask them in the first place?
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

Absolutely. I will have a 100% GM endorsed answer by weeks end.

~the Lunatic fringe~
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

Thank ya kindly good sir.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

I am ok with the skills working at 0. Its easier that way and its not broken.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

Official Ruling (to be added to the FAQ)

Combat Reflexes can be regained at 0 life and above, and conscious.

Ergo you cannot use them in negatives, or while unconscious[sleep]. (either would prevent you from preforming skills)

An a situation where you are bound you could spend the time to 'repop' your CR, then spend the additional time to escape. The two times do not overlap.

~the Lunatic fringe~