Posting in the Inn

A cold bed and a warm ale. Blood stains the walls, but it looks like the Bar Keep is standing...for once.

Moderator: Admin

cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

“Animals with a disease? That makes me somewhat uncomfortable. Did you determine how this was passed? I have managed to keep these ravens with no small amount of effort on my part. I would hate to lose any of them to disease. It takes time to raise them proper and train them. “ Sen says, look towards his birds with caution. There were four of them. Two males and two females. Mated pairs. There were so many more when he'd set out. There had been fourteen birds, each trained and highly prized. Some had fallen to predators, others had been eaten during the bad times. Sen felt some regret over the loss of the birds, but they could be built up again.

“Some places train pigeons as messager birds, I find that ravens do so much better. Smarter, and more cunning, they can be trained to do more than server as homing birds. They can be set off for specific people with enough training. The Large one, Quoth, has been known to range over a hundred wheels in falcon nesting grounds. He is the oldest of the animals, and wily. While I respect the animals intelligence, I'm not sure that comparing them to the sentient Avyana is fair. That would be like comparing monkeys to men don't you think? I have always respected the Avyana, since they too are nomadic, and often we share the same path and the same hearth. Nevertheless Doctor, perhaps understand the structure of the Birds, may lead to understanding the Avyana in a physical sense. I'm sure you could get birds, there seem to be a plethora of animals in the area.”
Travis Cole
Doctor Erasmus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Doctor Erasmus »

No, I do not think your birds are in any danger from the disease. Whatever had caused it appeared to have ceased and the disease was simply running its course in the affected animals. It looks to have originated from somewhere in this area but I found many of the animals when i started my journey. However, if any of your birds start to display lethargy or develop any lesions they should be tended to immediately.

Often times beasts that appear unrelated share many different qualities. It is easy to appraise the outward similarities, the internal ones are often subtle but significant. For example, some birds injest gravel to aid in digestion. I am now curious if any types of Avianna are also able to do so.

As for humans, your comparison to monkeys may not be entirely fanciful. Men do in fact have remnants of a tail that they have long since outgrown the use for. Hmm, I have plenty of men here to study... but not nearly enough monkeys.
"A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic."

-Joseph Stalin
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

“Humans with tails. Now that would be sight. You know Doctor, I often have the hunters of haven on the look out for specific game. It may be a wise course of action for you to do the same. That way you don't have to collect your specimens personally.” Sen says with a smile. “Unless of course that's what you prefer. Often a man has to do his own business.”

Sen looks up at the ceiling as thunder shakes the building. Wet hail can be heard pounding on the wooden slats that form the roof. The air is damp, but in the kitchen with the wood stove it is dry and warm. The birds caw and Sen reaches into the cage of Shar one of the female Ravens. He pulls out a small and delicate egg. Carefully Sen opens a chest across the room. It is a box with thick lining and a box to place winter ice. It keeps things moderately cold. It is a benefit of winter. He places the egg in a rack where 4 or 5 eggs also sit. They are much smaller than chicken eggs, but they are hard to come by.
Travis Cole
Sunny
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sunny »

Vaun, who had been sitting and quietly listening, gazed out the window by which so many of the remarkable ravens were perched. She stood, a look of soft curiousity on her usually impassive face. Little was her attention on the conversation of the Doctor and Sen, for she felt something of an outsider to their conversing. Rather, she rose silently and went over to the great winged birds.

Softly and to no one in particular she said, "I always wanted wings. It was one of the reasons I became a storm dancer. I spent twenty years researching a spell to give me black raven's wings, once. I wanted so much to be free, like the little brothers, to become one with the storms of the world, inbrideled." Her gaze was far off, and clearly she was remembering something from long ago.

"It was twenty years well spent, for like the little brothers I could sprout wings from my back and glide on the winds." She sighed, returning to the present. "But, that age is gone now, and so is my are my wings." She reached out to touch one of the ravens, but drew her hand back at the last moment. These were Sen'Za Rein's companions, and she had no right to touch them. She did nto wish to tresspass upon his honor like that, and so contented herself with a little bow to the black winged birds.

