The Dwarven Racial Boon

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

The best option IMO is to leave helmets alone, if you give +2 for heavy helmet you will without a doubt get a person with a 4pt helmet.

Making the light helmet 0 screws over the person in light as you drop their max by 25% to 3 meaning a quality heavy helmet would give you more protection than a full suit head to toe of light.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

a 4pt helmet? OH if knight stayed at the +2? Yeah, dumb.

Also, remember there is no quality helmets... Helmets add nothing but +1 armor and resist to stunstrike, no matter what they are made out of.

Hmm, with that thought, we could just eliminate the concept of light, medium and heavy helms. However, I'd have to argue against the use of a peice of leather counting as a helmet. My baseball hat isn't going to help me when a bat is swung at my head. But a chain hood and full helm will stop a sword from cutting and the helm will reduce the force slightly.
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

Revision C;
I'm in a hurry (again), but I think I got it. (again)

Dwarves will recieve the Poison Resistance.

Armor Recap, Light = 1 per location (3), Medium = 2 per location (6), Heavy = 3 per location (9)

Bonus's are added after and carry no stand alone value. Ergo, a Warrior/Knight standing naked in a feild with nothing but a Great Helm on will have 0- Armor Points (although he would be safe from 'Stun Strike')
Bonus's will include;
Quality = +1 per location (+3 possible)
Knight = +1 per catagory (+3 possible)
Helms= Light +0, Medium +1, Heavy +2 (all protect from Stun)
Warrior Basic = +1 per Cat. (totals possible +1,+2,+3)
Warrior Adv. = +2 per Cat. (totals possible +2,+4,+6)
Warrior Mast. = +3 per Cat. (totals possible +3,+6,+9)

Bringing the Totals to 10, 18, & 24. Total armor will still be Light in 1to4, Medium in 5to7, Heavy in 8+ .With the following outline though non-warriors could spend 20 points and bump it up getting a total of 9 out of quality Medium Armor, while still making the Light Requirements.

We wont add sheild use to the Warrior, instead they will get the additional armor. However Basic Utilize armor will be listed first in the order;
Basic: Utilize, Determination, Hold Ground
Advanced: Utilize, Endurance, Defensive Matrix
Master: Utilize, Parry, Rage

As stated, Sheild use will not be included. It will most likely be left in the guild skills, but move up significantly in the rankings.

I have a Fear post, to cover the Fear/Root problem (I will put it under its own heading) but that will have to wait till midnight when I get off of Work2.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Works, I have no issues with this.

I could do without the last utilize in favor of a 2 point def. mat. (to put a bit more variety in combat), but it's not a big deal.

Just to be clear, wouldn't maxes be:
(helm + base + quality + warrior + knight)
Light: 0+3+3+3+1 = 10
Medium: 1+6+3+6+2 = 18
Heavy: 2+9+3+9+3 = 26

Still, pretty even if you ask me. Without the last warrior boon maxes would be 9, 16, 23 respectively. I give it a thumbs up all in all. <looks for thumbs up emoticon>
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

I like most of Todd's proposal but for simplicity sake I would just make the head an armour location just like arms, legs, and body. It would be more intuitive.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Then you'd have to re-write the whole thing, and avoiding fractions would be almost impossible. Points are spread pretty thin as is on light armor. I'd consider it not worth the hassle, for such a small gain.
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

I probly did the 24math without the helmet. Whoops.

Actually Wayne, having the Helmet as a 'Bonus' is much better. This prevents the joker who likes cheese from walking out on the feild with a 12 point helmet. You only receive bonus's to armor worn. i.e. one of the three established areas, Body, Legs, Arms.

If you're really against it we could try to come up with something else, but I think this works well. While one could still max out a single peice of armor (Chest plate) he would still miss out on 8 additional armor points for Arms/Legs. Thats a fair insentive. Of course it half that at light, but.. What can you do.

Oh, I was thinking about armor (go figure), and one of the things I hate about some other LARPs is that it seems like the guy with the most money to spend on gear wins. (figuratively speaking) I would hate to say that only 'Real Plate, in a full suit' qualifies as Heavy armour, because only the guy who can afford to buy said armor, would have it. At CARPs this was solved by the Real/Fake equasion. We dont have alot of room to work with to devide everything up so tidely, so.. What if we just said that 'Fake eqivelent' is worth 1 catogory lower? the guy with 'Real' leather armor gets 'Light Armor', while the guy with two strips of vinyl tied to his leg gets extra 'Costume'. etc. ?
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Armor

Post by Nelkie »

It looks good to me.

My only problem is the 3 armor points for light armor. The values make sense and I can understand the helemt rules, but what I do not like is the repair cost.
Right now it cost 3 resources to repair armor. You only get 3 armor points from light and it is not that big of a bonus. 3 armor points go away very quickly. For repair purposes, have light cost 1 hide resource to repair. Medium takes 1 hide and 1 metal, or 2 metal to repair, heavy takes 3 metal to repair. This will help make light armor more useful and cost effective.

