Arcanes and Armor

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Malphus
Town Member
Town Member

Arcanes and Armor

Post by Malphus »

Is there an armor limitation for arcane, because I can't find one in the book...

Steve
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Well you cannot wear armor and cast a ritual. You can wear armor and have the arcane discipline.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Malphus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malphus »

Not to be a rules monger, but is this defined somewhere in the rules? Or is this something that is stated in the specific ritual description?

Steve
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Apparently was left out of the book on the last edit. It will get back in.
Chris
Malphus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malphus »

it makes sense, but I just didn't see it in the book.

Steve
gingerswenson
New in Town
New in Town

Post by gingerswenson »

Is that all armor? Or is there an exemption for special armor? Or for helms? Do you need to IC remove the armor? How does that all work?
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

For now, there is no Arcane armour restriction due to an oversight. If there was an armor restriction, you would have to remove your armour phys-rep before you could use the skills that have an armour restriction
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
gingerswenson
New in Town
New in Town

Post by gingerswenson »

ok... thanks...
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Just an FYI it is an oversite so yes an arcane could technically wear full plate and cast spells I personally would take that as cheesiness.

And since such person would then be labled as such in my mind I assure such people that any and all research that comes in from him/her woud be much delayed as I go through it with a fine tooth comb to ensure that you are not attempting to cheese something out of the rules that I am missing.

Such people could also expect any during event ruling would probably become out again your neutralagainst your character since I would think such people were yet again attempting to be cheesy

-Chris
Chris
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

I wouldnt consider it cheese because its not in the rules. Not everyone reads the boards. That being said, those who do read the boards, please do not cast while in armour.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Oh yeah fair enough there. I know it when i see cheese.
Chris
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Well, I'm making myself blind to this thread... :)

Othewise, my plan of having Ka the Arcane devestate the elven armies is toast... lol
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

I asked this same question on Aug 07, 2006 and got this answer:
WayneO42 wrote:There is no armour restriction for arcanes in general. Some rites may require the arcane to follow an armour restriction though.
I don't consider an arcane wearing armor cheese although I could see the utilization of some effects requiring you to shed some armor (For example, abilities that mimic the empath ability requiring no armor heavier than light).

I'm also not sure where "spellcasters can't wear armor" came in as something people should just KNOW, except that it's traditional fantasy faire, not nessesarily Final Haven. Arcanes aren't empaths. Armor should be restricted by specific spells, not by the whole discipline, just as specific potions are, otherwise you are just pounding another nail into the corpse that is Arcane.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Well armor restriction was in there and was missed so everyone who knows it is a mistake should not take advantage of that mistake.

Again I dissagree. I think the arcane is a very usefull discipline.

Arcane will not allow you though to be like a D&D mage. BAsically an arcane spell will not duplicate every other skill in the book. Likewise neither will alchemy.

Arcanes are highly distructive, but I tell you want, wait until after this event when I utuize a bunch of Elven arcanes and when i am done you tell me your oppinion
Chris
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

GM_Chris wrote:Arcanes are highly distructive, but I tell you want, wait until after this event when I utuize a bunch of Elven arcanes and when i am done you tell me your oppinion
I'm not saying GMs don't play fair, but how an NPC (army at that) performs has no basis for me being impressed about a discipline or path, even less so arcanes, because you can throw as many magic components as you want at spells against the PCs, have as many arcanes as you want as well as whatever spells you want, even if they don't exist. Wiping out the PCs with NPCs does NOT impress me. Ever. Let me repeat that: EVER.
GM_Chris wrote: Well armor restriction was in there and was missed so everyone who knows it is a mistake should not take advantage of that mistake.
When, at CARPs? I have a copy of the 2005 rulebook, I'm looking at Arcane right now and it doesn't have any armor restrictions, so it's been a LOOOOOOONG time since that's been in the rulebook. It's a sad state of affairs to accuse people of cheating on a rule that doesn't exist and isn't common knowledge (Even if you seem to think it is). It hasn't been in a book for at least three years. We have a lot of players who have been playing for a shorter period of time than I am and it wasn't in the rulebook when I started.

It's statements like these that make me CRAZY, Chris and you just keep running with it and throwing out all kinds of insane statements:
GM_Chris wrote: And since such person would then be labled as such in my mind I assure such people that any and all research that comes in from him/her woud be much delayed as I go through it with a fine tooth comb to ensure that you are not attempting to cheese something out of the rules that I am missing.

Such people could also expect any during event ruling would probably become out again your neutralagainst your character since I would think such people were yet again attempting to be cheesy
If you can look at that again and tell me you think that is a reasonable statement, considering the fact that NO PC HAS DONE ANYTHING WRONG and even if a PC had done this, it's NOT a rule IN THE BOOK. IT is NOT common knowledge that Arcanes can't cast in heavy armor, oversight or not it's at least a THREE YEAR OVERSIGHT and to start saying you are going to use your godlike GM powers to make the game hell for everyone who doesn't know something that isn't common knowledge (You only believe it is based on your perception) and isn't in the book based on a mistake the PCs have NO CONTROL over really burns me up. Not everyone reads the boards (Or should have to, to play), and even if they had, this is the FIRST TIME someone has said it was an oversight. The only person who replied to my same question thread last year was Wayne and he said it was probably based per spell, so this isn't the first time it's come up. Hell, I'm sure I wasn't even the first to ask.

I will probably regret the way I worded this post later, I would have liked to be more diplomatic but at this point I am steamed. Thanks.