Journey to civilization

Continue your adventures in Phanterra here! Want to gather a party to scout out that mineshaft full of undead? Want to figure out what the results wereof your destruction of the world-rotation device? Find out here!

Moderator: Admin

Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

Andian fully stands and then swiftly kneels down in front of the Lady Vane. His head tilled low, his face becomes strongly obscured by his hood. He angles his sword to cross behind him from hip to ankle. "You have need of my services as a knight? As I have stated, I shall help those who have need of such. And if you have need of my attention, I'll give it and help where I am able. This is part of my code."
Knight of the Frozen Way, Sir Andian Eannon
"Law is mind without reason."
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

"I notice you have been kind not to draw attention to my injury." She motions towards her left arm. "I would rather not weather more time here than I must in near solitude. I have managed, since it is not my use-hand, but I am afraid that it has given me difficulty in traveling, since I cannot draw my travois." She points to the bags behind her, near which are several poles of length. A piece of thick material hangs between them like a sling. "I believe it may have healed incorrectly and require treatment that I am unable to administer myself."

She tilts her head. "I would very much like to travel again, to seek out other tribes or settlements, perhaps an actual city."
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

Andian looks up to meet Vane's gaze, his brow furrows. He says with a flat and steady voice, "You haven't let anything hinder you, so I do not see a bound arm as a hindrance for you. If the only assistance you require is my attendance, that is very easily remedied. I've been in search of a city as well. I hope to be of worthier use to a new city than the one I had left."

He stands slowly as he looks from Vane to the door. His stare is as though he's looking through the door and beyond. "Perhaps all three of us will be of benefit to a new home, once we arrive."

Andian pulls his hood away from his eyes and drinks the entire cup of chilled tea. He trembles slightly until he reaches into one of his belt pockets. What he finds he cups in his hand, a tiny radiant item, which he quickly consumes. After, he seems fine again. "Let me know when you are ready. I will carry what I can of your belongings."
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

Andian's action does not go unnoticed, but Vane does no more than blink slowly. "I can travel well enough, I think, with help carrying those things we may require, I will not need to leave either them or the Nameless behind."

She packs her few remaining belongings in the sacks carefully, including the bedrolls and the cup she had given for Andian's use, although she sets her own clay cup, still with tea in it, to the side. The cooked fish go into a smaller pack. With some difficulty, she sets the small travois on the floor and secures the three bags on it. Almost in afterthought, she pulls from one of the larger bags a leather glove that looks quite oversized for her hand, and drapes it over her shoulder. She carefully shovels dirt from the floor over the embers, until nothing can be seen of them.

She then gulps down the cooling draught of tea with something akin to a grimace on her face. She stares down into the clay cup at the flakes left within. "What lies behind us is lost and will never come again." She says with a heavy sigh. "May the wind and stars carry us to finer fortunes, and bless those who were never given that chance."

She stands and gives one last look at the cup, placing it on the hearth with an almost gentle fondness. Then she raises her leg and crushes it underfoot. There is a distant expression in her eyes and one tear runs down her cheek.

As a last gesture, she carries the container she brewed the tea in to the front door and opening it, tosses the remaining tea out into the wind. Her voice is suddenly quiet as she addresses the open air. "I did not forget you, brother of no silence. May you be appeased."

She turns back to Andian and gestures to the travois. "It should not be heavy, it need only be dragged, and I thank you for your companionship." She slides the glove over her right arm and manages to get the Nameless to step onto it. The bird bobs her hooded head, but settles quickly. Vane secures the straps carefully. "I am ready, whenever you wish, Sir Eannon."
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

He watches Vane move around the small structure and listens to every word she says. He seems to have a moment of surprise when Vane snatches the cup from his hand, as she busily packs her belongings away. As she gracefully moves around, he checks his own packs. He taps one of the pouches on his side, whispering, "Short on food....."

When Vane asks if he is ready, he closes all of his packs and grabs the end of her travois and begans to drag it. Andian shoulders his way outsite with the same determination that he expressed when he first came to meet Vane. As the travois clears the doorway, he stands outside and waits for Vane before he proceeds forth. "There is a gate of sorts in that direction," he points at an angle away from the hut. "If you have talent with such things, then we may better weather our environment with that. Otherwise, I've felt that this path," He points toward and across the pond, "may yield what we seek. I'd set forward to circle around it, when I found your dwelling."
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
Euan
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Euan »

Vane explains that she has no interest in the gate at this time. So they agree that going around the pond is the right choice.

They continue their conversation quietly as they make their way. The two circle the pond and find a stream feeding it on the other side. The water in the stream is not frozen over and is running under the ice on the pond. Vane and Andian decide to follow the stream knowing it will be a bit easier going along the banks.

Another hour passes as the two continue their advance up stream. Soon they hear the sounds of a falls ahead. As the falls come into view they both notice the oddity.

With the sun reflecting brightly of the snow, it is easy to make out the black shape standing in the falls, breaking the sheer wall of water. Neither of the travelers mention it at first but both keep a watchful eye on it. They do not slow their pace, but forge on.

The black shape starts to take form as they close on it. Before too long they are sure that it is a man standing in the freezing shower.
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

Vane talks a bit as they walk, holding her robes tight against the cold, except where she supports the nameless on her arm. "I can't say as though I trust the magic of such things, these days." She says as they talk about the gate. "It might take us somewhere we don't intend to be, and to tell you the truth, if the hunter was living out here, I can't imagine we are too far from some sort of settlement or town." She points towards the stream. "We might do well to follow it, at the least we'll have access to water. Before he..." She paused. "The hunter said something about a pass, I think."
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

Vane pauses at the sight of the man under the swift water and draws a veil up over the lower half of her face, which until now, appeared to simply be a scarf about her throat. She turns and looks at Andian, then back to the figure in the water.
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

As they stroll along the pond's side, Andian only listens. He seems to be concentrating on something, yet nods in acknowledgment that he is still paying attention. When Vane mentions it, he echoes the word, "Pass."

