About the ball...

What did you think of the last event? Post your opinions and disucss the comments of others here!

Moderator: Admin

Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

It's a game. Respect other Players.

Post by Torakhan »

Wyrmwrath wrote:
I think what seems to be going on is that you are saying what happened after the elf keeled over wasnt RPing. Anything a player has his or her PC do, that is motivated by how the PC feels and thinks, IS role playing.
... If those responsible for the elf keeling over had waited when their chance showed itself, just because it would "ruin the ball", then they ARENT role playing. RPing ignored OOC influences when making decisions as the PC (or NPC actualy)

...however i think its nearly insulting to imply that those responsable for taking down the elf were motivated by a desire to "ruin a lot of other people's fun". ...Slamming somone because the event you planned didnt go as you wished, when you planned for it to happen in such a chaotic and dynamic setting, is unfair and just trying to shift the blame for your dissapointment , from where it should be placed.
The issue here is that we are all here for "fun". It's not a job and we expect some OOG courtesy so that while others can have their "fun", we can have ours too. I could come in as a character who just kills other folks and when he dies, make a new character who just gacks people again and again. However, that's not fun for the players, even if it is legal and "roleplaying".

The comments expressed in this thread though are based more on the idea that the "poisoning of the Elf" during the Ball happened because of GM or NPC influence more than PC influence (I think Chris mentioned a certian NPC was responsible? I wasn't there for the event, so I don't know what happened first-hand.) IF a PC had done what had happened then so be it. (They'll get the grief from the other players later I'm sure.) But if an GM/NPC created the scene that stopped the party that Players had spent time and money on in order to create a roleplaying scene that didn't have to deal with fighting or conflict (for a change), then I'd think that there is some legitimate concern. The fact that others reacted to the instance rather than saying "fuck this, we're going to enjoy our party anyways and deal with this later since we've put OOG time and energy into it" shows that they had more dedication to the Game than someone who was less understanding of their own wants and needs of the Game.

Emotional instances of roleplaying that don't involve combat are rare in our game because conflict is SOOO easy! Want to rile folks up or make people angry? Just start a combat, or aggrivate someone. Scenes of merriment, joy, pleasure and fun are much harder. Just like how some people have a hard time seeing how RP happens without combat in a LARP (or in many games), some folks really enjoy roleplaying when there isn't conflict as a catalyst. So why not let those people have some fun too? At Ian's funeral, I asked the GMs to hold off on any combat so that we could have that emotional moment. And it was INTENSE! It was a fantastic moment of roleplaying that I can honestly say would have been destroyed if Ga'vin had come in and attacked. There needs to be that sort of balance. And even though Jim's character came in as the ceremony was ending with more "antagonism", at least he waited until the end of the ceremony instead of just rushing in and wrecking the scene for the players.

Yes, all reactions should be roleplayed, but nothing (that I've read) in the rules says that I can't dump red dye (or at least water) all over a $500 costume either and claim it as "an in-character action" without some sort of OOG reaction from you as well. OOG courtesy is all I think most folks are asking for. The same goes for other OOG concerns, such as the time and energy put into the ball and the scene. Discouraging such events will lead to less attempts at it.

I think the 9-11 time slot was a great idea. I think "time management" (perhaps that the party didn't start on time due to other plots wrapping up and entrance to the party took some time, etc.) may have lead to the end of the party ending "early". Maybe for future GM plots, something more along the lines of "two hours after it starts" would work better?
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
Zaire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zaire »

I have to agree with Brian. The Ball was an In Game event, the fact that the GM's decided not to run any combat during a small period was more that fair, it was down right amazing.

As was explained to me, once game starts everything is in character. I loved this fact about the game. If I have to risk dying in my cabin while I sleep then a ball is no way sacrosanct. If a character wants a special event to happen without worries of invasion or duelling, then they better make sure security is tight.

I had just settled down for some delicious food at the inn when animals stated attacking. I choose either to help fight or sit and eat, both responses creating their own consequences.

I understand the frustration of planning something grand and watching it not go the way you had intended, but don't think of it as being ruined.

Instead think of all the drama and intrigue that was sparked during your Ball. A foreign ambassador of a nation on the bring of war, is posioned or assaulted, during an influential and important society event. Talk about right out of French history.

The players and GM's should be thanking you for providing an incredible backdrop for a integral and needed political event.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I agree with Zaire.

I also think that all things considered the timing could have been a touch better, but as with all things LARP all Life we rarely get perfection.

You know I killed Atrum. I Killed him in 5 seconds. At the ends of 5 secnds I was blown up by an empath. Boy it would have ben such a perfect scene if it happened on count 4. :)
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

A correction...

Post by Torakhan »

I misunderstood Chris' post where he said
Since Treeman never actually killed the elf the ball could have continued or at least continued after events were taken care of.
I thought he meant that Treeman had poisoned the Elf, and since the Elf haddn't died, the ball could have continued.

That's my mistake for misunderstanding what he meant. My appologies, Chris.
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

What we expect...

Post by Torakhan »

Zaire wrote:Instead think of all the drama and intrigue that was sparked during your Ball. A foreign ambassador of a nation on the bring of war, is posioned or assaulted, during an influential and important society event. Talk about right out of French history.

The players and GM's should be thanking you for providing an incredible backdrop for a integral and needed political event.
I don't think anyone has a problem with what happend, just when. :D

I think we'd be silly not to expect something tragic to happen during something fun at FH. But there's still that want of at least enjoying something for a brief period that isn't just combatcombatcombatdramadramadramacombat all of the time. Especially since many of us didn't do our usual "game break" to get away from the combatcombatdramadramacombat ;)
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Role playing is about having fun making a PC, crafting its histories and acting as that being would act and watching as the world reacts to that being.

I have had this conversation on a different RP related forum. If bad stuff happens to your PC, a true role player doesnt gripe, he or she enjoyes the twist of the story.

In this case IC stuff hindered the fruition of OOC effort. It sucks a little, but think of it this way; If the GMs had worked a month to make a life sized dragon prop for next event for en event early saturday evening and sometime friday a few PCs unexpectedly steal and sell off the item that would have released the dragon and allowed the use of the ragon prop. Now the plot wont happen cause the dragon will remain trapped. More OOC effort whose full effect was hindered by PC In Game actions. It Sucks, but to be honest that is what makes LIVE ACTION ROLE PLAYING differ from ROLE PLAYING; its very dynamic.

Do I want to see events such as the ball stop? Hell no. DO I think its unfortunate the elf incedent stooped the flow of the ball and no one re kindled it? Yes. Do I think the conveyed resentment and sour feelings about the way things went are in line with what RP, specificly LARPING, are about? No. Can I understand them. Yeah. I just cant fathom having a "take my ball and leave" response over this.

As a total aside, although Nate did not technicly attend the ball, the spread and decore was top notch. Two thumbs up!
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"