After the Ball

A cold bed and a warm ale. Blood stains the walls, but it looks like the Bar Keep is standing...for once.

Moderator: Admin

Kels
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kels »

*Kels stands up from were he is siting*

"Now i understand that there is much to be gained from this, but...."

*He stops for a moment taking a drink from his bottle of what looks like some kind of wine*

"What does it mean to join with Woodhold? I only ask becouse my loyaltis lay with my king and that is how it will stay. I however, respect Rodrick. I am also willing to help him in anyway i can, as i have show in the passed few moons."

*Kels sits back down taking another drink*
"Fear is only in your mind."

Captain of the Black Talon Unit
"Leadership is found, not chosen."
Phoenix Guard

Dick VERMEIL is a smooth mother

"If it moves Shoot it!"
Alexander Nautice
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

AT Seeing Corbyn

Post by Alexander Nautice »

*Upon Corbyn's completing his speech, Lex takes a heavy pull from his bottle that Lambic passed him*

*Lex shakes his head in disgust*

(muttered to himself) Some kind of elf....ridiculous..hmpf......

*takes another drink*
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

*Kidwynn takes her drinks and moves next to Braddock keeping an eye on the conversation, listening to what everyone has to say.*
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
Lady
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lady »

Lady Rosamund has a pad of paper in hand and is taking down what people are saying. Noting who is saying what and trying to note down tones of voice as well.

"I ask the same question as sir Kels."
I too shall lie in the dust when I am dead, but now let me win noble renown.
-Homer,
Greek (800 BC - 700 BC)
Kathryn Skress
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kathryn Skress »

*As the flood of questions comes in, Kathryn takes mental note of each one. Finally she raises her hands in front of her, palms out, in a placating fashion*

Please, let me answer what you have asked so far before we continue further.

Firstly, to answer Elder Corbyn's questions, the justice sytem in Woodhold is amazingly simplistic but very effective. The kingdom follows the old Silverthornian system of houses, and as a side note, he uses a similar guild structure as well. The four houses are DeVris, the house of judges, Jakoric, the house of the people, Toevass, the house of knowledge, and Mandalor, the house of trade.

DeVris and Jakoric work together to be assured that each trial is held fairly. Jakoric is responsible for gathering all evidence in a trial, whether it is for or against the accused, and presenting it to the Magistrate of DeVris at trial. The Magistrate then makes a decision based on evidence and testimony. There is another branch of DeVris called the Cavaliers. These people patrol the wilderness outside of the towns and when needed, perform trials there as well, though it is preferred that the Cavaliers bring wrong-doers into town for trial if at all possible.

The laws of the realm that shall apply to you are simple.

*She ticks them off one by one*

There shall be no killing.
There shall be no stealing.
No one shall speak out, or encourage others to speak out against their betters.
No one shall destroy another's property.
No one shall attempt to impersonate another or misrepresent his or her own identity.
You may travel freely.
You may join organizations.
You may own land as granted by nobility.
All have a right to trial.
All potions that can injure, charm or incapacitate another by the evil of toxin are illegal.

I will have to obtain an exact figure of possible taxes for the upkeep of fortifications, but I believe King Roderick also said at the party that he would try to avoid even those if at all possible.

Be assured that King Roderick sees all races as equals.

*She turns her attention to Kel's question.*

It is understandable that many of you retain old ties and loyalties. Even in the days of old, there were often visitors to various kingdoms who did not swear loyalty, yet were honored guests. These guests respected the kingdoms they visited by following the laws of that kingdom. In the days of Silverthorn, there were many elves and dwarves who made Silverthorn their residence, no matter their loyalty to their own kingdom, and while in residence they worked for the good of the kingdom as a whole. Of course, working actively against the kingdom would revoke the welcome.
Lady
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lady »

Stops writing looks up*

Speaking up once more Lady Rosamund says “I can see how the some potions would harmful to people and thus are bad. But I need ask, will the knowing of how to make this potions be illegal as well. Who is to tell which potions are evil or can injure? A potion for amnesia can coast a man all his memories. But someone with pain may wish to forget. Who is to judge what is right and what is wrong?”
I too shall lie in the dust when I am dead, but now let me win noble renown.
-Homer,
Greek (800 BC - 700 BC)
Tony Ku
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Tony Ku »

A scuffling of footsteps can be heard from the stairs as Tony comes down, yawning.

