Weapons Length Restriction w/ Shield?

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Zyth
New in Town
New in Town

Weapons Length Restriction w/ Shield?

Post by Zyth »

I recently played in my first event (at Winterhaven) as a warrior, and am hoping to have a weapon made for me for next year. I have one question about rule restrictions.

Is there a maximum length of sword a character can use while carrying a shield? The backstory I had created for my character has me carrying a long saber, and I want to make sure its phys-rep is legal.

Thanks in advance,

Mike (Zyth)
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

In the rulebook it does give lengths (ranges of lengths actually) for 1 handed, hand-and-a-half and 2 handed weapons. There are no in-game bonus for using a 2 handed vs a 1 handed sword. So it mostly comes down to what you are good with and what looks good/appropriate.

Since we're talking about latex/foam weapons it is feasible to make a weapon that can be weilded one handed that never cound be if it was made from metal. Also remember if you are using PVC, longer it is the more flex it has (That is when you get the wiggle attack going). You probably want something to that is a little longer that a real metal version of what you want so that comparable to other weapons in play.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

So the answer to you question is that you are allowed the maximum legal length weapon(79 inches.), shield or not.

Weapons over 79 inches are allowed(techincally), but ONLY if SPECIFICALLY approved by the weapons Marshal. All weapons must be approved by the weapons marshal, but the extra long ones will take special precautions.

I would suggest being very carefully with over length one handed weapons. They CAN NOT be swung over the head, and the 45-90 degree rule is still in place.
Travis Cole
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Yep, there is no rule against pairing longer weapons with shields. In fact historicly it happened quite often. The Romans were particularly known for using shields and spears/short-spears together.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Zyth
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Zyth »

Thanks for all the replies. I was thinking of having a weapon about 56-60" long overall.

Don't worry, I don't ever see a situation where I would even want to swing the sword over my head or attack downward. The way I see it, having this long of a weapon could even be a disadvantage because it takes longer to swing it repetitively.

On the bright side, though, this should stop me from the cursed "Wa-wa-wa-wa-wa-wa-wa..." thing. :D

Thanks again,

Mike (Zyth)
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

You may want to get some quality sparring in with your weapon before the event. I have fought sword and board for years and anything over a shortsword sized weapon is pretty hard to control. You will get eaten alive by someone with claws. I would suggest making the weapon the length you want it and then making a few backup weapons at shorter lengths (like 45" and 30"). Then spar with them all until you find the length you are comfortable with.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Zyth
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Zyth »

Thanks for the advice. I used a spare weapon of a friend's last Winterhaven which was about 36" or so, and I found myself swinging too fast. I may try a 45-50" weapon first, like you said, to see how I feel swinging it one-handed.

That said, the advantage of a longer weapon with a shield is that you may be able to score hits a little more easily while holding an enemy at bay with a shield. I may be completely wrong, though. Time will tell. :)

Mike (Zyth)