Q&A - Section

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Q&A - Section

Post by General Maximus »

lets put together a Q&A section for some rules clafication. Add to the list so the GM's has everything. Here is what I have so far.

1. Can not use the vorpal skill with a fist.
2. Disreguard armor upkeep requirements in the craftsman rule section. Use the new upkeep rules in the armor rule section.
3. Any weapon focus will not add damage to a fist
4. Unless stated other wise in a skill, a person can only use 1 weapon (melee or ranged) at a time
5. A person can only use 1 shield at a time unless stated other wise by a skill.
7. Empath - A person chooses to swap out Lesser Channel for another skill. They then take Master Empath. This person then uses Greater Channel, which states that they can use a lower leveled channel if the appropriate time has passed. It says this person can do it, but doesn't specify if they have to have the skill or not. Can they do it?

No. they may not throw a 5.

The skill says youmay throw a lesser, but since you can't, because you have no ability to use a lesser you may not.

8. Rogue - A person swaps out Pick Simple Lock. They then take Master Rogue and aquire the skill Pick Complex Locks. Can the Rogue not pick a simple lock now?

No they may not. only complex locks.

9. Sage - A person swaps out Read/Write. They also do not take any language as part of the start up package. They then take Master Sage. How does Decipher Script work for this person?

it does but they may not write down it's translation.

Note, knockout and critical strike also work the way. You may not use the lesser if you dump the skill and only take the greater
10. If someone is at -25 and you use surgery, then they are at -15. You then need to draw 6 chips to get them to -9. Then you may use any skill to heal them from there.
Last edited by General Maximus on Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I'd argus against the bladed weapon to remove a limb. If that's how it is going to be then that rule need to be changed. Right now, I say just go with it as is. Sure, it's dumb to use a fist, but I've never seen this happen.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

I started an FAQ section on the website. It is located here: http://www.finalhavenlarp.com/new/tiki-list_faqs.php

Users can suggest questions and Answers directly on the FAQ. All an admin needs to do is read them and approve or deny them. I suggest we use this instead of the forums to make things easier
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Note, I'll add the above to the FAQ
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Gabrial
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Gabrial »

I would like to add that I use fist weapons and I do remove limbs and perform killing blows with the proper count.

I don't cut your throat, I break your neck.

I also feel that pulling off a limb can be done. If you twist it enough you could get the skin to tear and then just pull it off. Gross sure, but still effective in my mind.

Removing the heart is the same thing. With enough punches you smash the ribcage in, jam your hand in and pull it out.
Sometimes you need to see the world in a different way...
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

3. Any weapon focus will not add damage to a fist
This is a joke, right? Why would any weapon focus work for fists? I mean, unless it was a fist weapon focus which doesn't exist...
1. Can not use the vorpal skill with a fist.
Untrained I would agree with you, but anyone with Ambidexterity should be able to use vorpal with a fist. Same goes for removing a limb.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Vorpal specifically states a balded weapon must be used. So no it won't work with a fist.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

I have to agree with Danny, you certainly can take an arm off without a weapon, in fact that is the only reason that the time part should be involved at all. Other than that the time to cut a neck or limb with an edged weapon would only be taking a swing or two. Woukd it be truly barbaric and gross as all hell? Oh yeah, but so is eating an unconscious persons brain!
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

dier_cire wrote:Vorpal specifically states a balded weapon must be used. So no it won't work with a fist.
I'm also curious as to whether this was a recent change? Because I seem to remember a year or so ago having an argument about thinking it was kind of silly that you could cut someone's head off with a quarterstaff. I conceded to it, because it's a fantasy world and then makes all weapons pretty much balance out.

If this is the final case, I'd like to see some kind of benefit for non-bladed weapons, perhaps a decrease in upkeep cost (doesn't affect fists, but does affect other weapons, like maces and staves).

Also, since there is no real "defining" factor of a weapon other than the Weapon Focus skills (You could technically HAVE a bladed quarterstaff, if you wanted to), what's stopping me from saying I have razorblades or tape with pieces of debris strapped to my hand other than the cheese factor?

I'm with Eric T. on this. This is a fantasy world, and a trained martial artist being able to remove body parts with a fist (or a claw) should be allowed. It's more feasible than MANY skills in the game. The fact that you can use a fist or claw to remove a body part requires much less of a suspension of disbelief than cars and electricity, as well as packets representing flaming fireballs or whatever that you can't even see at night, even if someone is holding it over their heads.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

"Headed (excluding pikes and pole arms) or blunt weapons must be
used when dealing crush damage, and edged, pointed weapons (i.e. swords) must be used when dealing vorpal damage"

it's in the special attack section, as far back as 2005.
Travis Cole
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

That's only for the special skill. The Crush skill may be used with any weapon. The Vorpal skill is only useable with swords and daggers.

As for a reduced cost, why? Every weapon does the same damage (1) and costs the same upkeep. If you want to be a swashbuckler, don't use a staff. I mean, it's like saying swords should get a benefit since as a common lifestyle, you can't get weapon focus.

As for fists and ripping off arms, it's not a matter of realism. The FAQ is not the place to determine that, it's merely to clarify things that might be vague. If the GMs don't want someone ripping off arms, that is a rule change for next year, not an FAQ statement.
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

Thanks for the head's up, then. I just remember getting into this discussion before on the other side and was told otherwise.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Bladed would also include the many different ploearms IMO, if it's meant to be only swords and daggers it should say swords and daggers. Pole arms are just bladed weapons on a stick.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Forgot polearms... the actual wording is: "May not use a blunt or headed weapon"