Crafting

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

If the people who are playing craftsman don't have an issue with the current craft times, than all is good.

I personal have an issue with a skill that takes so long to use to get said benifit from it. Time is limited and precious at an event and I know most people would preferr to be something else than crafting. But that's just me.
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

I guess here is the question. How many items did the GM's invision a craftsman be able to create during an event?

After some thought, I really do not like the idea of skills in the game that forces a person to sit around for 50% of there time to create something. Even if the person can go NPC, it just not make much sense in a LARP.

I have been playing the craftsman with them being able to create while they sleep and during game break which gave them around 12-16 hrs an event of crafting time and still allowed them to go adventuring and interact as they wished with there fellow players. It seemed to work great. Now if somethig really need to be made, then they took the time to make the item, but mostly, the craftsman did their work at night.

I just don't want to see craftsman as a skill that only a few people will play becasue of the amountof down time it take to use. That is my fear. I want to see that a warrior craftsman can get some benifit for the skill (aka they can go fight and such and than during the night make some stuff) and than if a person wants to put in the time during the event, than they can produce alot equipment.

Just my 2 cents
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Hey, I'm all for them being able to exhibit the other aspects of their builds, if they so choose. If they choose not to, then they get more stuff.

Kinda the you aren't the local blacksmith, but rather a leader of a group of smiths. If you want something done now, you step up, but otherwise you just direct. Kinda makes sense considering the level you need to be to create items.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

nay. The moment craftman can craft asleep, this game takes right angle toward being a sim's game where you assign all your stuff, and collected the wondrous bounty in the morning.

NO.
There is PLENTY of gear to go around with out this. I will argue against this until my teeth turn blue.

The GM mantra is IN GAME,IN game, IN game. We must make that our vision statement. the more we can make IN game, the better.
Travis Cole
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

okay.

I'm the type of person that would enjoy sitting around for 50% to 75% of my event doing stuff around the inn, roleplaying with the other people in the inn. That's the part of the game I enjoy.

I am the person that will have a group of people come out with me and walk around for a half hour or so just looking for alchemy ingredients, that's BEFORE I even start to prepare, mix and brew whatever. Later, I learned that some people go 'find' their stuff in the corner of the inn. That's just cheese.

It's even bigger cheese to find that people have been sleeping while crafting. If you want the really cool armor, then someone should put in the time. (in fact, there's people who enjoy putting in that time) Reducing the time and making things that much easier, I feel takes away part of the "wow factor." You make it too easy and it's no longer cool.

I was fine with Dicipher Script being an hour long. I was fine with mimic being a half hour long. I'm fine with crafting a beautiful, high quality peice of equipment that's going to be saving your rear on the battlefield, which in turn saves my non-armor-wearing, squishy rear, taking a very long time to create. Taking a long time to create something, to me, makes it feel like it has more value.

Not everyone wants to be running into battle. What are we supposed to be doing durring the event? What about Travis' wife who's been playing a white sash? Perhaps it's for the best if the warrior-types stick to just being able to repair their armor and leave the rest to us, and appreciate the things we enjoy doing too.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

I agree with Travis on this one
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

I dunno. For FH I will be playing a character that eventually will be a full craftsman, and while I fully intend to go out on as many plots as possible, I also think that in my experience there's usually enough time sitting around the fire talking between plots that I shouldn't miss out on anything because I'm forging something.

Especially late at night. There's many times at 12AM-2AM where we are doing nothing but talking.
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

I disagree, but majority wins. I just don't like the fact a disapline dictates how one must play the game to get the skills benifits. That's all.

So in summary, crafting is considered a charge skill that can be stopped and restarted. So, if you are crafting and get hit and distrupted, do you lose the item you where crafted?
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I still don't understand why one creation skill may do things in their sleep yet another can't because it's "cheese". It's not like there isn't a benefit for doing it "in game". But whatever...
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

If you mean alchemy it's different, and you aren't supposed to be doing collecting, or mixing in your sleep. But yes you can have them brewing while you sleep. With Alchemy you aren't supposed to be able to stop the brewing and pick it up later. But if you miss your brew finish time then you don't get that potion. You can't always have everything that's similiar work exactly the same way, it's called variety.

I completely agree with Travis, items are a big IG bonus, as are potions as well as rituals but those have limits to them. You can wear and use as many items as you want so I certainly don't have a problem with them taking a long time. All the disciplines dictate in small ways how you play the game, full craftsman is not for the people that want to go on lots of plots. Empath is not for people that like the physical combat aspect, unless you like being beaten to a pulp. So it's an aspect of the game you may not want to do, don't take craftsman all the way up. Noone is forcing anyone to play anything. Or atleast they shouldn't be.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

Indeed. Brew time is a design feature. So be it. All of us seem to agree that craftman can put the item down and pick it back up, so we need to make sure that's clear.

Mixing and gathering times are fairly time consuming and annoying, and pots are one shot items. It's design structure. I think it's IN game ther alch can sleep while brewing, but a craftman should not be. there are no cobbler fairies involved here.
Travis Cole
Shea Stonebrook
Town Member
Town Member
Location: On the way back to Woodhold from traveling with Connor (my husband)

Post by Shea Stonebrook »

If you can start and stop a "project" then there is really no need to craft in your sleep....there's 15 min here and 10 min there enough to craft most things....

The things that I'm having issue with is a total of FOUR hours for ONE PIECE of quality armor... and having to use a refined material as well....that's too expensive IMHO
AND
THREE FULL months for one building. OUCH can't it just be between events?

1 hour for a piece of armor or a sword is right on as far as I'm concerned...

I also enjoy having to weigh weather I should stay behind and craft or go out on a plot....what's more needed...and a good excuse to stay behind.
Shea Stonebrook

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

the three months is between events. (to build a building.)
Travis Cole
Shea Stonebrook
Town Member
Town Member
Location: On the way back to Woodhold from traveling with Connor (my husband)

Post by Shea Stonebrook »

April 6- May 30th isn't 3 months.... so ASS u me d that the building Shea is currently working on would not be done at the next WH event...we had talked about that during the event...

*shrug* so it IS between events Yea!! :lol:
Shea Stonebrook

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

No no.

3 months, but it takes place off stage between events. that means it will not be completed.
Travis Cole