After the Ball

A cold bed and a warm ale. Blood stains the walls, but it looks like the Bar Keep is standing...for once.

Moderator: Admin

Tullus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Tullus »

*Tullus looks up from his table he's been sitting at for quite some time. He wipes the sleepiness from his eyes.*

"Well, that was a large bit of drunkeness on my part."

*He looks confused at all the talking*

"Did I miss anything?"
"When I was younger, I could remember anything, whether it happened or not."

-Mark Twain
Ah'Jewll

Post by Ah'Jewll »

Walking in to the inn with her eyes down cast, a women dresset in blue and white walks up to lady Roamund and site next to her.
Last edited by Ah'Jewll on Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

Sen, having listened to the entire debate, comes out from behind the wooden doors seperating the kitchen from the rest of the in. He has bits of food on his face, and his hands are covered in flour.

“Lady Kathryn, I am but a humble servant. It doesn't matter to me what flag flies. It changes very little in our day to day lives. But, life in Haven is hard. There are near constant attacks from foul beings and foreign armies wishing to take this fetid rock out from under us. We certainly could use the help. I do not speak as a leader, just as a concerned citizen of Haven.

I believe that the people here will rail against the notion of giving up one's total sovereignty. What if Haven were to become a Vassal state, instead of a direct part of the realm. That is to say, we would be treated as honored friends, protected, and sheltered. Help would be given if needed. We would still have our own laws, our own ways and our own rules. Our borders would be ours.

What if it remained this way for one year, giving us a chance to evealuate Lord Roderick's rule. Many of us might be convinced at that point of his intentions, we would know more, and Lord Roderick would know more.

This might be an acceptable compromise.” Sen says, cleaning the flour off his hands on his shirt.
Travis Cole
Kathryn Skress
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kathryn Skress »

*To Elder Corbyn*

My apologies, you are correct; I neglected the issue of coin. King Roderick has begun to arrange a system of coins, which was unfortunately much delayed by the war with Hildebrandt. Presently, there is a barter system being used by much of society, with Letters of Rights, or "IOU's" if you will, being used by those in higher tiers of society.

As for your question of "betters," I believe the term may be being misconstrued. It should be read as higher-ups, or some such. For example, the peasantry will report to the local Thane, the Thanes will report to a Baron, the Barons report to a Duke, and all of the Dukes report to a King. I hope that is more clear? Freemen such as yourselves will also fall within the jurisdiction of a Thane.

I hope that answers your thoughts as well, Kels. It is a system of authority, more then what race is better then any other.

*Kathryn glances to the still-rumpled Tony*

I wasn't aware there were laws here as of yet. Last I had been informed, the Council still hadn't published any. Overall, yes, I would most certainly agree that it is far more pleasant to have laws.
Alexander Nautice
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Alexander Nautice »

Lady Kathryn, Elder Corbyn.

I am but a transient and an admitted guest of the Haven, but if I may interrupt...Is Haven under some form of threat? Has she been able to defend herself and provide for herself since her establishment? As far as I can see and more than I am confortable, this is a thriving community. In these times, she is among the most dense points of civilization for many miles. What pupose would be served by swearing fealty to King Roderick? When I was young, I learned the lesson of dabbling in politics. My advice, admittedly unsolicited, is to stay as independent as you can for as long as you can. The price you pay to be part of Kingdom may be more than you are willing to pay.

No disrespect intended, Lady Kathryn.

*Lex resumes his drink*
Kathryn Skress
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kathryn Skress »

*Kathryn smiles a very slight smile*

None taken.
Corbyn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Corbyn »

Haven is constantly under threats of the most aggregious nature. We have been driven from our homes twice, and were barely able to retake them. So far we have always triumphed, but doing so has cost us many dear friends. So far we have been unable to establish a clear justice system or consistent leadership. In times of crisis, one or more of us steps forth and leads the defense of our town, but it times of peace most citizens wish to follow thier own paths and are beholden to no one.

If joining with Roderick can strengthen both lands, and unify the only bastions of good that may exist on this continent, we must give it serious consideration. This might be a chance to truly thrive and handle the next world-altering threat with far less damage.

