Disenchant

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Disenchant

Post by General Maximus »

I was thinking about disenchant last night.
It currently removes all active magical enchamnets/buffs on a person and their items.
Is the skill underpowered? How ueful is the skill? Should disenchant remove all buffs from a person (magical, alchemy, and sage)? Should disenchent remove active buffs on a person and on their items?

Why should only 1 buff be affected by disenchant, why not all 3?
If disenchant only effects magical buffs, should they be more powerful than alchemy and sage buffs?

What are your thoughts
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

my thoughts are that it makes no sense in the context of the game. Why should a witch hunter, for example have any power over some knockout tips that a sage gave? I understand you wanting to make a blanket simplicity to the power, but in that simplicity you lose a little bit of flavor.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Sage could be using their internal magics. :)

You have a good point on this one Aaron.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

So, your saying that a sage's words of encouragement would have magical properties. Interesting.
Knight of the Frozen Way, Sir Andian Eannon
"Law is mind without reason."
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Nope not saying that either. :)

I am just throwing stuff out there. Expand your mind as Morpheus would say
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Disenchant could be a non resistable magical attack that brings a person there standard/normal state. Disenchant would be the combat version of the clesing rite and potion. It blanks people's minds, stops benifical potions in a person bodies and dispates all magic from a person.

Now I also see some spell's and potions that would not be effected by disenchant to keep some stuff balanced. the spells and potion that can not be disenchanted would be a higher level and more powerful becasue of it.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

The best part about the sages buffs is that they can't be disenchanted, that and the fact that they don't cause you any negatives is what balances them against other buffs. Take either of those away and you should look at making the buffs better.

Adding more confusion with what can be disenchanted and what can't isn't worth making disenchant all powerful IMO. Disenchant is a situational skill, but when the situation comes up it's really good to have. The situational skills are what they are, they'll never seem as "powerful" as the skills that are combat or resists.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

I figure with the freedom to rationalize the source of powers and skills ill just RP my skills having a source of OOC mechanical rules and therefore they wont be affected by a magical clensing effect since they arent magicly powered....
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

If arcane buffs are the only ones that can be disenchanted, than I would like to see the arcane buffs becomemore powerful to off set the the disenchant negative. Alchmey curently has the best buff's in game.

Should all buff's be equal? The difference is where they are coming from and what each branch can do.

Sage buffs can only reduce skill time
Alchmey transforms people and things
Arcane does shield and enchants items.
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

I've never actually used any of the time reduction sage buffs. I've always gone for combat reflexes. *Though this new character I'll be playing won't have that. I'll have to think of getting something else now.*
Knight of the Frozen Way, Sir Andian Eannon
"Law is mind without reason."
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Arcane does shielding buffs, can copy resists, can affect an entire battefield of people, even the ones they can't see, has utility spells that let you crumble the walls of buildings and such.

Really, the arcane spells aren't good enough thing is really old now, everyone that plays an arcane or an alchemist thinks that the other is better. Different does not = better, it equals situationally different. You want to walk up to someone and beat them down, be an alchemist, you want to be able to do any lower skill in the game be a sage, you want to be able to be safe from harm and still be able to do massive damage or a good amount of damage to a large group of people be an arcane.

Truthfully of the 2 sytems I know well, and the 2 I got to see in action a couple of times, this is the best one. They managed to make all 3 very different and still be balanced in what each offers. Others may have a different opinion, that some systems may work better, but I would say do they keep things seperate as well and not just copycat another system in the game.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Sage buffs are also "free". That's a pretty nice bonus.

Sage - free low reward
Arcane - resource cost.
Alchemy - limited production.

That's how I'd rank em on buffing. Alchemy and Arcane are neck and neck. Stockpiling counters the limited production somewhat and Arcane has an IG cost and time. Sage should be on the bottom as they are free to hand out with only a time value.

Making disenchant work on all wouldn't really bother me. It might get someone to take the skill! And on that alone, I'd go with changing it. The fact that it affects alchemy and sage buffs doesn't really reduce them in power. It only makes a pretty low powered 4th level skill "somewhat" more useful.

Unless the GMs want to start sending out monsters that die in one disenchant at the same rate that we see undead currently.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

3rd level. disenchant is 3rd level.
Travis Cole
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

and i remember a couple games where people with Disenchant were needed very badly.. It is a very situautional skill.. all in all I would say a little underpowered for a 3rd lvl ability.. but primarily in it's usefulness.. I would not change it though.. it is one of the skills that the GM's IMO just need to work into at least once a game or so..
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Aidan_Mcpryde wrote:and i remember a couple games where people with Disenchant were needed very badly.. It is a very situautional skill.. all in all I would say a little underpowered for a 3rd lvl ability.. but primarily in it's usefulness.. I would not change it though.. it is one of the skills that the GM's IMO just need to work into at least once a game or so..
Exactly
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~