Disenchant

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Unless the GMs want to start sending out monsters that die in one disenchant at the same rate that we see undead currently.
Such as Golems....or Kabuki dolls
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

I agree with Temple on this one. I would argue that the primary function of alchemy is transmutation or buffing (that and healing). This is not the case with arcane, which has broader functions that often involve blowing stuff up. Therefore the disenchant skill to the alchemist would be far more devastating than it is to the arcane so that would seem decidedly unbalanced to me.

Likewise, increasing the arcane's buffing ability because it is the only one effected by disenchant also seems wonky in my mind. If the arcane's buffs were better than the alchemists, I cannot figure out any reason why someone would play an alchemist (at least not a level 4, especially after we clarify some misperceptions about Kandiam). I would play a healer arcane and be able to do it all. Much like the Sage, the versatility of the arcane (as well as the ability to level a battlefield) is what makes the arcane good.

No, the alchemists should have the best and widest array of buffs because that is what they do. The fact that Reid says they are about the same makes me think, if anything, that alchemy is underpowered.

Now, as for Disenchant, is it underpowered? I don't think so. It just feels that way because of the number of times it could be used, but there are lots of skills that are situational like that. The fault is not with the skill but with us, as Travis said, for not supplying you all with more opportunities to use it. Now that you do not have anyone with that ability, you may have noticed that we have begun to reverse that trend. That was not intentional, of course. We did not know that there were no disenchanters when we began filtering the opportunities in. Hopefully next year there will be lots of things to disenchant and that the majority of those will be behind locked doors!

One last thing. We probably will not be sending a bunch of creatures that are effected by disenchant like we do undead because quite frankly undead are simply easier to create...for arcanes :wink:
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

I would imagine that homunculi aren't that easy to phys-rep; as undead would be.
Knight of the Frozen Way, Sir Andian Eannon
"Law is mind without reason."
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

GM_Chris wrote:Sage could be using their internal magics. :)

You have a good point on this one Aaron.
Specifically says in the metaphysics preamble "the sage doesn't use magic at all..."

If that is being repealed, then lets do it formally. There has been much controversy about bending metaphysics as of late....
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

marduk wrote: If that is being repealed, then lets do it formally. There has been much controversy about bending metaphysics as of late....
I would like to call attention to both the smiley face in Chris' post and Mikes entire post
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Also,

Yes, disenchant might not work metaphysically with disenchant. You could definitly RP it as a magical (mystical) effect. Heck you could play a sage and touch a person's forhead and tell them they have recieved new knowledge.

Oh and metaphysically, every person has essence (magic) in their veins. A great example would be Starwars the RP game. Every charcetr uses the force regardless if they believe it exists or not.

Just some thoughts on how to look at it.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

To revive a dead horse only to flog it with a can of worms:

I would argue that alchemy is a transmutation, changing what something was into what it is. Thats not an enchant, it's change (example, I use acid (an ingredient) to burn down the tavern (changing it), can you disenchant puddle of debrie into the tavern again)

Sagacious wisdom is a transference of knowledge, RL educators don't enchant children with knowledge. Disenchanting would just be casting a very selective amnesia (Puzzle, if I can use disenchant to cause you to forget how to administer a potion or dodge an ax, why can't I make you forget how to administer first-aid, or how to become enraged?)

Disenchant is named dis-enchant, as in it only removes enchatments. (If it just destroyed magic, I'd have taken, PvPed the arcanes and removed all their powers.) Take that for calling a game-stop
GLOMP!
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

Wyrmwrath wrote: Such as Golems....or Kabuki dolls
One NEVER sees Kabuki dolls at Winterhaven. Never. Ever. :D