List of Suggested Rule Changes

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

List of Suggested Rule Changes

Post by General Maximus »

Here is a small list of rule updates that have been discussed. I just wanted to put them in one post.

1. Hold ground needs to protect against posion attacks.
2. Hold ground protects against frontal lash attacks
3. Can use parry and resit skills (magic, sleep, etc) when using defensive matrix
4. Can use press as many times as one has life points. If you have press twice, you can press 1 time per person per combat for free.
5. The new negative rule. Must draw a chip when healed at -10,-20,-30,-40, etc... Only a master healer can heal a person who is at -10 or lower.
6. The dwarf has a full posion resist for 1 or 2 life points
7. Regeneration update
Heals 1/2 life (round down) per 5 minutes or full life in 10 minutes. Skill can not be used while in combat, doing strenious activities, or using a skills. Can talk and walk while using this skill. combat relflexs can be regained while using this skill. The is skill can be stacked with other regeneration skills. Note: this skill does not heal negative life
Level 1 regen - 5 min to 1/2, 10 min to full
level 2 regen (2 regen skills) - 2.5 min to 1/2, 5 min to full
level 3 regen ( 3 regen skills) - 1 min to 1/2, 2.5 min to full

Mediate
Here is the new heal rate with regen skills
Level 1 regen - 5 life every 5 min
Leve 2 regen (2 regen skills) - 1 life every 1 min
Level 3 regen ( 3 regen skills) - 2 life every 1 min

8. Don't have to remove armor to get it repaired
Last edited by General Maximus on Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

If you have press twice you get one free. Not one per person. Per person is too much of a pain to deal with.

Also defensive matrix should also protect against frontal lash attacks. Both this and hold ground are based on non-magical melee type lash attacks which are npc only calls and thus can be explained that they are resistable or not at the time of the battle. (ie a gaseous cloud would not be resistable via these skills, but a spinning swordsman would be).
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

I don't really like the new negatives rule suggestion. I think we either need to leave it as is, or look at some of the non-negative suggestions. I thought Phil's were particularly good, but I didn't see anyone else reply except me. It might have to be tweaked a bit, but it would still slightly increase the risk of dying, make things more interesting from a role-playing sense, increase the usefulness of a master healer and remove the clunkiness that is negatives.

I don't want it to be horribly easy to perma-die/die. I don't see the game getting any less deadly in the future. I have said it before and I'll say it again, I think the current rules make things deadly enough.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

4. Can use press as many times as one has life points. If you have press twice, you can press 1 time per person per combat for free.
I like one per person per scene per time you have the skill. Otherwise, you get into "counter" wars. I guess you could always say that if your press is countered, you may no longer press the person who countered unless you have press an additional time.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

Hedi,

Death is a joke agian with the addition of some hidden disaplines, spells, skills, and alchemy potions. No one has to fear death any more. Only the unprepared will die because of negatives. In the cave this weekend, the only people who died to my knowledge bleed to death, where at -100, or their throat was slit.
Should a person fear going past negtaive 10 life, yes. Most people don't have even 10 life. I want people running into battle with 1-2 life and have nothing to fear because they got knocked down to -20 life.

Wayne,
I talked with eric about this, and the problem is trying to keep track of who you have pressed and who you have not during a battle. I can see , if you try to press a person and you are countered, you must wait 30 sec. If you have 2 press twice, you can press for free. Hmm, just an idea.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

You can do counter wars with other skills already. They are higher level but the result is worse if they don't counter. Press is merely allowing someone past.

Having used the press skill more than anyone else most likely, the one per person is tough to keep track of while trying to do everything else. I can usually keep track of the number of times I'm allowed to use it, but many times forget which person I've used it on (in fact I've done this with only two npcs once, but the battle was long and the oppotunitieswhen I used it were spread out). In addition, in cave combats, you can't hope to know which monsters you may have pressed.

If someone really wanted to get past someone, the defender will always win since they can hold ground (assuming a warrior).
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

Nelkie, if I wouldn't have known any better, I'd say that your a person who really likes knowing specific values :) . I have to say that I like Phil's idea for healing as well. If healing isn't going to stay as is, I'd vote for Phil's idea over anything else. It don't feel it reduces the fear of death as much as gets rid of an encumberence of negetive numbers. With the system that was mentioned, it's time that's the factor. It makes me feel that it's a little closer to a triage system. Sure you wouldn't have the idea of "I'm negetive 150, can you do anything for me?" Yet, there are enough times where a person is behind enemy lines and dies anyway. This would just make it so that if you got to that person at a much later time, it's difficult to heal them. Where if you get to them quickly, you can get them back up to 0, atleast. If one really wanted a lot of death in the game then they'd go for every 1 point of negetive healed requires a chip draw. I actually think we're just fine in the death area right now.

I feel having a chip draw every negetive 10 may possibly increase the fear of death. Yet, do we really want a game where 10 people may have to make a new character every game. *just speculation, as are most of these ideas without testing* Perhaps there are other ways to make death frightening other than mechanical. We keep getting closer and closer to a Game of Thrones sort of death where people may die of incurable diseases no matter what is done for them.

Edit: My thinking is on which proposed new system would have the best survivability. a system that makes it so if a person is -1, they only need first aid or if a person has been downed for a short time they only need first aid? A system that makes it so if a person is -150 they need complex procedures to save them or a person being left alone in critical condition for too long needing complex procedures to save them? In any of these systems, including the one we have now, you still need to draw a chip sooner or later.
Knight of the Frozen Way, Sir Andian Eannon
"Law is mind without reason."
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I keep getting confused of how death keeps becomming a joke when I did not see any rules change.

What rule changed that made death a joke. I do not know what hidden discipline you are even talking about
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

They are talking about paladin and mystic heal from druid.
Travis Cole
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

I thought we already decided on a change for mystic heal to once per person or kill yourself to bring them back to 0?
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I don't like the time system as being at low life should make you not want to enter combat. Under the time system, you can take a bunch of hits for someone or be used as a human shield with no negative. To me, using my buddy's body to hide behind should make it really tough to bring him back.

I'd totally just jump in the line of fire for the sages at 1 life this way, since it'd be a simple first aid to bring me up after the volley. This, to me, is a problem.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

Hmm, we have some people who hate negs, and some people who hate time.

What if you just died at 0, and we got rid of bleed out entirely? It would make you draw chips MORE often, but decrease the average NUMBER of chips you had to draw?

we could cover "human shield" as chip draw?

Warriors could bleed out for a minute as normal.

This is just rambling.
Travis Cole
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I rather just have positive life and negaitves life and you die in 1 or 2 minutes. Then you do not have to count once you are in negatives. make it simple. :)

Ofcourse that changes a ton of skils which is not easy.

As Wayne said we already voted the change for the druid thing so if that is the problem then the problem is mute
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

I have to say I agree with Ried across the board. There'd never be a rule that you could only attack someone once per person per scene with a certain skill, I don't see why there would be something like that for press.

A time based death system makes for too many cheese situations. I don't really see the problem with negative numbers. It makes it really easy to count them when you really only have one other thing to worry about. I'm not so sure adding another chip every 10 is the way to go either, but then again I don't know anything about the hidden skill.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

I don't really have an issue with it now, so I am just brainstorming.

I think we all need to decide HOW deadly the game should be, and then find a comprimise , and work the rules toward that end.
Travis Cole