After the Ball

A cold bed and a warm ale. Blood stains the walls, but it looks like the Bar Keep is standing...for once.

Moderator: Admin

Kels
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kels »

*Kels takes a seat at one of the tables waiting for the meeting to start. Still drinking from a bottle*
"Fear is only in your mind."

Captain of the Black Talon Unit
"Leadership is found, not chosen."
Phoenix Guard

Dick VERMEIL is a smooth mother

"If it moves Shoot it!"
Ian_McAllister
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ian_McAllister »

*looking over to Woden*

"A messenger from Woodhold has arrived with news, have a seat a listen if you wish."
Your Knowledge cannot save you,
Your Magic cannot save you,
Nothing can save you!
Kathryn Skress
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kathryn Skress »

*Kathryn gives a polite nod to all she is introduced, or re-introduced to, as the case may be. Once it seems the majority have arrived, she makes a simple statement*

More then just a messenger, my good man. I have been appointed the Royal Ambassador of Woodhold to Haven. As many of you know, I lived among you for many months when this place was first found, and later went to Woodhold to interceed with King Rodrick on Haven's behalf.

Now that the deception of the leader of the King's army has been found and the traitor taken care of, the King wishes to open his arms to Haven and invite you to join his kingdom. He wishes to stress that by no means will any forceful action be taken on his behalf to bring Haven into a kingdom it does not desire, but he believes that we can bring each other many benefits.

*Kathryn stops to take a sip of the water from the goblet she holds while watching the Havenites for their reactions*
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Shale steps forward to address the lady smoothing his robes and bowing politely. "Lady Kathryn, let me be the first to address the King's offer officially."

He looks around at the faces gathered for a moment. Then says, "I’m afraid while we enjoyed the King and royal court’s company, his offer is generous, and we thank him… the House of the Rising Sun is not in favor of annexation. We would prefer instead to establish a mutually beneficial alliance and friendship between our two independent lands.”
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Kathryn Skress
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kathryn Skress »

*Kathryn nods*

I will be sure to convey your preferences to the King. I hope that you are aware that the King offers much to Haven in the way of defenses and fortifications, should you choose to take him up on his offer.
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

*As People begin to talk Lambic is back behind the bar. As he starts to come around again, Woden speaks. Lambic reaches back and grabs another bottle from his stash. As he begins speaking he hands the short bottle of ale to Woden and the larger bottle of wine to Lex."

While Shale does definitely speak the views of much of the Haven, please do not take offense at his manner. We do not mean to be rude, Lady Kathryn. Please feel free to begin any sort of speech or other offer you came here to do or if you prefer I would be willing to begin with some of the reasons people have stated to me as to why they do not wish to swear feality.

I see people have become too impatient to wait for any of the rest the town to arrive or for someone to offer to takes the required notes. I apologize I seem to be running off at the mouth, Lady Kathryn the floor is yours.

*With this Lambic takes a seat one of the tables still streching the length of the main room of the Inn.*
Lady
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lady »

Lady Rosamund is at the bar looking over ever one gathered taking in their expressions and hearing every thing said.
I too shall lie in the dust when I am dead, but now let me win noble renown.
-Homer,
Greek (800 BC - 700 BC)
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Shale raises an eyebrow at Lambic and steps next to him saying, "Pardon... Who was being rude? It was my impression the lady was looking for a response."
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Kathryn Skress
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kathryn Skress »

*Kathryn smiles at Lambic*

Thank you, but apologies are not needed. I am not here to make grandiose speeches, but to hear what Haven has to say and to tell you the benefits that joining with King Rodrick will bring you.
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

The Lady Kathryn is the Royal Ambassador of Woodhold to Haven, Shale, and if she is here to tell us the benefits of joining ourselves to Woodhold. We should let her speak fully. Although she is being modest, what lady would travel the days from her home without planing to make a case to us. I would call it rude to give her answer without giving her chance to ask. I for one would like to hear her speak. I would like to hear about these benefits that King Roderick can offer us and we him.

Please lady, put modesty aside, speak to us.
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

"You do not need to explain her title and endeavor here to me, Lambic. I am not about to attempt to stop her from speaking to whomever she wishes, but to me it seems she has asked our opinion twice and I am the only one to answer. I was lucky enough to sit with she and the King in person at the ball to hear the lions share of the details, but if you have not heard what Woodhold is offering then by all means Lady Kathryn please could you enlighten the distinguished Phoenix Guardsman and any others still ill informed."
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Corbyn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Corbyn »

*Looks bemusedly at Shale then over to the bar*

Lady Rosamund, please be so kind as to take notes.

