Healing Potions

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Healing Potions

Post by Nelkie »

The way healing potions currently work unbalance the game. They partial remove the fear of going into deep negatives because if you have enough potions can can survive it. This takes away from the healer and some of the danger of combat. Here is a suggestion for a fix.

Only 2 healing potions can be used while the person is in negatives.

Surgery Skill
Can adminster 1 additional healing potion to a person in negatives.
Can adminster another healing potion to a person in negatives when a chip is drawn from the bag.

Example
If a person drops to -40 life (with a base life of 3) a healer with basic healing potions can bring the person back. Note the healing potions cure 1 life, but in the healers hands they heal an additional life point for a total of 2 per heal potion.

start at -40
First add +2 life and 1 minute (aslo two healing potions +4 life)
Surgery +10 life and 1 minute (use another heal potion +2 life)
Draw a chip +1 life and 1 minute (use another heal potion +2 life)
The person is stable

It has taken 9 minutes to stablize the person, 7 draws from the bag, and 10 cure potions.

So negatives under this new rule can be deadly if you go past -18 because one must draw from the bag.
My Thoughts

Aaron
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

I have a few ideas on this:

1) Healing potions only heal life in negatives if administered by a healer. If they are not administered by a healer they have no effect.

-OR-

2) You can only recieve one potion while in negatives (Regardless who administers it. The healer still gets an advantage because their potion is twice as effective)

-OR-

3) You cannot recieve a potion while bleeding to death. (Note, this still benefits the healer because they have the first aid skill to stop someone from bleeding to death. It could also benefit the warriors with Determenation and endurance if we edit in this ability to their skill descriptions.)

I personally like number 3 the best. It seems to be the most intuitive rule.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Still like the idea of the chip bag allowing an additional potion. Gives a really good reason to make higher level heal potions. Without being able to use them in negatives they really aren't much use since you can be fully healed in 4 minutes. With the chip allowing a potion it puts less of a stigmaon the chip bag. I'd be more willing to draw a chip if I knew it had the ability to heal me up by up to 5 life.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Reid,

The way I understand it, you can drink one potion while in negatives. If you want more, you need to draw a chip? Can you explain? an only healers administer an additional potion then?
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Donovan Thynedar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donovan Thynedar »

Personally, I'd be inclined towards suggestion #1. (Watch the bias here though, I am a healer.) I like the idea of being able to use potions on someone in negatives, since it fosters the possibility of that last, desperate effort to save someone. (Nelkie, remember emptying Ka's potion pack on the roadside when you got blown well into negatives?) But I'd say that it's something that only a healer could do.
One should rather die than be betrayed. There is no deceit in death. It delivers precisely what it has promised. Betrayal, though ... betrayal is the willful slaughter of hope.
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

I like anyone using a potion to heal a couple points of life just so people dont die too much.

Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
WayneO42
GM

Re: RE

Post by WayneO42 »

GM_Chris wrote:I like anyone using a potion to heal a couple points of life just so people dont die too much.

Chris
Die too much?....Who are you and what did you do with Chris? :lol:
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Acorrding to Nelkie's idea, when someone hits negatives they can be given two potions by anyone to raise them up. The healer may also use first aid and surgury. If together, these attempts are unsuccessful, then the person must draw from the bag. Each time a chip is drawn from the bag, one additional potion may by administered by the healer.

Makes the chip bag a little less scary (which is why it is unused as of yet) since right now there is a defiinite wall where you are done. With the potion thing, the wall gets a little fuzzy and instead of having to draw 4 chips at negative 19, you might only need to draw one if you can find someone with the right potion. Granted one can still kill you...

This change also makes higher level potions much more valueable. As it stands currently, there is no difference between 4 cure 1s and 1 cure 4. And in the hands of a healer the 4 cure 1s are actually better, which is very backwards. (This is the actual rule break that is being fixed)

With the change, 4 cure 1s are ony good for small negatives. And if you need to bring someone back from way in negatives, you'll want that healer with cure 4s and the guild bonus just to save them. Not some warrior with a bunch of low level cures. Also the reason for two potions from anyone is so that we non-healers have a prayer of bringing back a healer if they fall. In combat, you are hit on average of 2-4 times before you hit the ground, and with 2 being a fairly average call, that -4 to -8 so with two potions being delivered that puts two potions right on the numbers. Make sense?
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

It makes sense to me. The only thing I am concerned with is keeping track of how many potions you were given in negatives, but I guess keeping track of up to two isn't all that hard (Unless you are from Florida but then you probably couldn't figure out LARPing in general, but I digress).
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

1) This could work but I would say an alchemist or a healer since the alchemist makes the potions they should know how to administer it.
One question about this one though, what about the guild skill administer potion, in the description it say's as the healer ability, would that then mean that with that guild skill you could administer in negs?

2) This one could work too, it would also give alchemist's a reasom to make more higher level heals instead of having a gaggle of 1 pt heals. Which as Ried stated is kinda wonky right now anyway with the 1's being much more effective than the higher levels. (Note the administer skill adds 1 life not double the potion so a level 3 heal would be 4 if using the skill.)

3)Don't really like this one becuase then who saves the healer?
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Another healer :)

I disagree about the alchamist being able to admin potions.

The guild skill means that everyone gets to heal an extra point with a healing potion.

As for administrating in negatives anyone can do that. Anyone can give out two healing potions. The surgery skill allows you to give out more.

Chris
Chris
Corbyn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Corbyn »

As another healer, I like suggestion 1. I think the game is pretty lethal as it is, so I agree that everyone should be able to administer potions to those in negative, but Reid's 'potion in the bag' idea should be considered. There should be some incentive for learning higher level heal potions. If the healer skill which adds +1 to a potion, doubled the potion's effect instead, that might take care of it. So, a level 3 potion would return 6 lp if admin. by a healer...
Corbyn Gravesbane
Lord High Cavalier
The Hand of Woodhold
Elder of Final Haven
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Before Aaron posted me and him were discussing healing potions and why we as game runners wanted to see a change. What was not mentioned is how we do not like the flow of the game in respects to healing potions. Now granted we have monster issues to look at as well AND last event dont forget those golems were super tough and you still mananged to almost kill them all.

Anyways I want to see people pulling out of a fight well before negatives is reached. I dont like how a person can count up potions and figure they are cool until they hit negative 15. Negatives should be the place you dont ant to go. Now if you are less organized than the guild of light then negatives probably are scary but things need to be balanced at a certain level of organization. I think alot of games fail at the high levels because people dont balance for the best but for somewhere in the middle, then when people do become the best things start to break. We must balance things at the top end and then make sure the difference between the top end and the low end is not very far.

Chris

P.S. very busy so I didnt edit this post.
Chris
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Heh, most people don't even need potions at -15... :D

surgury + first aid = 12 and base life of 3 = 15, but I know what you are trying to make a point of. Granted with potions being capped at 2, and the fact that it takes 24 hours to make one 4 life potion, I have a feeling anything beyond -5 will be scary if there isn't a healer immediately available. If they are, it moves out to -19 or so.
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

Negatives can be still quite scary, even with healers around. A healer can perform surgery on only one person at a time. If there are more people in the negatives then there are healers available, people are going to bleed to death.
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.