Anthor bonus could be it takes less time to repair light armor sense you will need it repaired often. Medium and heavy could have the same time to repair.

Field repairs cut the armor value in half and can always repair up to 1 and always round up. Note, to determine armor values add all bonus together from skills, quality, and base armor. That is the number that is cut in half every time the armor is field repaired, until resources are used.

Light 3,2,1 Quality 6,3,2,1 Warrior Max 10,5,3,2,1
Medium 7,4,2,1 Quality 10,5,3,2,1 Warrior Max 18,9,5,3,2,1
Heavy 10,5,3,2,1 Quality 13, 7, 4, 2,1 Warrior Max 26,13,7,4,2,1

I say don't have a difference between Real armor and fake armor. The armor just needs to look like armor. No cardboard armor please. Keep it simple. If you have the money, you have real armor, if not, you make armor form hockey pads, tape and foam. It can be made to look good with a little effort.

Armors
Light - hide, leather, padded armor, etc
medium - harden leather, studded leather, chain
Heavy - Plate armor
My Thoughts

Aaron
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

I have to agree with Aaron, the person in light is already getting the shaft now with the proposed change the max without any bonuses has been cut by 25% by taking away the 1 pt for a helm. And most importantly, and what I've been saying since the beginning, light armor needs to cost less than medium and heavy to repair at least if not make also. Why would anyone spend 3 resources to repair aramor that gives them 3 pts, not to mention the 3 tags represent 3 full hides, or atleast we were getting 1 hide for beasts that we could get hide from.

Don't really like the change switching the armor bonus and determination, but that's probably because it affects my character greatly. Determination has saved my butt 2x in the 1 event that I had it.

I also think heavy should include any mostly metal armor such as brigandine or lorica.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Yeah, you would lose determination but you get 1-3 armor points. :) And you can still get determination, it just costs 20 more points...

Having the most powerful 1st level warrior ability (determination) first is kinda silly
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Yeah it does make sense that it should be higher than the armor. 20 more points, that's what like 3 years or so, I guees it's always good to have goals. :lol:
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
Curufin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Curufin »

Doesn't halved armor round down? (I seem to remember reading that somewhere)

So....
Light 3,2,1 Quality 6,3,2,1 Warrior Max 10,5,3,2,1
Medium 7,4,2,1 Quality 10,5,3,2,1 Warrior Max 18,9,5,3,2,1
Heavy 10,5,3,2,1 Quality 13, 7, 4, 2,1 Warrior Max 26,13,7,4,2,1

Would actually be...
Light 3,1 Quality 6,3,1 Warriar Max 10,5,2,1
Medium 7,3,1 Quality 10,5,2,1 Warrior Max 18,9,4,2,1
Heavy 10,5,2,1 Quality 13,6,3,1 Warrior Max 26,13,6,3,1
Lost my train of thought.....
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Armor

Post by Nelkie »

I would like to see repaired armor fraction round up. It doesn't unblance anything, but gives light armor a chance be some what usefull.
My Thoughts

Aaron
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

I'm on the fence about Rounding. Wayne?

Two things for Erik. 1) I think that a heavy Brigandine would definately fall into the 'Heavy' Catagory. 2) light limit is still at 4, so you could technically wear a 'med' helmet, and still come in under the limit, or a med chestplate w/ light accessories etc. (really you could wear a Heavy Breastplate, and a Med helmet only, and still come in under the wire [4])

Also I was thinking for armor repair costs....
Light = 1 Hide
Med = 1 Hide, 1 Steel
Heavy = 1 Hide, 2 Steel

What are our repair times set at right now?

Town Member
Town Member

Armor Times

Post by Nelkie »

Below is the chart for armor repair. Not all times are in minutes

Level- Light- Med- Heavy
1- 50- 55- 60
2- 35- 40- 45
3- 20- 23- 30
4- 5- 10- 15

The times look good. Here's my idea. Keep these times for the the time it takes to repair a suit to full when using resources. The time to do field repair which is only up to half of the armor value, round up, takes only half of the time.

Field Reapir times
Level- Light- Med- Heavy
1- 25- 27.5- 30
2- 17.5- 20- 22.5
3- 10 - 11.5- 15
4- 2.5- 5- 7.5

It is simple to remember.
Note: The repair time is based on your total base armor value. So if you have a heavy chest plate 3 and a med helemt 1, it would cost you 1 hide to repair and 5 minutes (4th level craftsman) because your total base armor value is 4 or less. It might not make since with the resources, but it keeps the system clean and easy to use

Also I was thinking for armor repair costs....
Light (1-4 Base Armor Points) = 1 Hide
Med (5-7 Base Armor Points) = 1 Hide, 1 Steel
Heavy (8+ base armor points) = 1 Hide, 2 Steel

The more armor you have, the longer it takes to repair and cost more to get it fixed.
My Thoughts

Aaron