Negatives

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Negatives

Post by General Maximus »

Many moons ago we talked about how negatives would work. Here is a recap because I want to add some tings to it.

1. At -10 and every -10 aftwards (-20,-30), a person must draw a chip. This is a cumlitive chip draw (aka, you don't put the chips back). If you draw a red chip you die
2. Any one can heal a person from -9, but a surgeon must be present and help to heal a person from -10 on wards

Eric, did I miss anything?

Now I would like to remove the rules for takig out the heart and head. Instead, I would like to just use the new negative rules and make a new rule saying, if a person spends 5 minutes to destoy a body, that body can not be resurected. Note: you need the majority of the body to resurect a person. head, torsoe, limbs.

Now you have 2 choice's to kill a person. Beat them down into deep negatives to force them to draw chips or just spend 5 minutes to destroy the body. Note: a dead body still can take damage when it is dead!
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

I really liked Chris' idea:
Maybe a better thing to do and it would be simplier was to get rid of the notion of negatives. If you take damage that knocks you into negs then you are in negs. if you happen to be in negs for less than 1 minute then all you need is first aid or a potion.

If you have been in negs for 2 minutes then you need a potion or a surgery.

if you have been in negs for 3 mintues then you need super extrodinary measures.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

At first glance, I do not like that idea because of the following 2 reasons

1. It removes the fear of running into battle at 1 life. It does not matter how much damage one takes as long as you have a person with first aid to heal you. And first aid only takes 20 points.

2. It is to easy to just stand there taking 5 30 booms, than have your friend pull you out and use first aid. It is cheesy, but can be easly done.

The fear of death will be negated with this suggested rule change. Also how would the extra bleed to death time factor in?
Slisk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Slisk »

First Aid is being changed to heal up to 0 from any negative value?!?

Why not just keep it as it is - Heals only 2 negative points? That's always worked well as a level 1 ability!
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

1. It removes the fear of running into battle at 1 life. It does not matter how much damage one takes as long as you have a person with first aid to heal you. And first aid only takes 20 points.

If we increase the first aid time to perform to one minute (It stops the bleed count) it still makes healing in combat difficult. If you drop, someone with first aid needs to get to you and then spend one uninterupted minute healing you to zero. Then, you are still at zero. We could also put into first aid that if you are interupted, the patient dies.

To me, that makes fighting at -1 more scarey because it doesnt matter if you get hit with a "two" from a weapon or a "30 Magic". The result is the same, you are bleeding to death.
2. It is to easy to just stand there taking 5 30 booms, than have your friend pull you out and use first aid. It is cheesy, but can be easly done.
Not droping when you are out of LP is called cheating not cheese.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

It currently takes 1 minute to use first aid right now. People get drug out of battle and healed all the time. Also first aid still only heals up to zero life right now.

I have seen battle where a person gets hit by many effects at the same time and drops into deep negatives. They sweat bullets knowing it will be very hard to heal them up to zero life. Great efforts are used to heal such people and create suspense and RPing.

Changing to what is suggested would remove the fear of negatives and not as many people would die. The fear of dead would be even lessened than it is now.
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

Going along the "simplify" lines.. (actually maybe not so simple)..

Character is at 0 LP - Injured (this is what a person would say if they were asked their condition). character is still concious but unable to defend himself, walk or talk above a whisper. (can still crawl). Any further damage immediately moves the character to Badly injured.

Character is in Negatives for 1 -59 secs - Badly injured - requires a lvl 1 or better healing potion or First aid or better. Character is still concious but unable to defend himself, move or talk above a whisper. any further damage immediately moves the character to incapacitated.

Character is in Negatives for 61-120 secs. - Incapacitated - requires a lvl 2 or better healing potion or surgery to be brought to 0. character is unconcious and completely helpless. Any further damage immediately moves the character to Dying.

Character is in negatives for 121 - 180 secs. - Dying - requires surgery (or other means discussed a little further down). Character is unconcious and completely helpless. Further damage has no real effect. although things such as limb removal and the like might still eb possible to increase the chance the character may not be revived.

Character is in negatives for 181+ secs - DEAD and all that implies.

Now with this system it might make the Rping of dying a little more fun at least.. no more Healer running up.. "condition?".. "Ummm -3?"..

Also a few current skills would need to be re-looked at.. Such as Healer "Transfusion".. as well as Empath "Transference". They will work as written but I believe something shoudl be added to allow them to help heal people that are in the negative condition.. as they have had this ability in the past, they shoudl continue be able to help. What I am thinking may be a little radical but this is only a suggestion.

"Transfusion" - The healer can transfer life from one target to another. it takes 30 seconds per life point transferred. The Healer cannot drain more than a target's positive Life point total nor can they heal a target beyond their maximum life point total. Both the target who is donating life points and the target receiving life points may not move during the transfer process. The Healer must be present for the transfer to work. As well if a character is "dying" then the healer may transfer the life of one target (him/herself included) into the patient.. bringing both the patient and the target being transferred to 0 life points, this use of the skill takes 1 Minute and the patient is considered "stable" during the transfusion.

"Transference" - Empaths can drain 2 life from a target, even themselves, and give another target 1 life point in return, up to the character's maximum life point total. This ability takes a 20 count to activate and the Empath must be touching both targets. At any time the Empath takes damage or moves, he/she is considered interuppted and must make the 20 count again. The Empath can only drain positive life from an individual. Thus, once a player hits 0 life they may no longer be drained. A final use of the skill is to transfer the life of one target into a "dying" character.. this use takes 1 minute to perform and the empath may not use him/herself as the transfer target.

Add "stable" in the rules - "Stable condition" - means the character is currently being healed and may stop counting for life loss.. but if the healer is interupted the injured character must resume his count where he left off.

i think that is all I have for now.. just some thoughts based on what I saw in this thread.. these would also require some simple rewording of a couple other skills but nothing major.. I think the hardest thing people would have trouble with is remembering the names of the levels of wounded.. but just like the rest of the rules we learn what we can.
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

I personaly do not like the change becaue it takes the fear of dieing out of the game. The only reason a person would die under these rules if they are unprepared.

I personaly believe the current rules have lessened the fear of death and I would like to see it more deadly when a perosn goes into deep negatives. This should force people to RP more of their wounds and stop people from running into battle with a life point.
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

Maybe a better thing to do and it would be simplier was to get rid of the notion of negatives.
^that is the system NERO uses and their game is broken because of it. The 'average' character at my chapter dies once every 5 years, and in NERO you get two free deaths before you even have to make a chip draw. The only way to die is to be given a killing blow, because everyone has first aid.

So after 10 years of the same character, you might red-chip
GLOMP!
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

I really like your suggestions, Phil.
Mike: For the majority of you, choosing to use a packet instead of a weapon is a hindrance because your aims suck.

Travis: Crap he is on to me.