Now drawn deep in thought, she gave Sen a bow as well. She had had as much social interaction as she could handle for a day, and more than she had had in weeks. Weary to never overstay her welcome, Vaun opened the kitchen door to the chill of outdoors and with a silent sweep of her skirts was gone like the mist in morning sun.
Doctor Erasmus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Doctor Erasmus »

Yes, a man must often tend his own business. Very true Sen, very true.

*Upon hearing the noise outside the Doctor merely shrugs and wanders back into the main room of the Lodge to tend his wounds.*
"A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic."

-Joseph Stalin
JOAT25
Town Member
Town Member

Post by JOAT25 »

*The door opens suddenly, as Olan bursts in from the cold. He shuts the door quickly and turns around. He has three rabits hanging from snares in one hand, and a small bag in the other.*

Oh, I'm sorry Sen, I wasn't aware that you were entertaining visitors. I'm sorry to interrupt, but I got the herbs you asked for, and I have a few rabbits from my traps that I can spare for your stew pot.

*Olan puts the bag down on the counter, and hangs the snares from a hook on the wall.*

Also, I have a few submitions for your recipe book.

*Olan produces a slip of paper from his pocket and hands it to Sen.*

Dark Elves
A people confined to the darkest recesses of the underground, dark elven foods consist primarily of root vegetables, mushrooms, and aquatic fare that can be cultivated in pools of standing water (various shellfish and a few varieties of fish). Also, due to the prevelance of large amounts of standing water, rice has become a staple in the dark elven diet.

Ph'quanth Kuttra (Stuffed Mushrooms in the human tongue)

Ingredients:
1 pound whole Mushrooms, stems finely chopped and set aside
½ cup Bread Crumbs
½ cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded
½ cup Butter
2 cloves Garlic, crushed
3 green Onions, chopped

Brown stems, garlic and green onions in 1 teaspoon butter until golden brown. Mix with remaining ingredients. Wash mushroom buttons and pat dry. Fill buttons with filling. Coat baking sheet in olive oil. Place mushrooms in pan and coat tops lightly with olive oil. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

Flamgra Murrpau’leith (Blackened Catfish)

1 tsp Paprika
½ tsp each: crumbled dried sage, ground cumin, garlic powder, salt, and granulated sugar
¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
¼ tsp Onion Powder
4 4-6 ounce Catfish Fillets
Butter
Olive Oil

Combine paprika, sage, cumin, garlic powder, salt, sugar, cayenne pepper, and onion powder in a flat dish large enough to accommodate the fillets. Rub fillets with butter, and then turn in the seasonings so they are evenly coated.

Put a large skillet over medium heat, add oil, and wait till hot. Put fillets in oil skinned side up and cook 4-5 minutes until lightly blackened. Turn carefully and cook another 4-5 minutes or until the fish feels firm and is opaque at the thickest part.

Vress'lve’leith Awni (Crawfish Soup or Gumbo)

1 cup Shortening
1 cup Flour
1 Onion, minced
¼ cup Parsley, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup Celery leaves, minced
1 pound Crawfish tails, cleaned
8 cups Water
½ cup Crawfish fat

Make a roux by cooking shortening and flour together to make a golden brown color while stirring constantly. Add onions and cook until soft. Add crawfish fat. Stir constantly while cooking over low heat until shortening floats on top. Add water and seasonings. Simmer over a low heat for 30 min. About 1/2 hr. before serving, add garlic and crawfish tails and let simmer for 25 min. longer. Add parsley and celery leaves and simmer 5 min. longer. Just before serving, add about 3/4 tsp powdered sassafras leaves. Serve in soup plates with hot steamed rice.

Nothing too special, just a few personal favorites. A sight more flavorful than the bland fair the humans here enjoy, that's for certain.
Ingram Folles - Scholar
"Integrity comes when character is tested; keep true and never be ashamed of doing what is right."
"You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself made the villain."
"I can't leave you alone for five minutes."