As they near the falls, in immediate fashion, Andian's stance changes. He drops the end of Vane's travois in doing so. His left leg slings back and then plants itself firmly while he grabs the hilt of his sword, thumbing the guard of his dagger beside it. The sound of the sword's steel back gnashes loudly against it's hanger, as the sword is pulled rapidly. He closes his eyes to slits, peering at the figure beyond the shear line of water. He speaks in a matter of fact nature, while attempting to project loud enough to be heard over the water. "You there, please state your name and purpose. I haven't the patience for those who are want for airs of mystery about themselves on my travels."
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
JonathanBreygan
New in Town
New in Town

Post by JonathanBreygan »

"My name is Jonathan. I just got back into the area and have heard some distressing news of Corbin betraying us. I was going around looking for more survivors, when I seen you heading into the cottage over there and figured you had matters to take care of so, I waited." Leaving his shield propped against the tree, and an eye on the man with the sword drawn, he turns towards to lady and gives a slight bow of his head. "Mam."
Jonathan Breygan, Undead Slayer

If men had wings and bore black feathers,
few would be clever enough to be crows ~Beachler
Euan
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Euan »

At the sound of Andian’s voice, the man in the shower turns. A smile crosses his face. This might have seemed a strange response to turning and finding a sword drawn in opposition to you, especially from a naked man standing in a freezing cold water fall, but the introduction of a new comer would push these thoughts out of most peoples minds., especially when the new comer has just stated that he has been following you. However, the man in the water fall takes no action beyond smiling and watching the action unfold.
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

Vane touches her forehead. "I am not sure whom this Corbyn is you speak of, but perhaps my traveling companion knows more. I shall let my companion speak for himself, but I am sometimes known as Vane. Well met are we in you, Jonathan, or at least I pray so."

When the man in the cold water turns, Vane's eyebrow raises and her eyes seem to smile as she takes him in. "Better met, in others." She murmurs, a lilt of pleasant laughter in the tone of her voice.
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

Andian shrugs as though surprised when the man behind him announces himself. "I mustn't concentrate so strongly on my inner thoughts. I would likely have addressed you sooner." Andian half-turns to have a able view of both men. He replaces his sword within his hanger, yet keeps his hand on the hilt.

"I am known as Andian Eannon, I am a knight of the Frozen Way." Andian looks to the feet of the nude stranger, "Sir, if you would kindly outfit yourself with whatever normal garb you may own, I would greatly appreciate it. Perhaps then we may have a more civil diplomatic conversation. I feel if something dangerous is to happen, your belongings being far away would leave you at a disadvantage."

Andian angles his sight back to the other man, "I've heard that name recently. Before I was in these lands I was trapped in a cave with several others. I know nothing more than that about the subject you speak." After that he seems abruptly finished speaking. He reaches into his belt pouch and produces his journal, yet again. He writes, 'This is the third time I've heard the name of Corbyn. He seems to be a villain or otherwise hated enemy of a few people. I am currently in the presence of Vane, a man by the name of Johnathan, and a man who hasn't spoken yet. The unnamed man is smiling at me. He may not be a stable fellow.' Andian looks to Vane, 'And Vane seems to be taken with him. Its outwardly quite the quick courtship in skipping to one side being aptly nude. Especially before introduction.'

He pauses in his writing for a moment, 'I am now 30 miles away from the afore mentioned gate. In hopes that a settlement will be near.' Andian replaces his journal back into his pouch and puts his hand back on his sword hilt.
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
Euan
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Euan »

[bare with me on the dialect]

"Aye weel A feegured ye shoud nah be the anerly man wi his swuird oot!"

With this he dives into the water, surfaces a few feet from the bank and strides waist deep through the frigged water. He climbs out easily of the water and into the snow. Without giving any indication that he notices the wintry temperatures.

From under the snow he produces a cloth wrapped bundle. He then proceeds to dump the contents of the bundle into the snowy crater they were retrieved from, concentrating instead on the cloth. He wraps it around his lower body strapping it on with a leather belt. He tosses on a rough shirt and there is some sort of knot tyeing of the original cloth. The items that had been the contents of the bundle disappear into the folds of the cloth.

Seemingly finished. He takes a moment to look at the group and winks. Then he turns back to the hole and reaches in. He pulls out a large walking stick out of the snow. Its surprising. He stabs it down into the snow so that it juts up towards the snowy sky. Then he goes back to the hole one more time, and this time frees from the snow a sword. But not a simple sword, and not an intricate sword. A sword of simple but humongous proportion. Once liberated the sword stands at least as tall him and he is not a small man.

"Ma name is Euan MacDubh. A am sairy aboot ma tift fore, but she telt me that A needit tae wash an A wisna aboot tae anger her."
JonathanBreygan
New in Town
New in Town

Post by JonathanBreygan »

"I was in the cave as well Sir Eannon, Glad to see you made it out alright. We need all the brave souls we can get." Tamping out his pipe Jonathan Picks up his shield and snugs it onto his right arm. "Long has it been since I seen one wear clothing such as that Euan, and that has got to be the biggest sword I have ever seen."

Addressing all of those present he states,"Corbin is a fellow that was in Haven some time back. From what I'm hearing he started turning into a dragon and betrayed all of us during the fight with the elves, slaughtering most of those that were there, including several of my friends."

His eyes get kind of a far off look for a second then he shakes it away. "No sense in just standing around, where was everyone headed?"
Jonathan Breygan, Undead Slayer

If men had wings and bore black feathers,
few would be clever enough to be crows ~Beachler