New Critical Strike

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Lao
Town Member
Town Member

New Critical Strike

Post by Lao »

Is this usable with ranged weapons?

Can someone critical strike with a throwing rock, bow, X-bow, throwing dagger etc etc?
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

I personally think it should NOT be usable with ranged weapons, or even with weapons bigger than a short sword (IE no polearms). That makes it REALLY unbalanced in my own humble opinion and way too overpowered with it's current (perceived) lack of restrictions.

If a rogue can "critical strike" someone with a polearm, large weapon or ranged weapon, it also really detracts from the idea of a rogue as a swift fighter and opertunistic damage dealer. I see critical strike as the rogue analizing the best "weak spot" to hit their opponent in, which should require them to be in reasonably close proximity.

Also, another question on this: Let's say someone wasn't in the same room and I couldn't even see them. Could I still charge a "Critcal Strike" against them? Can you move once it's charged (I figured yes, since it doesn't say otherwise)?

I'm glad to see something implemented that makes rogues more desirable to play, but I too am curious about these details.
Mike: For the majority of you, choosing to use a packet instead of a weapon is a hindrance because your aims suck.

Travis: Crap he is on to me.
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

Meant to respond to this one before but my internet was down.

Critical strike is meant to replace Backstab, and is thus a 'melee' skill. As yet no ruling has been discussed as to a 'maximum weapon size' although it wouldnt be bad to look into so as not to screw the pikeman. Although is it possible to combine them? Something to look at.

Once its charged you can move, although I think you must be able to see your target. I dont know what happens if you lose site of him, then find him again. I assume that as long as you havent hit, or been hit it would be ok.

~the Lunatic fringe~
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

Okiedokie, thanks for looking into this! :) I forgot to check and see if you could previously backstab with a pike. The same rules should apply, either way, probably.
Mike: For the majority of you, choosing to use a packet instead of a weapon is a hindrance because your aims suck.

Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Yes, must be a melee attack.

At this time there is no reference to minimum size weapon for the skill, but remember using a pike just makes it that much easier for someone to disrupt your charged critical attack by tapping your longer weapon even just once.

The Critical strike skill does not stack with other charged melee attacks like the pikeman vorpal or the druid crush, but does with the Assassin' critical strike. Those are separate active skills, and you cannot use two separate active skills at the same time unless the rules specifically say you can.

No, you cannot charge a targeted skill unless you can actually see your target. Needing a target doesn't mean you choose someone arbitrarily and then go looking for them, it means you have to have them in your sights and actively target them.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Yeah, what Matt said. Critical Strike must have a target in sight when being charged. You are studying the victim for the weak spot. You cannot move while you are doing this. You cannot be touched thereafter or you lose your skill. The skill can be blocked and parried and does less damage than backstab did. I'm not sure it is as powerful as you think it is.
Lao
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lao »

If it is in fact not usable with ranged weapons can it please be reworded before it is implemented into the rulebook to make this clear. Right now the way it is worded means pretty much any weapon which would include things like throwing daggers, bows, etc etc. I personally dont see a problem with it being usable from range...but if its decided it cant be please just make it clear in the rules. The thought of an assassin who cant assassinate from a distance seems kinda silly from a realism point of view, but then from a rules perspective you end up with a full rogue level 1 archer able to do 9 vorpal with a bow...not sure if this is broken or not...totally up to someone else to decide. I just hate ambiguity.

Thanks,
Evan
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Yep, and I meant to add that we do appreciate people pointing out rules that need better clarification before the new rule books are posted. That is a big help.
Ian_McAllister
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ian_McAllister »

I guess one quick question I have is, like "Backstab".. when you use "Critical Strike" do you call it.. Example.. 9 "critical Strike".. like you used to call 12 "Backstab"? I would assume so, but I thought I would clarify first.
Your Knowledge cannot save you,
Your Magic cannot save you,
Nothing can save you!
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

No. Since the call is no longer location based you just call the standard damage call with nothing else attached like any normal strike. Unless there is something else passive in nature enhancing the attack such as poison or an enchanted weapon (magic).
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

This is kind of related:

Will the exotic items Curved Blade and Balanced Blade be direct changes since backstab is no longer in the game? I just happened to notice them when I was looking through commodoties. Or will these items no longer function?

CB gives the wielder +2 backstab and BB gives the wielder -3 chargetime to backstab.

Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

Curved blade may need to be changed, but Balanced blade will only have the wording changed. Reblace backstab, w/ critical strike.

~the Lunatic fringe~
Ian_McAllister
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ian_McAllister »

I guess this would be a good time to bring this up again.. With the special daggers especially the Balanced Blade... it is possible to do something on the order of a 5-8 critical strike for 0 seconds... something I brought up for backstab a while back.. might want to look into it.. just my 2 cents.. if not I am sure I will get over it.. hehe.. says the rogue.
Your Knowledge cannot save you,
Your Magic cannot save you,
Nothing can save you!
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Yes, if there is a combo for a 0 second charge on criticle strike it is way too potent to exist. Thank you for mentioning it Phil.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

Somebody PM me with the other half of the combo. My mind is drawing a blank.

~the Lunatic fringe~