Can you heal a person while they craft

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Yes
40%
no
60%

Total votes: 15
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Crafting equals weapon making, repairing, potion making, or spell casing

Or is using a healing skill.

Basicaly heal a person who is healing someone else.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

I'm thinking that maybe there needs to be a definition of what constitutes being interrupted somewhere in the book. I've always thought it was being hit (damage not neccesary), pressed, or using a skill.

but I don't think you can lump weapon making and potion making in there. Those have passive parts to them.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Well I have not said what the ruling is. :)

But since you asked healing would dissrupt.

Why? Well I have a hard time thinking a person can sit aounf hammering on a sword or casting a spell, or brewing potions all the while somone is following you around attempting to heal you how ever they want to RP that healing taking place.

Basically to be healed you must be still.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Depends on where the cut is. :)

I f I had a wounded leg I could lay on my chest and still brew potions. but generally, no you couldn't do anything, at least effectively.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Torakhan »

dier_cire wrote:Depends on where the cut is. :)

I f I had a wounded leg I could lay on my chest and still brew potions. but generally, no you couldn't do anything, at least effectively.
As far as I know, other than the "gathering" time, potion "brewing" is an oddity among skills. While "performing" brewing, you really aren't performing any action.. you're just watching things bubble. You couldn't be "healed" while having your armor fixed while you're bottling your potions though (if that requires a mechanic.)

I guess I'm gonna answer here for all of these questions:

"Healing" someone through the skills of a "healer" seems to imply a still body to work on... a body that is prepared and somewhat focused on being healed... whether that be a person calming and letting a healer physically heal them, or someone letting a healer use their mojo to knit their body back together. I think a list of skills that CAN be used while being healed would be more simple than one that can't. I'd say you can't be healed (unless by a potion?) while you are performing any skill or else it has to be restarted.

I think that if someone wants to be healed while they are having their armor repaired, they MUST take it off... even if it's real (the price for being healed and getting armor repaired at the same time). But that's just my thinking... I'm not looking at other "combos" when I say this.
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
Shea Stonebrook
Town Member
Town Member
Location: On the way back to Woodhold from traveling with Connor (my husband)

Post by Shea Stonebrook »

a definition of disruption is needed....I very much agree....I mean if you're attacked then YES you are disrupted but what about "other things" an Empath gets disrupted if they get "bumped" by another person!!!

My thought was... if you are NOT using "life energy" to charge a skill (you're only repairing armor or brew a potion) then the "life energy" that it's taking to heal is not being disrupted. You are just moving around more than "normal". Anything "magic" like casting a spell or a boom because, it seems, like magic would disrupt magi. That would be an issue. I'm assuming that the healer is laying a hand on the injured. (bumping the other person)

I've never seen "healing" as putting band-aids on...if I have 6 life and I'm healed for 5 of it in 4 min then it is WAY more than applying direct pressure, and elevating the open wound...It's own kind of "magic". Contact with the injured, unless it's "surgery" doesn't have to be on the injury itself. Kind of like a potion heals....from within.
Shea Stonebrook

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath.
Laura
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Laura »

I agree with Shea On this one. If it is something that normaly would not be interupted by an attack then healing should not affect it either!
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
~Henry David Thoreau~
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Crafting and Healing are mystical, not physical?

Post by Torakhan »

Shea Stonebrook wrote: I've never seen "healing" as putting band-aids on...if I have 6 life and I'm healed for 5 of it in 4 min then it is WAY more than applying direct pressure, and elevating the open wound...It's own kind of "magic". Contact with the injured, unless it's "surgery" doesn't have to be on the injury itself. Kind of like a potion heals....from within.
I can't see forging a new weapon in 1 hour, or repairing an entire suit of armor in 5 minutes. The "times" it takes to do something in the game are hastened for the benefit of players (need to go to the town 10 miles to the North? It's just a 5 minute walk too.)

But if you're trying to rationalize how healing has to be mystical to happen so quickly, I guess "Armor Repairing" could be seen as supernatural as well then. We don't need tools or even need to have someone take stuff off (in the case of Real armor).. it could just weave itself too. Just as with Healer, nothing states that it's not a supernatural effect.

Personally, I think healing (unless there's a magical item, or other issue) should not be a supernatural effect. It should be blood to the elbows and sutchers and bandages to get someone back on their feet in one piece. Or maybe expressly make that for "First Aid" at least. Maybe an Empath-Healer makes more sense for mystical-healing... but that's just my thought on the matter. I know it's fantasy and we don't want players sitting around for "real" ammounts of time to "heal" and all so I'm not suggesting longer heal times or the likes (fun and function vs. realism). I guess I just don't like seeing everything under the sun being magical or mystical. "Oh, I can clean those pots for you... with mystic magic." To me, it seems boring that way. But again, it's just my thoughts.

