January One-day Event

What did you think of the last event? Post your opinions and disucss the comments of others here!

Moderator: Admin

Andian
Town Member
Town Member

January One-day Event

Post by Andian »

It was somewhat cold outside. The caves were close quarters. The Gms and Npcs almost outnumbered the Pcs. I would say it was a decent start toward my new character. The caves made everyone work together, rather than in separate gilded parts. I was able to have some really cool roleplaying scene with some of the people there. I wish I could have done more. Though I did feel helpful.

Before the game, I still had a few things to work out on how my character would react to certain events. I have a better idea of who Andian is now. :)

Mainly, I missed hanging out with my friends. I hope to make it to many more events.
Knight of the Frozen Way, Sir Andian Eannon
"Law is mind without reason."
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

... Summery

Post by Torakhan »

Thanks to weather, bad luck and general tardiness, the Friday folks (other than Durgan's player) didn't get to the camp until sometime after 9:30pm. The next few hours were used to set up the foundation for the cave and then off to the Troop House for many hours of... well, we shouldn't speak of that... With only one paying PC there, things were looking kinda bleak.
Saturday morning was set-up and by 11:30'ish everything was set-up and it looked like we were only going to have six or so PCs. But then they began to trickle in and by the end of the event there were a lot of folks (20 or more?), including at least 5 Newbies.
Taking place entirely within a cave, it was a cold event, but with everyone either huddled together under the makeshift shelter (within the Dining Center), crammed in front of the fireplace, or running around in the caves, I think most people were able to stay warm enough to enjoy the event. The characters and players all seemed to work cooperatively (for the most part) and I didn't hear too many gripes and complaints, so I'm guessing it was pretty fun for everyone.
Game break happened around 5-ish and lasted two hours. The players were pretty close to finishing up the plot and maybe by 8 it was all over.
Then it was back to the Troop House for hanging out, chatting and playing a board game or two before many folks split. Those staying the night got to bed relatively early (compared to Friday night) and got some okay rest.
Saturday did not have check-out to deal with, and with only the Troop House and the Dining Center to deal with, we were outta there by 12:30.

Thank you to everyone who made it out and I hope you all had a good time. Enjoy your new levels and new characters... you'll need 'em in '08!
Muah-ha-ha!
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Thanks to weather, bad luck and general tardiness, the Friday folks (other than Durgan's player) didn't get to the camp until sometime after 9:30pm.
We arrived at around 1:30 in the driving snow. I had never been to the troop house so I was completely lost. I walked into the Hannah House thinking it was the troop house and woke up a Girl Scout troop (I think I scared them pretty badly). Their troop leader was very helpful and pointed me in the right direction. ooops.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

want to thank everyone for coming. You guys weathered alot and did a great Job.

I especially want to thank those of you that came Friday- and Saturday morning to help us build the giant cave, and those who stayed on Sunday helped a hige amount.

If anyone was surprised to see me PCing, I was as surprised as you were. We had to dang many NPCs and it came down to who had their costumes.
Travis Cole
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

I had fun playing a warrior. I have been playing the wrong path all these years. :D

My hats off to the NPC's who played the monsters in the cave. Job well done on changing them and giving us something different to fight. It made everyone feel useful. 8) It also gave the PC's some great challenges. It was not the standard hack and kill.
GM-Taki
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Taki »

Like Nelkie, I had fun being a Warrior for a change. It's odd, though I know the Warrior path pretty well, I'm not used to actually using it. There was one time when Vince hit me for six and I stood there blinking for a second. I knew that I should be doing something, but in the heat of combat I was at a loss as to what. A half a second later I blurted out "Parry?!?" in a way that sounded more like a question than a call.

I'm also glad that Jim and I made the decision to hang around at the Troop house after the event. Seeing everyone OOG was very cool, and while I didn't get a chance to get in on the endless Talisman game, watching you guys was a lot of fun.

All in all I had a great time, and I'd like to compliment those who put the cave together on all their hard work. I'd also like to note that the new people I brought also enjoyed themselves and say they can't wait for next event.

Thanks to everyone, who, by their efforts and roleplaying, helped me sink the hook into what could be a whole new crop of players. :twisted:
GM-Taki - Final Haven GM, Winter Haven GM, Editor of the Rulebook Project.
Esmerelda
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Esmerelda »

Even being injured, I had a great time. Thank you to everyone for being wary of my back. Although I have to say something is seriously wrong when Esmerelda is shouting out military advice in the cave and yelling at eveyone that they're getting to spread out! :lol:

For a group that didn't really know each other, I thought all the characters really came together and worked extremely well with each other. And I enjoyed getting to work with Ingram, someone whom I'd never really interacted with all that much in game. The puzzles were really great this time! Although having to set them up on the floor in the middle of combat with wind blowing was a bit of a challenge.

Even with the extreme cold, there were some great role playing moments. I loved when Shea first showed up and she and Esmerelda were screaming they were so excited to find each other alive. I also loved Vaun and Esmerelda's exchanges about Atrum. It was also very fun interacting with all the new characters, be they played by a new player or old and finding out about them.

Kudos to both GM staffs for setting up an awesome event in a challenging situation!
Lady Esmerelda Harrison,
Queen of the Kingdom of Haven

"What if in order to save everything you hold dear, you have to become everything you hate?"
Shea Stonebrook
Town Member
Town Member
Location: On the way back to Woodhold from traveling with Connor (my husband)

Post by Shea Stonebrook »

I know it's lame I copy and pasted from WH...

The good: I had fun and was kept quite busy....which made me feel useful...sometimes when you don't swing a sword to fight the bad guys you tend to not feel as useful...surely not the case at this event....

Kahl thank you so much for coming to my aid...I loved that you heard my scream and came to find me!! You're so Awesome in you're new shiny armor!!

Wayne-I loved that little creature that helped us!! too bad some of them got killed....I heard there was 3 and Kahl saved one...(just what I heard) Nice that all creatures are not out to kill and devour us.

Role playing...I tried hard to stay in character...I know it was a long day and easy to "joke" around...the role playing was fun with everyone (especially Esmerelda, Dog, Modri, Dallid, Vaun and many others!! ) Shea is not a lady though and used to protest....I think she will have to start again.

THANK YOU so much!! I've never gotten a cool thing at the end of a plot!! this stone will be put to good use!! Anyone who knows me (even a little) knows exactly what Shea will use this for.

The Bad....
-crowded (but yea it was a cave)
-cold...but bearable...(like we didn't know it was going to be cold?)
-Trails out to the dinning hall and troop house, and parking...it was hard to figure out where was "safe" to park my car where I wasn't going to get blocked in or hit by someone speeding up to try and make the hills....I nearly hit Art's car on the way out cause it was on the side of the road....at the bottom of a hill I had to race to try and get over *shrug* I can't think of any solution to that...obviously everyone got in and out of the camp without injury/damage....

THANK YOU GM'S (that were there)!!! You all ROCK!!
In the cold and snowyness you GM's worked hard to give us a good time...and I believe very much succeeded. Thank you for all that you do!! It is appreciated!

It is was wonderful to see everyone and seeing all the new people who came. We hope to see you again!!

For those who didn't/couldn't make it...See you next Event!! I can't wait...we missed you terribly!!!
Shea Stonebrook

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath.