Idea to Determine Armor Categories

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Idea to Determine Armor Categories

Post by General Maximus »

My idea on how armor category can be determined

Basic Rules
1. All armor must look in period
2. You can always say certain armor is a lower armor category than it is, but can't say armor is a higher armor category than it is.
3. Keep the same armor location system
4. These rules only apply to the arm, leg and torso locations

Light armor - uses any flexible material, cloth, fur, 4 oz leather or lower (typical leather chaps and coats) etc... Does not restrict movement and does not weight very much.

Medium armor - uses any semi-flexible material – 5 - 8oz leather, metal rings that are larger that have a .5" diameter, thick swades, light gauge plastic's, etc... restricts movement some what and has some weight to it.

Heavy armor - uses any rigid material. 9 oz leather or higher, .5" diameter or lower rings for chain mail, metal plates, hard plastic, etc... restricts movement and has weight to the armor.

Bonus for people who wear metal, full plate armor. It is heavy, hot, and cumbersome. The can chose one of the two bonus for the location that is armored in metal plate. Note: to get the bonus the location must be completely covered in metal plate.
1. The location is considered quality (+1 soak) but you only have to pay basic upkeep costs. Note: creating quality piece in game will not give additional soak bonus. Quality armor does nothing for people who wear metal plate and take this bonus.
2. The armor points from the location are considered combat reflexes and heal as per combat reflexes.
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

I wouldn't ever feel put out by that, even if it was just plate, and not any of the period heavy armors (like my chainmail, seeing as it's easier to wear all day than a plate breastplate)
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Well I came up with my own list based on a recently voted for change to armor rules. Based on this highly secret change I will vote for the following

Light
1) If that is not a leather coat then it is not armor at all. If it is leather then it is full light
2) Full light

Medium
1) Medium shirt light arms/legs
2) Same pict as far as I can see

Heavy
1) If the total weight is under 25 pounds then I would down grade it to full medium. FYI 25 pounds is my current benchmark, but not set in stone.
2) Heavy chest plate
3) I believe that is alluminum chain so I would make it medium. with possibly giving heavy legs.

Mix
1) I think those are medium
2) I think I would give it 1 medium location
3) I think that is full medium.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Sheogorath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sheogorath »

So furs and thick cloth can not be considered light?
Chain mail is not heavy?
And for something to be heavy it has to be over 25lbs (or whatever amount is set) even if it is "fake?"
I am me, except for when I am not, then I'm not me, I'm him. Then again when I am not me, who is me?
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Let me be very clear. My criteria is just my criteria based on a rule you have not seen yet so please give me some leeway.

Chainmail is heavy or medium, and I probably would have to judge alluminum chain as medium.

Thick cloth could get into the light catagory, but not the think cloth a duster uses. Now an arming coat I might consider light since it is layered with padding inbetween. Furs I would consider light as well must likely.
I am throwing out the 25 pound thing for an entire suite. Chain usually constitutes an entire suite. I have worn a 30 pound chainmail shirt which I thought was worse than full plate.
Chris
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Re: Idea to Determine Armor Categories

Post by Kalphoenix »

General Maximus wrote:My idea on how armor category can be determined

Basic Rules
1. All armor must look in period
2. You can always say certain armor is a lower armor category than it is, but can't say armor is a higher armor category than it is.
3. Keep the same armor location system
4. These rules only apply to the arm, leg and torso locations

Light armor - uses any flexible material, cloth, fur, 4 oz leather or lower (typical leather chaps and coats) etc... Does not restrict movement and does not weight very much.

Medium armor - uses any semi-flexible material – 5 - 8oz leather, metal rings that are larger that have a .5" diameter, thick swades, light gauge plastic's, etc... restricts movement some what and has some weight to it.

Heavy armor - uses any rigid material. 9 oz leather or higher, .5" diameter or lower rings for chain mail, metal plates, hard plastic, etc... restricts movement and has weight to the armor.

Bonus for people who wear metal, full plate armor. It is heavy, hot, and cumbersome. The can chose one of the two bonus for the location that is armored in metal plate. Note: to get the bonus the location must be completely covered in metal plate.
1. The location is considered quality (+1 soak) but you only have to pay basic upkeep costs. Note: creating quality piece in game will not give additional soak bonus. Quality armor does nothing for people who wear metal plate and take this bonus.
2. The armor points from the location are considered combat reflexes and heal as per combat reflexes.
I can agree with that, I think...like I seem to recall some great armor that was not actual plate but was very cool looking and was also heavy/movement restricting. I think it was super heavy plastic? This way, people can still come up with more inexpensive alternatives, but can't use, say, a jacket for heavy armor (Which I never agreed with anyway).

As long as we're not requiring people to buy/make actual period armor, just make it look decent (And appropriate movement/weight/flexibility for the category), I have no issue with this.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Chris, by using weight, are you saying 25lbs per location, or just 25lbs total? If total, then I could just wear a 25lb chest plate and be in full heavy?

I really don't think wieght is a very good way to go. Ultimately, you end up with odd ball numbers since each location would havve to havve it's own requirements. And if you get rid of locations, then ultimately I could wear a heavy chain shirt and be in full heavy, while full plastic platemail is medium.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Again you have not seen the rule we voted on.

The rule is going to allow alot of freedom as to what people can have for armor, but due to that freedom the judging will have to be alot more strict. 25 pounds was a guide I just threw out. If you had a 25 pound breast plate then you would gain 3 points.
Chris