Final Haven, April 13-15th Event

What did you think of the last event? Post your opinions and disucss the comments of others here!

Moderator: Admin

Kels
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kels »

Damn I am Sexy!!!!! LOL
"Fear is only in your mind."

Captain of the Black Talon Unit
"Leadership is found, not chosen."
Phoenix Guard

Dick VERMEIL is a smooth mother

"If it moves Shoot it!"
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

As much as I'd hate to see Scotts face any more then possible..

That would make a great cover for the new 'fancy' rulebook.

~the Lunatic fringe~
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

We can lay FINAL HAVEN across his face to lessen the turn-off I suppose...

I also wanted to thank everyone for a great event. I had a fabulous time and was just what the doctor ordered after a long long off season. Thanks again to the wonderful cooks for feeding my belly all weekend. There's a reason I kept going on the plots that targeted the inn and those that didn't I tried to find an excuse to get them to the inn.

The role playing was outstanding and I wish I could have been at the funeral. Your committment to this game really makes everything worth it and it makes it exciting and enjoyable to work on so again thank-you.

I would like to encourage others to respond in this thread, even if and especially if you have only negative things to say. Through those comments our game improves and evolves and it is invaluable to the process
Laura
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Laura »

Over all I loved this weekend. I love the new site it really made me feel more in the moment and I really felt like I was in haven. It made things feel real. The Role-playing this past weekend was great. I got to role-play with a lot of different people. The Highlight of this role-playing was at Ians funeral. There was not a dry eye in the place. And then there were the dreams. Thanks Phil/Ian! To me it gave me hope that we could go on and do what needs to be done.

Another moment for me was Ug when we were sitting there trying to figure out what to do about the Juggernaut?
" Oh Oh OH.... Could you be more Vague.”?
The fact that we all could not stop laughing and we even had the NPC (Adam) on the ground laughing it was just fantastic.

Another nice moment for me was walking around the wood with Repete. Jim you did a great job playing him. The fact that all it took was to take cookies always form you guys to have you confess. It was great.

Also there was the drunkenness at the inn Saturday night. It was funny to watch all of them. If I just walked in off the street I would have really thought they were drunk. The best part to me was watching them all get up in the morning and make a bee line for the bathroom because they had to pee so bad but It was like they all had hang over. Over all it was just plain funny!

There are only a few semi negative comments that I have the first one would be that there was in my mind not a lot of small combat. It seemed like everything we fought was either going to kill us all or there was only something specific that could kill it. I understand that the new site made it had to be in two places at once. So I know why I just thought I would mention it.

The other complaint I would have is that both Friday and Saturday night it seemed like there was nothing to do. After Ian funeral there was nothing. We were all waiting for something but there was nothing. I got the most sleep that I have even gotten at a Larp this weekend. I am sure that I am sticking my foot in my mouth with this comment but I know that I have heard from other people that they were disappointed on how early the plots ended especially Saturday night!

Over all I liked this past event. I think that those of us in Haven got closer and we got to understand out characters a little better. I would like to say thank you to the GM staff and NPC's for all your hard work as always. And to the PC's thank you for everything. Yeah for the cooks and baker!
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
~Henry David Thoreau~
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

Here's a neagtive comment

'Damm that jugernaut, he destroyed my doors!' :P

The event was great and the new camp ground was asome.

The combat was great and very challenging. I had to use many different strageties to over come our foes, which I loved. great job everyone!
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

After years and years of fighting to stay out of the politics in Haven and dying the event after I decided to join the fray all I can say is...It's good to be the King. :P
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
Slisk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Slisk »

Excellent event! Had a great time. Looks like all the topics I wanted to hit all ready have been. Both love and hate the divided PC arrangement. Adds some nifty dynamics, a danger factor to travel that’s always been missing, but cuts down on PC interaction. I think the PCs ought to be able to work that out, though – the two camps can always just visit each other more often (and thus create more NPC waylay opportunities!). Kudos to the GMs for organizing and running this fantastic LARP, and to the PCs for providing the top notch RP that makes it so enjoyable!
Tullus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Tullus »

The event seemed great. The PCs and NPCs did a great job. Yet, for me, it wasn't the best.

Possible explanations for this: I hadn't left my stress at home, I didn't try my best to interact, I was ignored by pc/npc populous, etc..... I prefer to think it was my mounting stress, sense I definitely don't feel I was ignored.

I apologize to those who tried to roleplay with me and didn't feel I was really up to it. The only very exciting point for me was the diseased troll attack and I'm still somewhat saddened that only the npcs fighting me saw me in action.

I was really happy to see that others were able to get some seriously emotional roleplaying underway. I've had more roleplaying moments in my past of this game than I feel most have. I guess I'm saying, this was a great event for me to be audience to great acting and fighting. I'm hoping that the next event I am able to make it to will have my normal high spirited self in attendance.
"When I was younger, I could remember anything, whether it happened or not."

-Mark Twain
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Da April Game

Post by Torakhan »

For one reason or another, this event really seemed to tug at character development and dug deeper into character reasoning and actions than many other games we've played. Maybe it was the excitement of a new location, the beginning of a new season, or a lot of very important happenings that were directly character related instead of NPC/Plot related (Donovan's return, Ian's death, Corbyn's official position with Rodrick, etc.) But whatever the reason, I was very entertained with this event.

