inescapable bonds/escape artist question

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Zydana
GM

inescapable bonds/escape artist question

Post by Zydana »

Can an escape artist free another person from inescapable bonds, or is it a self-only ability?

I know this seems like a dumb question, but I am curious.
Level 2: Escape Artist
By spending a Life point, an Assassin
may escape any single regular bond or
limb restraining device such as shackles
or handcuffs (like a magician slipping
out of handcuffs). In addition they may
spend 5 minutes to escape from the
Interrogator's inescapable bonds.Any character that has the Escape Artist skill more than one time may escape from
regular bonds instantly by spending an uninterupted five seconds OR spending a life
point. Additionally, the character may spend a life point to instantly escape from the
Interrogator's inescapable bonds.
In addition, is there any rule about freeing someone from inescapable bonds?

ex: An unbound person may spend X amount of time cutting the ropes of his bound friend to free him from inescapable bonds.

Reason I ask that one is that I've seen it allowd by GMs as well as the bound person spending hours with a dagger cutting away at his own inescapable bonds to escape without the escape artist skill.
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

I agree, there have been past GM rulings at games. Yet no actual rule in the book, that I could find on how another might unbound inescapable or normal bonds.
Knight of the Frozen Way, Sir Andian Eannon
"Law is mind without reason."
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

You are being bound with rope or something similar that can easily be cut. Just role play it out if you are freeing someone else. If it is the person tied, they better get permission and have a heck of a good reason why they can reach their dagger and cut themselves out. Assume if you are inescapably bound that this is simply not the case and wait to be freed by someone else.
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

Here is the rule for escaping normal bonds

Escape Bonds
Any character may spend 5 minutes to escape from regular bonds (NOT the Interrogator's Inescapable Bonds). During those five minutes, the character must actively try to escape, i.e.squirm and fidget.

Here is a summary from what I have read so far

A person must help you to escape fro minescapable bonds

Now, for both type of bonds, it will take a person X time to break another person from both type of bonds. What is that time. Is it a 5 ct, or 5 minutes, etc... ?

This is a good question for the QA or place it escaping bonds section. :D
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

I'd say that bonds assume rope, and that you can free anyone else just tied up with rope either way. Now maybe there could be (or is.. I dunno) a crafted item that lets you bond someone with a crafted lock like chains or handcuffs...
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

So true, and the tag will tell people what the new time is. But what is the basic time to help a person out of normal and inescapalble bonds. I personal think it should be a standard 5 ct to keep everythign simple :D
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

I think in game we've always assumed rope, but the one placeing the inescapable bonds would I guess say and roleplay they have shackles or are a master of ropes and knots either way. The restraints roleplayed depending on the character.

but the skill description says:

escape any single regular bond or limb restraining device such as shackles or handcuffs (like a magician slipping out of handcuffs).

I guess don't assume if you're bound, it's just rope.

But my question was, if I'm an escape artist and you're not, and you're inescapably bound, can I set you free?

Also, if niether of us are escape artists would it at all be possible for me to free you, granted I'm not bound?

As for tags and such - If you want to research some exotic/magic item (shackles) that would allow someone who doesn't have the inescapable bounds skill to tie someone in the inescapable bounds - then a tag for said item would be needed - but I see no reason to start taging inescapable bounds.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Anyone who is not bound can unbind another. Make it a 5 count I guess. That's fine with me.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Yes...RP it out. If you are free, then role-play freeing the other person. If we made a rule for every little thing like this we would have a 500 page rulebook
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Even I agree on this one...
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

As the inescaple binder, I say 5 count sounds fine.
GLOMP!