Hold Ground

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Hold Ground

Post by General Maximus »

Here are the rules for hold ground

Hold Ground
When hold ground is initiated the warrior gains 10 temporary life points, and all melee attacks delivered to the front side of the warrior that deal damage to the warrior's armor or life points are reduced to 1 point. This damage is taken off armor first even if the attack is "vorpal" (See pg.
84). In addition, fear, sleep, knockout, and press effects do not affect the warrior; instead they take one damage, taken from armor first. The warrior also becomes immune to taunt. Attacks to the rear of the warrior affect the warrior as they normally would. While hold ground is active, the
warrior cannot use other charged or activated skills except for "resist" skills such as “Resist Magic” or “Resist Poison”. While holding ground warriors cannot move their feet. At the end of hold ground, the warrior’s life point total is reduced to zero life points or remains at its current
total if it is less than zero life point.

Any thrown damage would do full damage to a warrior who is holding ground. Is that correct. So If a warrior is holding ground and gets hit by a 30 magic ball of engery, they would take 30 damage?

Also, what is the ruling on gas lash sleep potion? Is not that potion banned from the game becasue it is so unblanaced?
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Any thrown damage would do full damage to a warrior who is holding ground. Is that correct. So If a warrior is holding ground and gets hit by a 30 magic ball of engery, they would take 30 damage?

Correct
Also, what is the ruling on gas lash sleep potion? Is not that potion banned from the game becasue it is so unblanaced?
It is not banned nor is it unbalanced provided that the alchemist is using the correct version. Anyone who has the potion or formula, please PM me and I will send you the correct formula. The new one is more harsh than the old one.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Donovan Thynedar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donovan Thynedar »

This brings up something that had me curious.

When Donovan looked at the setup prior to the battle to rescue Gau on Saturday night, he thought the town was done for. Fighting against a fortified position with a host of prepared, inaccessable Empaths is one of the worst situations he could imagine. He saw the front line surviving two volleys at best - the first would annihilate the shield part of our shield wall, the second would blow nearly all the life and armor off of our warriors. The third, when it came, would effectively decimate our front line.

As the battle continued I heard multiple rounds of 30 booms, multiple rounds of 18 booms, and at least four Rivers of Stone - but our front line remained intact. I was surprised by it then, and given Nelkie's question I'm wondering how it happened. Are people just a lot cooler than I gave them credit for, or was there some misinterpretation of the rules?
One should rather die than be betrayed. There is no deceit in death. It delivers precisely what it has promised. Betrayal, though ... betrayal is the willful slaughter of hope.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

A few on the front line thought ALL incoming damage was reduced to 1 point....they were incorrect.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
Donovan Thynedar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donovan Thynedar »

Ahh. That's what I was afraid of. So we should have gotten creamed.

Good to know.
One should rather die than be betrayed. There is no deceit in death. It delivers precisely what it has promised. Betrayal, though ... betrayal is the willful slaughter of hope.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

creamed, liquified, vaporised, sublimated, atomised even
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I picked up the calls a bit to compinsate for what I thought was something that was not correct on your end. :)

The volleys would have come a bit slower.

The rivers of stone were 8 damage and they could have taken to or 3 of those assuming the empaths were only doing 1.

It worked itself out you just didn't kill as many as you thought you did. :)
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

Hmm I have another question about hold ground. It protects one from sleep and fear. What about lash fear and lash sleep effects?
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

n addition, fear, sleep, knockout, and press effects do not affect the warrior
Travis Cole
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

thats a good question. I would say for simplicity sake that it would
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

This was brought up previously in my conversation with Chris after the battle, but shouldn't Poison be in the list for Hold Ground? It's mainly designed around the effects that would cause you to, in one hit, drop hold ground and that is an effect that would cause it.

Also, on the lash sleep, since potions cannot be thrown (this was beaten to death years ago and I remember the outcome as we wanted to use packets and were specifically told no) wouldn't lash sleep put the user to sleep unless they had resist sleep?
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

the potion in fact does that. and is even worded thusly.
Travis Cole