The seperation of the camps (and having to cross NPC camp to get from the Keep to the Inn) was a great treat. Sometimes you could hear screams in the distance... other times you had no idea that the other locations were even under massive attack.

I think (at least for those who are a part of the Inn especially) the greatest factor of the whole game was Ian's death. Even with all of the big plots and moral decisions that happened through the event, I think it was Ian's death that really hit the nail on the head when it we needed an emotional compass. I really want to thank the GMs and NPCs for giving the players time to really get into character. I don't think anyone who was part of the "Super Sneaky Snacky Time: Town Edition" would complain that they wished more had happened (but I guess I could be wrong). Yeah, there was some more fighting after the funeral, but there was a nice good amount of time for the funeral, as well as grieving time afterwards and then the night for players just to cut loose and show just how the town really acts between events. I guess that's part of my comment too--The town isn't always under attack. There are nights (in game) when folks are just hanging out, enjoying each other's company and their duties. This was one of those rare times when I think a lot of people were able to play up one of those moments we rarely get to see... it wasn't a special event, it wasn't an orchestrated party. It was just folks being folks and I'm glad it was able to happen.

And for anyone who missed the funeral (whether for IC or OOC reasons), it was amazing roleplaying and a fantastic scene. (I'm trying to create an illustration out of it.)

I won't go into my character here, but I'll say I'm still not sure where he's heading... it's new territory. I REALLY hope we can get some more fires going next event. *L*

I do have a few issues about the game/location though (mostly easy to fix).

The first is that we may have to do a little more "dressing of the set" when it comes to the Inn. The chip-board walls, bright lights and bathrooms seem to destroy a lot of the fantasy mindset for me. Candles, Decorations and keeping the lights turned off/down seem like they’d help that a bit though.

The second is that I think we fed the NPCs a little too well. If they were giving us more attention because we were giving them food when they died, then I hope they were treating us fairly and/or not just giving us problems so that they would have an excuse to stop by for cookies. Maybe we’ll have to institute a “if you attacked the Inn within the last half-hour, you don’t get to eat” rule. ;)

Finally: We need a check-out sheet for each of the buildings AND folks who leave before clean-up NEED to at least help in some way (this has ALWAYS been a problem, I know) whether it be spending time picking up cigarette butts, making sure fighting fields are cleared, or taking care of bathrooms early in the morning. I know some folks are in a hurry, but 15 minutes helping can be figured into your "check-out time". Maybe we need to reinstitute the "bonus for staying to clean up" rule in some way? (stay after for 3 games for at least a half-hour of real work cleaning/taking care of things and get a commodity or something? Maybe $5 off an event, or put into a drawing for a free event? Just a thought.) But I think if we had a check-off list, we might not miss as much as we did in the future.

So, basically my only concerns are pretty simple and not really that big of concerns anyways. Whoot.
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Was there a problem with the cabins being dirty? I thought we did a pretty good job at cleaning the keep. In fact there were a couple of times where I went to do something and it was already being handled.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Cleaning

Post by Torakhan »

dier_cire wrote:Was there a problem with the cabins being dirty? I thought we did a pretty good job at cleaning the keep. In fact there were a couple of times where I went to do something and it was already being handled.
Yeah... some things here and there. The Keep and NPC house were pretty good, the Inn needed more work though. But I think a check-off list would help wonders too. Maybe the Camp Master has one.
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

The Fort was good except for a few spell packets left in one of the towers. In the Inn we had to take out the garbage, pick up cigarette butts, clean the sink, clean some grease off the stove (very little though), and remove some items from the fridge.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Torakhan »

WayneO42 wrote:The Fort was good except for a few spell packets left in one of the towers. In the Inn we had to take out the garbage, pick up cigarette butts, clean the sink, clean some grease off the stove (very little though), and remove some items from the fridge.
Hopefully there wasn't much trash (I took the bag out about 10 minutes before we left. Someone put a new bag in and I hope it only had a few things). I'm a little saddened about the cigarette butts. We may have to enforce a "carry a ash can" rule or something (I have an idea or two).
I think that a check-off list will help with the other things though. Sorry we left you guys to do that stuff though... I think the last folks in the Inn honestly thought everything was taken care of.
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

Do what we do at Winterhaven, since it's technically a no-smoking scout camp but we've been given leeway, as long as they don't find butts. Tell people to carry something with them to put the butts in, we use altoid cans. You may want to remind people that if it becomes a problem they could loose the smoking privileges for everyone.
Mike: For the majority of you, choosing to use a packet instead of a weapon is a hindrance because your aims suck.

Travis: Crap he is on to me.
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Butt...

Post by Torakhan »

Kalphoenix wrote:Do what we do at Winterhaven, since it's technically a no-smoking scout camp but we've been given leeway, as long as they don't find butts. Tell people to carry something with them to put the butts in, we use altoid cans. You may want to remind people that if it becomes a problem they could loose the smoking privileges for everyone.
I have access to many types of tins, including the verticle type with the closing tops. Wrap some leather around these and it might work. Or I know I've seen tin cups with leather wrapping and a cover cap somewhere... might be able to do something like that too... something so that we can attempt to make it look "period" (you remember in the history books where the Elves fought the Dragons with the help of Lizard Men and Zombie-Bombs?...)