Shatter: The cumbersome

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Shatter: The cumbersome

Post by cole45 »

I propose we change shatter so that it does not calculate against the breastplate total. This is a little weird and very counter intuitive.

I propose we make it like every other call. It surges if it has no number and actually affects you if you have no armor points. (this could be added with : if it hits a weapon it triggers no matter what. but I don't care for that.) If shatter has no number and hits a weapon, it blows it up. it doesn't surge all the way into the armor in that case.

Remove the calculation of medium/heavy armor, and if it hits your life, your armor explodes.

Pros:
Call would be exactly the same as every other call, making it easier deal with.
a call of Shatter would be the same as a current call of Shatter 3

still parryble with number.

Cons: No differance between medium and heavy.

seriously, this call is so rare, that the wording should be as standard as can be so people can remember what it does.
Travis Cole
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

So you are suggesting that we change shatter to:

If you are hit with Shatter then you loose all armor and weapons you are caring? Light armor is immune?
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

No. I am suggesting

Shatter: If you are struck by shatter, your armor is destroyed. If your weapon is struck by shatter, only it is destroyed. Light armor is immune to this effect. (we could add that it doesn't surge through shields if you wanted to go that way. I suggest not. )

and this way, it automatically only counts if you have no armor points left AND surges with no number. clean, easy. powerful yes, but ULTRA rare.
Travis Cole
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I like what you wrote, but then I read

"automatically only counts if you have no armor points "

Makes no sence to me since shatter works only if you DO have armor points.
Chris
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

I like what you wrote, but then I read

"automatically only counts if you have no armor points "

Makes no sence to me since shatter works only if you DO have armor points.

What I mean is that if we use it like other calls, shatter can only apply if it hits your life points or it is a surge call.

3 shatter would deal 3 damage, an IF it struck life, engage the shatter effect. A raw shatter call, with no number would work fine. so would a vorpal shatter call.

edit.

we can change our idea of shatter from the instant vaporization of armor to the raw beat down of armor.

I swing 3 shatter and I hit you. you take three. you have armor left, it doesn't shatter. I hit you again, and now your medium armor is zero and the shatter call applies. Your amror is SO broken by the force of my attacks, it can not be fixed.

now if I want to represent the instant vaporization of armor, I swing raw shatter, no number and kABOOM. or I swing 1 vorpal shatter and KABOOM.

now shatter can do both kinds of effects. (if we make it like the other calls.)
Travis Cole
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Actually we need to get rid of the number because since shatter effects armor it would not be like posion and disease. It would be wierd to have to hit LP's to effect the armor you are wearing.
Chris
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

I agree it would be weird. But you don't havr to get rid of it, you can just not use it that way. If you leave it, you can use it for the slow beat down of armor if you want to too.

Really how often do we heard 3 fear? It's still there to use if we want.
Travis Cole
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Yeah, but it doesnt make sence

What is the difference if you swing 3 vs 3 shatter if 3 shatter will not take effect until AFTER armor is gone. Shatter only effects you if you have armor for it to effect, but you have already beat it down with damage.
Chris
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

3 shatter vs 3.

3 shatter would BREAK the armor. IE: no repair. you would have to get it fixed.

3 would leave you armor to be fixed.

basically, 3 shatter(how i'm thinking) would represent some big monster just beating you and your metal armor into a fine pulp.

regular, numberless shatter would represent a NIGH supernatural effect.(instant destruction of metal)

Unless....shatter doesn't break/ruin armor it just reduces it to zero.....that's not the case is it?
Travis Cole
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Wait, we are talking about making an unneccasarily complicated rule just as complicated just in a different way. Why not just have the shatter call work like any other non number call, surges and works everytime unless you have some sort of defense to it and make it extremely rare and never a PC skill. All the other options make you do more math on the fly which is always more complicated.

"Lets see my breastplate is 3 but it's quality so it's 5 they called 5 does that mean it worked or not?

Vs

Shatter!.... Damn! And you should already have a # for your life.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

How about:

If struck by a shatter call, all the armor the target is wearing is permanently destroyed. Any armor points the target may have had are immediately lost. If the target had no armor points left at the time they were struck with the effect then any weapons they are weilding at that time are destroyed.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

I wanted to ask on this myself, Why it got a work over in the first place?

Originally "Shatter" meant 'Shatter'. If I hit a weapon its destroyed. If I hit a sheild its destroyed. If I hit Armor its destroyed. Simple.

This is an ULTRA rare NPC only call. Its not going to be used all the time.

~the Lunatic fringe~
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I like Todd's explanation, simple and easy to follow. If it hits you it destroys your armor, if it hits your shield it is destroyed, and if it hits you weapon, it is destroyed. Make light shields and light armor immune and you are all set.

In other words, I like Wayne's but with out the surge into the weapon part and add that if a shield is hit, it is destroyed.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

I think I would like something along these lines:

Shatter - When any piece of tagged (Maybe non-magical...) equipment worn, or carried, is struck by the Shatter call it is considered broken or destroyed. Only one item may be struck by a single shatter call, and if there is a question the target player chooses which was struck. If a player is struck in an unarmored area with shatter the call surges and destroys another location's armor instead until the target is totally without armor.
Last edited by Onimaster on Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I wouldn't worry about breaking armor up by location. And ultimately how many items that are tagged that aren't armor, weapons, or shields would fall under shatter? I'd be annoyed if I got hit with a shatter and lost my hide resource.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.