battering ram

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

cole45
Town Member
Town Member

battering ram

Post by cole45 »

it takes a battering ram to knock down a door. how does one MAKE a battering ram?
Travis Cole
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

Summon an indestructibe giant.

Other than that, I'm tapped out of ideas, but it wouldn't seem very hard, if it were the simple "two men on each side swinging it" version. Probably a good chunk of wood resources, and two heavy shields' worth of steel for the end-cap.

Or even simpler, just a felled tree with side handles.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

I know how you would go about it in RL. but there are no RULES for such.
Travis Cole
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Torakhan »

Swing a door at another door and negate one another? ;)
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

It's true. I heard somewhere that two doors cannot occupy the same point of space/time. They both melt into a pile of goo.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

what if one is a screen door?
Travis Cole
Slisk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Slisk »

That's true! A screen door and a regular door can occupy the same portal at the same time, creating a rule paradox. What're the mechanics of rule paradoxes? Can a paradox heal twice as fast?
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

No. Screen door should count as window, therefore they are able to occupy the same space as a door. As for the paradox, in fact a paradox takes no damage, strangely enough. It may be taking damage, but in another reality it's not, so the two cancel out.

In all seriousness, I don't thing it would be a very big deal to make a simple battering ram, the simplest of siege weapons. The simplest are made from just a tree trunk that's light enough to be held by two or three men on a side, and sometimes capped in a hard metal. Like I said before, I can't see more than a couple of hours to make, taking a good chunk of wood resources and two heavy shields' worth of steel. The rub is that you would need at least a man on either side to wield it (if it's a small SWAT-team style one, two or more on either side for one to take down a larger door).

Maybe have three categories of ram, each taking less time to batter a door down, with longer construction and more resources for each.

-Portable ram (SWAT team style, could be solid wood becuase it's only tackling midieval-style doors)
-Large battering ram (tree trunk w/ steel cap, 4-6 characters to wield)
-Enormous battering ram (the kind that is suspended from ropes or supported by wheels. Mainly used for keep/castle gates.)
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

I think the gist is anyone is supposed to be able to make them,
Travis Cole
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

Well, yeah. Especially the SWAT-team style one. Cut a log about 4 inches in diameter and four feet long, get a buddy, and start swinging.

Hell, I know a guy with a large warhammer, have him beat on the lock/handle area for awhile.

But the larger ones would be a group effort.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

bump.

Seriously. we need to know how to build this. It says doors can be knocked down with a battering ram. Doors are invincible because there is no battering ram?

is there a blueprint out there for a battering ram I don't know about?

can anyone build one? if so, how? I would think anyone could build it and it would 4 people to use, but I got nothing.
Travis Cole
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

anyone could build it and it would 4 people to use
Sure, lets call it that and 1 hour to build. Sound good? Lets add it to the chart
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!