"You mentioned speaking against betters. What kind of betters do you refer to? It is the courageous advisor that admonishes an Emperor at the cost of his life to better the kingdom, but too much of this leads to a dearth of wisdom." Tony says.
Kathryn Skress
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kathryn Skress »

*Kathryn gives a nod to Lady Rosamund*

My lady, I believe your question is answered by the very law itself, though I am no Magistrate... It does say "injure, charm, or incapacitate" so I believe the intent of the potion is probably the key factor.

The knowledge of such potions is not illegal. A function of House Jakoric is to bring evidence, including witnesses, to trial. Sometimes a toxin that puts one to sleep may be necessary, for example, to do such a thing. Only House Jakoric members may use that toxin in that case, but it is an example where the intent weighs greater then the harm.

*Kathryn takes a glance a the rumpled sleepy man as he asks his question*

Again, we must take into account the intent. Were a subject of a King always to say slanderous things about the King, and provide no "advisement" then that would be speaking out against the King. However when someone approaches the King to tell him his idea could use improvement, and here is how... then that is advisement and not speaking out against him.
Tony Ku
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Tony Ku »

"If this is a basis of intention, then the law shall read as the king decrees it, and speaking out against will be whatever he deems it, intention of advisement or no. I think that perhaps the king we speak of is a good man who would not visit such harm upon those who only wish to aid the kingdom, but time and temperamental heirs can make fools of us all." Tony says and tries to straighten himself out and appear less peasantish, despite a lack of refinery.

"Perhaps what I'm trying to say is that if a King rules well, such a rule has no place, for the words of a rebel will only spark the hearts of those who have reason to take grievance."
Kathryn Skress
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kathryn Skress »

I'm sure that one could make such statements about any law such as 'there shall be no killing.' No killing of what? Well, no killing of citizens and guests of the kingdom of course, but were one to take it solely on the basis of words alone and not intent, one could say that no one is allowed to kill the monsters that plague the area...
Tony Ku
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Tony Ku »

"And a mad king could consider it not killing if he does not consider a race people. True, a lack of sense can turn any law into a sham of order or decency. However, I see no order or decency coming from that particular decree with or without misinterpretation. Speech in public allows one to know the transgressions and grievances and state of the land: to silence that is to force it to become a conspiracy, which is far more dangerous." Tony says.
Kathryn Skress
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kathryn Skress »

*Kathryn considers the man in confusion*

How can you say that this law is meant to discourage speech for the betterment of the kingdom? You have taken my words, "slanderous things," and twisted it to mean suppression of the people. I assure you, King Rodericks people speak freely about their ideas to improve their lives and kingdom. A citizen of the kingdom always has the option to air their grievances to their direct ruler, be it a Thane or higher, so long as it is done constructively.
Last edited by Kathryn Skress on Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corbyn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Corbyn »

*Ignores the drunken ramblings of inconsequential strangers.*

Lady Kathryn, thank you for answering in such detail. I was hoping you could provide some different examples of what it means in Woodhold for one person to be 'better' than another. You have discussed how that applies to the King and his subjects, but can you give other examples? Are House and Guild heads considered 'better' than those who support them? I would just like to be clear on the definition.

Also, I don't believe you answered my question about the currency issue.
Corbyn Gravesbane
Lord High Cavalier
The Hand of Woodhold
Elder of Final Haven
Kels
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kels »

*Kels's eyes widen at Corbyn asking who is better*

"I don't think who is better realy matters at this point if you see all races as equal then why is it that some people are better than others. There are some of us that give all of ourselves to defend this land. Others who do the talking so we don't have to defend so much, but what makes them better. Becouse they don't kill lots of things that would come and destroy us? The way i see it nobility is nothing more then the right to sit, talk, and send good people to there deaths. For what your land...*He takes a long pull from his bottle* I fight for the people.....sorry Lady Kathryn old thoughts coming out. I mean no offence to you or you King."
"Fear is only in your mind."

Captain of the Black Talon Unit
"Leadership is found, not chosen."
Phoenix Guard

Dick VERMEIL is a smooth mother

"If it moves Shoot it!"
Tony Ku
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Tony Ku »

"I'm sorry if you took offense to what I said, but you take it as an attack upon your king or your words. It is constructive criticism of your law, which you just admitted was fine for me to do. Unless this is considered speaking out against my betters. Still, I would agree to this law system in whole rather than allow lawlessness." Tony Ku says, looking a little confused.