I would love to see a need for phys-reps for Healing and Crafting (tools, bandages, etc.) ... but that's for another thread.

So, again... I guess my answer is "If a person is being active with their body while being healed/having armor repaired ON them/having a spell cast on them and it's not being done by a magical artifact or item... then that casting/reparing/healing has to start again OR have their count paused until they are done doing whatever they are doing... then once they are done doing their skill/action they can be targeted again and resumed." if that makes any sense to anyone else. *L*
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

As with every skill in the game, healing can be mystic if the healer wants it to be. It is all in the rp.the mechanics of the do not define the nature of the deed.the doer decides.
Travis Cole
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

As with every skill in the game, healing can be mystic if the healer wants it to be. It is all in the rp.the mechanics of the do not define the nature of the deed.the doer decides.
Travis Cole
Shea Stonebrook
Town Member
Town Member
Location: On the way back to Woodhold from traveling with Connor (my husband)

Post by Shea Stonebrook »

It is a game....and I guess that it does depend on the RPing involved...

Shea's mother was a healer and passed that along to her, her father was a craftman but had to "teach" her how to craft...there is a difference...at least I thought...if not why are there differences between paths and disciplins?? You can learn paths but they are very costly point wise and take a long long time to aquire...especially master abilities.

I see a craftsman more as a learned skill than Healing an in born ablility (isn't that why you can not unlearn "paths" but can unlearn disciplens??)
Shea Stonebrook

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath.
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Healing...

Post by Torakhan »

Shea Stonebrook wrote:It is a game....and I guess that it does depend on the RPing involved...
Taki believes that in earlier versions of the book, it was mentioned in Healer that it was either physical healing or mystical, depending on the character (Donovan, for instance, is a mystical healer in origin). But that wording seems to be removed from the current description.

I guess I see a "healer" of the physical type being a doctor/surgeon/practitioner. In my mind it would make more sense to put "doctor" under craftsman and "Healer" under Empath... one is good at some parts of fixing folks up, while the other is better at others? Make the distinction? HOWEVER that doesn't mean that that is how the game mechanics SHOULD be--doing something like that is just a way to make the rules more complex to do a similar end-task (to fix folks up to fight again quickly, or bring them back from dying).

No player (well, very few) wants to have their character unable to stand or walk for 6 months while they learn to use their legs again, so the mechanics allow for either physical or mystical healing to work as quickly just for the convenience of the players.

However... I still don't think that you should be able to actively craft something, or repair something while being healed. Nor should you be able to have your armor repaired upon your body while your armor is being repaired.

I think that if you are holding ground... and not being attacked you can be healed, but as soon as you attack or are attacked that healing is disrupted.

If you are being healed and are attacked, the healing is disrupted too.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Re: Healing...

Post by dier_cire »

Torakhan wrote:However... I still don't think that you should be able to actively craft something, or repair something while being healed. Nor should you be able to have your armor repaired upon your body while your armor is being repaired.

I think that if you are holding ground... and not being attacked you can be healed, but as soon as you attack or are attacked that healing is disrupted.

If you are being healed and are attacked, the healing is disrupted too.
See, unfortunately, rules wise, you have to make exceptions to do what you just said. Exceptions are bad... When we were being attacked by the worm, we all got potions to keep us up. It's expensive but necessary while using a skill. I have no issue with not being healed while using ANY skill.

Course, with armor repair, if you aren't wearing it, can it be repaired? Is the benefit gained from real armor in game or just out of game so you don't have to lug it on and off to have it repaired? That's a good question.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Donovan Thynedar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donovan Thynedar »

I've been playing that real armor can be repaired while being worn so long as nothing disrupts the craftsman.

I don't quite get what you're asking, Reid. Why couldn't armor you're not wearing not be repaired?
One should rather die than be betrayed. There is no deceit in death. It delivers precisely what it has promised. Betrayal, though ... betrayal is the willful slaughter of hope.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

What I'm asking is whether the benefit of "real" armor is in game or out of game. Are you really taking the armor off but just not the phys rep, or does "real" armor give some mystical in game game benefit that allows a craftsman to work on the armor while you wear it?

The first choice means you can be healed or heal while having armor repaired. The second means you can't.