need feedback on Barbarian

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

GM_Chris
GM

need feedback on Barbarian

Post by GM_Chris »

We have a suggested change I am on the fence about and would like feedback.

Biserak(TM)*
The Barbarian may call upon their inner rage and enter Biserak(TM)* frenzy. While in this state, the barabarian swings for one crush (Must have both hands on the weapon), gains x life points, and becomes immune to press, taunt, and fear.

While Biserak(TM)* is active, the barbarian cannot use other charged or activated skill except for rage. At the end of Biserak(TM)*, the barbarian is reduced to zero life points
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Malphus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malphus »

I like that you have taken ownership of your status as spelling challenged. I have, however, no input on the skill. I am just waiting to see if it is a joke.
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

Nope. Hes serious. Well about the skill anyway, if not the spelling. This would replace the current 'crush' rules if we decide its how we want to move.

~the Lunatic fringe~
Ian_McAllister
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ian_McAllister »

An interesting suggestion..

Although I would say to compare it to other 4th level abilities.. take out the gaining life portion, have it cost a life point to activate. Also I would say take out the immune to taunt.. if anything the Berserker would be even easier to taunt into action.. My opinion.
Your Knowledge cannot save you,
Your Magic cannot save you,
Nothing can save you!
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

Good point. The theory is to make it a small anti-hold ground. But keeping it balanced is essential.

~the Lunatic fringe~
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Personally, I liked the old version better. In the long run, this seems weaker as once you enter, you can't exit. The lack of vorpal is nice but offset by the fact that you can't use a shield, thus taking more damage. I think it'd become a last resort type skill which a 4th level shouldn't be.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

A couple notes

Current crush you cannot exit at will. Also, current crush you can use a shield, but can only swing 1 while using the shield.

Any thoughts on fear as a 3rd level? Resist fear is 2nd and the more I think on it the more I am thinking cause fear should be 2nd as well.

The problem is the barb is not as up to par as it should be, but not weak enough to want to nessissarily change anything
Chris
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

I pesonaly believe it is to powerful.

Bonus - swing 1 crush, + to life, immunity to fear, press, taunt, can use rage

Negative - can't use a shield (minor hinderence), and drop to zero life (drink a potion and you are up and running again). Can't use any other skills. The negatives do not outway the extra bonus's

Compare that to the current crush skill

Bonus - swing 1 crush and can use rage skill

Negative - cost a life point skill, can not use any other skills, has a 5 sec cool down period, and take vorpal damage when hit (a major issue)

The current crush skill has more negatives and no where enough bonus compared to the new concept. If a change like this is going to take place, than Vorpal should be upgraded to. I agree the crush skill is a little week, but the change seems a bit much.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

You also cannot compare just 1 skill.

You also need to look at armor restrictions.

Currently Barb has no armor restrictions and I would like to inact medium armor.

Anyways compare the barb to say a knight in 1 on 1 combat. Assuming both are equal OOG fighters.

The barb currently has 1 option and that is full armor, shield, rage swing 2 and then go head to head with the knight.

Now if the barb decided to go shield and 1 crush then then the knight destroys the barb. The knight would drop shield swing 3 and would need to his the barb about 3-5 times? The barb needs to hit the knight 30 plus.

But then I look at crush against the mob of non warriors and it is pretty tough.

Then I look at crush against a warrior and it is pretty lame.

Oh and since crush makes everything vorpal then the barb looses the combat reflexes gained at level 2. Pretty lame.

Just making sure everyone knows all the thoughts,
Chris
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

I agree the barb taking vorpal is lame and so is the swash bukler taking crush is lame. Changing that and balancing would help.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Swash is different. Here you have 2 weapons and you swing voral. This is an extreamly deadly combo and I would argue more devistating than crush
Chris
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Yes vorpal is more nasty than crush, but taking crush while vorpal makes is a hit and run skill. A vorpal peson needs to sneak up to someone and us it or run the chance of just being beat down in your light armor because everthing is crush on them. Both skills are neat, but underpowered becasue of the negatives. I'll need to think on it for another suggestion.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Disagree on the hit and run.

2 weapons swing vorpal. with life plus light armor soak.

Normal dude swings 1 and has life

others swing 2 with shield and has life.

Vorpal dude has 3 to 6 more soak than everyone else.
Voral dude has more soak.
Vorpal dude does = to twice as much damage.

Assuming all things equal and you trade shots/dodge then vorpal dude wins.
Chris
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

If everything is equal, the vorpal guy will always loose becasue they take crush damage as they vorpal and swinging 2 weapons does not spead up the amount of damage you can do. It is based on how fast you can say the damage. You can swing 1 weapon as fast as swinging 2 weapons, but are limited to amount of damge you can call out. 2 weapons don't give that big of a benifit. Also, you just have to hit the vorpaling person weapons to do damge to them. Not to metion there is no bear hugging in the game, so have fun trying to get around a shield all the you are taking damage. Vorpal is a hit and run skill, or you will just die if you try to go head to head.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Possibly
Chris