Lady Kathryn, I have another question. Haven has not clearly defined it's borders, although they are commonly understood to extend only a short distance. Has Woodhold, and if so, could you describe exactly the lands Rodrick rules over with landmarks we might be familiar with?
Corbyn Gravesbane
Lord High Cavalier
The Hand of Woodhold
Elder of Final Haven
Elder Quetzel

Post by Elder Quetzel »

Elder Quetzel can be seen scribling notes on parchment for the first part of the speech. By the middle of the conversation, he hands the parchment to Eilonwy for inspection. He then sits silently for quite some time, listening to all of the different perspectives.

Finally, after Corbyn speaks, "I know not if my opinion is welcome at such a proceeding as this one, though, since decisions made here will effect myself and the other peasants, please allow me a moment, if I may. Since all have settled here in this Haven, I have witnessed extraordinary displays of bravery, of heroism. When no others would have the courage to face the many trials of this land, this small group has stood strong, has stood proud, and have defeated overwhelming odds time and time again. And then when the dust settles and peace tries to poke her shy head into this land, true bickering begins. With all due respect, the people of Haven need something to direct them, laws to live by. There was an incident told to me by Robert the afternoon of the ball. I will not trouble the lady with the details and the others know it, but a man was killed, and she who killed him and he who would call her actions deplorable both spoke with equal footing, both in this land at this time equally persuasive. Nothing was done. Nothing could be done. The man was accused of crime and the absence of laws forced one to act in perfect legality since nothing is written, nothing mind you has truly been spoken. My point, and I apologize for being so long winded and wasting the time of those higher in station than I is that joining a person who has estblished laws may not be bad, may in fact be necessary for the continued well being of this Haven because there will be a time when everything is calm, when everything seems won, and it will be that time when you kill each other. That and Robert will sleep better at night and stop complaining to me so much. That is all the advise I can give. I will support you as always no matter the decision."

With that he sits back and continues following the conversation.
Alexander Nautice
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

If Elder Corbyn is correct in his assessment of our threat status, I am in the right place. My talents are truly needed here, it appears.
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

*Atrum steps out of one of the backrooms of the Inn just as the proceedings start. He gives a start, a smile and a nod to Kidwynn and then settles in leaning against a wall twisting a short sword around in his hand and listens*

The laws here WILL be re-established, one way or another. A clear justice system was established and for some reason it fell to the wayside when it was inconvenient for a few. This won't happen again, once the laws are established they WILL be enforced.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
Eilonwy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eilonwy »

*Eilonwy keeps an ear open to the conversation while reading the Elder's note. There is a smile and a nod to him when finished, and the thoughtful gaze turns back to the speakers. Every now and then, when looking upon Lady Kathryn, a sparkle can be seen that is reminiscent of a youth seeing a legend come to life.*
E. E. Nightshade of Clan Campbell
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

*Looks over at Atrum and still looking in shock.*

How?? When?? Where?? What in the bloody....just how?
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

*Atrum smiles to Kidwynn*
Either I have a friend or two left in this place or I make a good shield.
*laughs heartily*
I'm hoping the former...obviously. Oh and I don't suggest dying any time soon, especially trying to save Arthos from another major blunder...that reminds me I haven't seen wolfie around.
*Turns to Corbyn*
Where has your furry friend gotten to?
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
Corbyn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Corbyn »

*Looks stricken for a moment at the mention of Arthos then speaks quietly to Atrum*

Arthos was lost to us later on in the same day that you fell in battle.

*To the room*
I am in agreement with Quetzel and Atrum. One way or another we need a legal system that can be enforced. I suggest that since we have failed repeatedly to establish a meaningful one, that perhaps joining with an established system might get us what we need. In addition, since the makeup of Haven's citizens changes from moon to moon, sometimes drastically, joining with Woodhold might give us long sought after stability.
Corbyn Gravesbane
Lord High Cavalier
The Hand of Woodhold
Elder of Final Haven
Alexander Nautice
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

exit Lex

*Lex leaves the Inn in favor of the cold outside*