None of us has heard the entire offer from Woodhold, which certainly may have altered slightly after the King's interaction with us at the ball. Please speak Madam Ambassador. Your words will be given all due consideration, at least from those of us who have not already reached a decision regarding Woodhold.
Corbyn Gravesbane
Lord High Cavalier
The Hand of Woodhold
Elder of Final Haven
Kathryn Skress
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kathryn Skress »

*Kathryn rises, a bit of surprise on her face*

Frankly, it comes as a surprise that the offers of King Roderick haven't already been shared with the entire populace of Haven. However, if it is a speech you wish, then a speech you shall have.

*She paces back and forth thoughtfully for a few moments, her hand resting by habit on the pommel of her longsword at her hip. Finally she stops and faces the people, standing casually. She speaks levelly, but loud enough that everyone can hear.*

People of Haven, you may or may not know me from when I dwelt within this fine settlement. I am Kathryn Skress, formally first a Magistrate and then a Cavalier of House DeVris of the Kingdom of Silverthorn. When the time of troubles came, I accepted the crown of the Kingdom of Dorchak. I do not speak lightly; I know the importance of watching over and caring for the peoples of a land. There are those here whom I care for very much. I have your interests in my heart. I am not one for long speeches and only give one now at your request. I am but a simple warrior in truth, one fortunate enough to have given to my people in their time of need.

Haven and Woodhold have been at odds for years. It has recently been discovered that the root of all strife was the King's chief messenger Hildebrant, the betrayer of his trust. I assure you that King Roderick has been as deeply decieved by this man. I have been in Woodhold since I left Haven, interceeding upon your behalf with the King.

Now that justice has been carried out, King Roderick himself came to Haven earlier this moon to walk amongst you as a sign of trust and hopes that you will give your trust equally.

King Roderick knows this land is harsh and overrun with creatures who are only intent on mindless destruction, caves filled with horrid monsters who snatch peasants in the night, and devistating horrors that attack you at all hours to attempt to slay you for their own gristly feast.

He offers you all of the protection that he is able to give. He offers you fortifications to help you defend yourselves and the other inhabitants of this land. All he asks in return is your trust and your agreement to become part of his Kingdom.

By King Rodericks own words, he will not force this agreement in any way, but sincerely hopes that you will see the benefit that this will give both Haven and Woodhold.

As King Roderick's Royal Ambassador to Haven, I am prepared to answer any questions that you have and to sooth any concerns.

*Kathryn takes a sip of the water from the goblet she has been holding, ending her small speech*
Corbyn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Corbyn »

Thank you Lady Kathryn, I have a few specific questions.

If Haven was to join Woodhold, what laws would we be subject to and how would the justice system operate? Roderick spoke of this at the ball, but I would have everyone in attendance hear these details.

Also, as part of Woodhold, would Haven have a currency system? If so, how much control would we have in regard to assigning resource value to the coin of the realm?

Roderick said that we would not pay any taxes, except for upkeeping military forces that would be part of the fortifications. Could you give us an idea of how substantial this cost would be, and exactly how much protection it would yield?

Lastly, how are races other than human treated in the lands of Woodhold?Are all equal, or is there some sort of caste system in place?

Thank you for your willingness to address these concerns. Your answers will weigh heavily in the minds of many of Haven's citizens.
Corbyn Gravesbane
Lord High Cavalier
The Hand of Woodhold
Elder of Final Haven
Woden
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Woden »

*Woden seems more concerned with the relative size of his bottle as compaired to the one given to Lex, looking back and forth at the bottles many times before speaking*

"Are you really so surprised Kathryn Skress? That there are those in town that wish to be led, and those content to lead, but they are not always one and the same? The easiest way to keep both them both happy is by making sure they are not on equal footing.

Many who wish to lead like to keep information to themselves, and many who wish to follow prefer to remain ignorant of that fact."

*looking pained at talking too long*

"Hrmph.. Others like Lambic Listen and inform. Others just 'Do' what needs doing"

*walking towords the door lifting the bottle*

"Tell Roderic I'll bring some of Lambics finest when next I visit. Right now there are things that need doing. Good day Kathryn Skress."

*a slight nod as he exits*