After the Ball

A cold bed and a warm ale. Blood stains the walls, but it looks like the Bar Keep is standing...for once.

Moderator: Admin

Kathryn Skress
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kathryn Skress »

*Kathryn sets her cup down on the table and folds her hands in her lap, her eyes studying his face in contemplation before answering*

Do you remember when magic was seperated into the elements?
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

*The general nods to Elder Corbyn and leaves the Inn looking for Robert and Elder Quetzal*
Alexander Nautice
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Alexander Nautice »

*Face hardens at the conclusion of Kathyrn's words*

A tale of Magic, eh? The Great Lie. I do, indeed.
Kathryn Skress
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kathryn Skress »

*Kathryn nods briefly*

Yes, magic. I also remember when magic was seperated.

*She pauses briefly at that, almost waiting for the inevitable question of how but then continues*

Lex was a practioner of the most vile form of that magic. A very talented, twisted practioner.
Alexander Nautice
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

*Lex tops off his goblet, shaking a little*

Are you sure you wouldn't like something a little firmer than that water?

*He begins to drink again, this time with a bit more fervor. He motions again to the Barkeep*

Lambic! I'm going to need another bottle.

*Smiles a sly smirk*

I'm good for it
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

*The general walks back into the Inn after informing Robert and Quetzel of the meeting. Walking over to the table*

Yes magic a very interesting topic. An old friend of mine said there is no difference in the types of magic their is. Before I awoke, there was talk that there where many types of magic, fire, water, earth, air, essecence, and necormancy. Now I hear magic is one. Who knows. I know magic can kill in the most horible ways, burning, dorwning, rotting, the list goes on. So how can one type magic be worse than the others? Is not magic a tool, and the wielder who determines it's use? There for magic is not evil or good, but it is the weilder who is good or evil?

*The general sits and waits*
Kathryn Skress
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kathryn Skress »

*Kathryn glances from Lex's shaking hands to the goblet but refrains from picking it up*

Thank you, but no. I make it a habit to drink rarely. It's an old habit, and not one I wish to break.

*To the General*

No offense, General, but you must be young to not know about the hated and feared form of magic known as Necromancy. It was the most vile and corrupted form of magic of my time.

*She glances back to Lex and around to his belongings*

Are you new to the area? I have been out of town for quite a long time.
Alexander Nautice
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

*Lex gives a sidelong glance at the Dwarf*

General, If you don't mind, though your philosphical statement on the nature of magic is enjoyable, I hardly think it is accurate. Magic is by nature an evil thing. Just as a wild animal, Magic can be tamed and made to sit in a cage and perform tricks for food. One day, that animal will tire of captivity. When that day comes, pity those who are the handler and those close to him. Myself, I learned my lesson with magic young. I was burned by it and now know to stay clear. I do not fear it, as a woodsman does not fear the fire. I do, however, know to keep it away from my stock. That is as much as I care to express regarding my past in a public place. As with most of my kind, I am a private man, with private thoughts. My friend and I would like to continue our talk, though, General, if you don't mind terribly I ask you bid us leave.

*back to Kathryn*

this man, this Necromancer, did you know him personally? Or did you know him only by his dark reputation? I'm sure the legend outweighs the man...after all these Necromancer do seem to be more bark than bite. I mean, not to sound haughty, but I'm sure he's not as talented in the black art as you think he is...er...was. The only qualm I have with those of the Necromatic persuasion is their penchant for propagating this undead plaugue we have marring our landscape. People are of the misconception that only the towns are subject to this terror. Trust, as a man of the wood, my kind are claimed by the skeleton and zombie as well. I am new to this town, but not to this place. I am old, and with my age comes many tales. True, I am a whelp for my breed, but few of us venture out of our havens. Too much risk in these trying times. I think we risk more by inaction.

*Smokes and awaits Kathryn's reply*
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

*Ingoring Lex and turning to Kathryn*

Young, I am not. In Lands of Silver Thorn the knowledge and use of necormancy was punishable by death. The use of any magic in the Dwarven Homeland was dishonor and banishment from the Homeland, if not death. magic was not tolerated in the Homeland, Silverthorn allowed some magic and others where banished.
My point is magic can be used for good or ill. It does not matter which so called type is used. I will give you more evil people used the so called Necromancy magic's becasue of it's quick power. I personal hate anyone that would disrespect a honorable fallen warrior by turning them into a zombie or using there body for some gain. It is just wrong and I will not stand for it.
So I would agree the of all the old magic's, necromancy was used for the most vile and evil acts. But I still stand that magic is just a tool and it is the weilder who determines if it is used for good or evil.
Kathryn Skress
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kathryn Skress »

*Kathryn studies Lex's face carefully before she answers his query*

I met him... once. That was once more then I ever needed in my life. I must say that I do not entirely agree with your assessment of magic being inherently evil though it can certainly be used for evil.

*She smiles at this and strokes the hilt of the longsword at her hip*

Magic is a tool, much like this sword. It is what you do with it that is evil. Were I to slay you on the spot, the deed would be broadcast as evil. However, were I to slay a monster attacking a helpless child, it would be seen as good. It is the act itself, and the person who does the act, that is good or evil, not the tool performing the act.

*She looks at the General as he speaks*

So you see, we agree on some things. Necromancy, however, is a corrupted twisted thing that leeches your inner essence until you know nothing but evil. It feeds upon life essence itself. How can that be a tool? It is a mindless thing.

*She looks between the General and Lex*

I wish no animosity this day, for I come to discuss important things with the leaders of Haven as a whole and wish no shadow to linger over those talks.
Alexander Nautice
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

*Swallows his wine deliberately*

Talking of slaying others, be it by way of example or threat, is considerably unwise. Especially if you don't actually know the person across the table from you. I am not offended by your statement, I just wish to aid you in a long and healthy life. Humans live so short to begin with. As for concern over bad blood between myself and the General...that insult is ancient. Our fault is our breeding. Although one among the closest friends I ever had was a dwarf. He was mercenary though and ruthless. Not so wrapped up in the honor squabbles of the dwarves of today. They had real passion back then, real fire. I think they may have lost that with the Joining, as I had lost...well....many things...

*Peers longinly into his goblet*
Kathryn Skress
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kathryn Skress »

*Gives Lex a very level look*

It is good you are not offended, as none was intended. Examples are examples, nothing more.

*She runs a finger around the rim of her own goblet idly*

As for the longevity of humans, I suppose it's relative. There are those who break bounds of humanity.
Alexander Nautice
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Indeed. Have you spent much time in the former Kingdom of Silverthorne?
Kathryn Skress
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kathryn Skress »

*Kathryn glances around the room, checking to see if Haven's leaders have assembled yet.*
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

*The general turns to the elf and gives him a smoldering stare*

You are one pompus anyoning elf. May I point out you are talking in a public place where conversations are heard and to be comented on. If you wanted a private converation, than go some where private.
As for your dwarven friend, I bet he was beardless. A dishonored one. Something worse than an elf. What was the dwarfs name?

*As the general waits for Lex's response, he looks at Kathryn*

Worry not, I will not spill any blood and put a dark cloud on your conversation with the leaders of Haven. Speaking of the leaders, what is taking them so long? I'll go and drag them in here.

*The general leaves the Inn and can be heard bellowing questions and orders*