From out of darkness...

Townsmen with the shakes huddle around the glowing embers of what may have been a roaring fire. Speak quick, lest thee be to long in the open!

Moderator: Admin

Fender_Brawnanvil
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Fender_Brawnanvil »

*looks to shale and nods*
JOAT25
Town Member
Town Member

Post by JOAT25 »

It seems that only the best of us stay dead, good mage, while those of dark will and ill intent are allowed to linger on and plague the rest of us.

*Olan speaks as he rounds the corner of the lodge. His feet drag as he approaches the fire, as if he is exhausted from a long journey. Hardly taking a moment to adjust his swords, he drops into a seat across the fire from the old man*

Shale, Fender, good to see you both still among the living.

*He nods to the two as he names them, then turns to look at the old wizard across the fire*

I don't believe we've been introduced, sir. You may call me Olan, as the rest of Haven does. I believe you said your name was Amagus?
Ingram Folles - Scholar
"Integrity comes when character is tested; keep true and never be ashamed of doing what is right."
"You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself made the villain."
"I can't leave you alone for five minutes."
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Shale nods back to Fender and turns to address Amagus again, but is cut off by Olan’s approach. He sighs again and sheathes his sword as he speaks, “He said his name is Amagus Avantine, and he’s joining the guild of Thunder it seems.” He nods to Olan in a gesture of pleasant greeting that almost seems alien between the two men for anyone who has seen the two together in past dealings.

Shale offer’s Amagus his hand with a smile of new trust. “Assuming, you still wish to petition us for membership that is. When we are done here; I shall take you to meet our guild head Ug, and acquire you a copy of our guild’s spell book if you so desire.”
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Amagus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Amagus »

Amagus accepts Shales hand in spidery fingers. “That is my desire, Lord. I will begin at once to ‘catch up’ on the learnings of your acolytes, then begin my studies in earnest. In time, together shall we bring this land to heel.”

Shuffles around to Olan while stifling a cough. “Yes, Amagus I am, and I, too, shall refer to you as ‘Olan’ if you wish. Well met. And how is it you serve the High Magus, heh heh, or can you not say?”
Death is the threshold to immense possibility
JOAT25
Town Member
Town Member

Post by JOAT25 »

Mostly I serve Shale in facilitating the re-attachment of his severed head. Beyond that, I just do my part to keep this place standing.
Ingram Folles - Scholar
"Integrity comes when character is tested; keep true and never be ashamed of doing what is right."
Amagus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Amagus »

“Severed head? Really? A violent place, indeed.” Amagus replies with a smile.

“My apologies, High Magus, for the aside. Let us be away. I look forward to meeting Guildmaster Ug.”
Death is the threshold to immense possibility
Fender_Brawnanvil
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Fender_Brawnanvil »

*looks to Olan*

glad to see there are still some people i came here with still alive
Brago
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Brago »

"Foolish", Brago huffs to himself under his breath after witnessing the conversation between Shale and Amagus. He had been sitting quietly, unnoticed and almost invisible as his black armor blended into the darkness just beyond the reach of the fire's light. Being a stranger to Haven himself, he realized that it was not his place to voice his opinion in matters such as these; besides, he was careful not to do anything to offend the people of Haven that had shown him such hospitality in his short time in town. As he rose to leave, the glint of firelight on the handle of his longsword was the first announcement of his presence.
JOAT25
Town Member
Town Member

Post by JOAT25 »

What, dare I ask, is foolish, my friend?
Ingram Folles - Scholar
Brago
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Brago »

Hearing Olan speak, Brago turns and takes a few steps toward the fire.

“Trusting someone…anyone so quickly. It seems no one knows this ‘Amagus’ yet they are quick to trust him and bring him into their counsel.”

Brago takes a seat near the fire.

“Trust is a thing to be earned, not to be given based on a the words of a stranger. I too am a stranger here and I would not expect to be trusted until I have proven my worthiness in battle. These are times of false words and deceitful deeds and we must be on our guard. Amagus may well be the eager traveler he presents himself as and, for the sake of this town, I hope he is. I mean no offense to Amagus, I just mean for people to be careful.”
Brago
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Brago »

"Excuse me for speaking before having introduced myself. I am Brago."

*Rises and extends his had toward Olan*
JOAT25
Town Member
Town Member

Post by JOAT25 »

*Olan looks at Brago's hand almost quizzickly, then accepts it*

Not so much trust, my friend, as guarded optimizim. It is merely that we hope that Amagus truly is what he presents himself to be. Asside from this, we can only do for Amagus what each of us does for everyone else: we can accept him at face value and take him at his word unless he proves that to be unwise.

The same goes for you; I'll just have to hope that if I were to, say, get up and turn my back to you as I went into the Inn, you wouldn't unsheath your weapon and try to deliver me into an early grave. I can't be sure of this, but constant paranoia is tiring.

I will admit that your words hold wisdom, and I condone keeping a sharp eye to your surroundings, but remember that if you only see enemies, you'll never see allies.

*With a loud groan, Olan stretches and props his feet on the stone ring of the fire*

So try to relax, you'll live longer; and if you don't live longer, at least you'll die happier.
Ingram Folles - Scholar