Surgery

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Surgery

Post by GM-Phil »

Now I know what this is supposed to do, but the way i am reading this it sounds wrong...

The surgery skill only works on a target that is critically injured (below zero life points). Surgery can be used to heal negative life that is at negative 10 or lower The healer can heal up to 10 life points through the use of this skill.

This is taken from the Surgery description in the updates.. and according to this If a character is at -9 or -8 or so you could not use Surgery to heal them.. as it states -10 or lower.. Now if you take the bolded part of this out of the skill, it works exactly as it should.. I was wondering if it was just a typo that made it in.. ?
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

No, it is worded correctly, it says, can be used , not only used.

So you ca use the skill to heal at -1 or -20.

This will make more sense when a couple more rule updates about negatives come out.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Read the 2008 Death and Dying post and then that should make sense.
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

I understand how it is supposed to read.. but the part that I bolded up above in my earlier post is completely uneeded wording. If you take that out the skill still works exactly as you want it to, but with no confusion at all..

As for reading Death and dying, i did.. but a lot of people will most likely read the skills they use over that, and to me that phrase in surgery just copnfuses things and is really not needed. Thats all i am saying.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

The reason it is needed is because the death and dying section states that you cannot use skills on a target that is below -9 life points unless the skill specifically states it can be used. I agree it is worded a little clunky and needs a look but wording to that effect NEEDS to be in the skill.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

The surgery skill only works on a target that is critically injured (below zero life points). Surgery can be used to heal negative life that is at negative 10 or lower The healer can heal up to 10 life points through the use of this skill. The healer may choose the number of life points healed as long as the total healed does not push the target's total life points above zero. It takes one minute to perform the surgery skill. While surgery is underway the target stops bleeding to death. Upon completion, the target remains unconscious until they are brought to a positive life point total. A Healer can heal an additional 9 life points while performing surgery but there is a risk of death. To heal these additional 9 life points, the healer must first have a "Healer's bag". The healer's bag is an out of game pouch that contains 10 red and white markers or chips. The bag must contain at least one red chip and at least one white chip. The healer's bag is also used in the resurrection process. For surgery, Chips are taken from the bag at a rate of one per minute. A white chip heals 1 life point while a red chip instantly kills the patient. Up to 2 additional surgeons can assist. When a surgeon assists they can offer their Healer's bag to the injured person. The injured subject must pick the chips from the bag offered to him. The drawing of chips from the healer's bag is meant to simulate the effects of a very critical and delicate surgery. Once a chip is drawn, it is not returned to the bag until the surgery is completed.
Finally, if the surgeon can reach a target within 15 seconds of that target dying, they can resuscitate them. The target will be at –15 life points or the total they were at when they died, whichever is lower. This is true even for those who were given a killing blow. This skill is restricted to medium armor.

1.Shouldn't the above be reworded as you do not go unconcious when you are in negatives anymore.

2. Surgery is supposed to be only one time while you are in negatives, correct? aka only one healer can do surgery per time a person is in negatives just like First Aid? But I do not see that distinction in Surgery like it is stated in First Aid.. or are multiple healers able to do multiple surgeries.. I am sure this is not the case.
Shea Stonebrook
Town Member
Town Member
Location: On the way back to Woodhold from traveling with Connor (my husband)

Post by Shea Stonebrook »

Can you not also "transfer Life" to bring someone back up a little, use potions or that kind of thing... I mean once you bring out "the bag" there's a chance of death...no chance of death in transfer of life unless you come under attack.

Can't a healer give his own life and then use a healing circle to bring them both from 0 to full?
Shea Stonebrook

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

You can use *any* healing skills to bring someone from between -9 to -1 up to 0.

You may only use surgery to bring someone from -10 or or larger negatives. Once they are healed into the -9 to -1 range, any skill may be used.

Once someone hits -20, the chip bag must be used. Generally, you have a 50% chance of death around -27 or so.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Shea Stonebrook
Town Member
Town Member
Location: On the way back to Woodhold from traveling with Connor (my husband)

Post by Shea Stonebrook »

so if they are neg 25? first aid and 1 sugery won't do it....then what?

Help me out...can you transfer life then at neg 12?
Shea Stonebrook

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath.
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

You can only use the surgery skill until the person is at -9 life. After that any other negative life healing skill or equipment can be used to heal the person from -9 to zero life.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

If someone is at -25 and you use surgery, then they are at -15. You then need to draw 6 chips to get them to -9. Then you may use any skill to heal them from there.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.