Shadow walk and Shadow sending

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

GM_Chris
GM

Shadow walk and Shadow sending

Post by GM_Chris »

Player input on these spells?

Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

I would need more information about these spells before I could offer any input.
Ravinal
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ravinal »

Last I knew Shadow walk was second level and Shadow send was fourth level. It seemed a huge gap to me. Though I imagine the length between sending to and recieving people from shadowy nothing-ness is evily intentional. I feel that for those who may say your not giving anything up to create this spell effect, there is an inherant flaw in using this spell that we are continuously warned about.
deceased
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Sorry was in a hurry.

Here is the thing. We have a teleportation spell.

Problem:
We dont want to RP invisible people thus last event we said that you could see them. Now these people are suppose to be in another realm so they should not be able to talk or deal damage nor should they be able to take damage. Problem is if they cannot take damage then you have some other bad problems arrise that I dont want to get into.

So we could say people in the shadow realm can be seen and hit for magic damage. We then limit those people in the shadow realm to 0 damage and unable to use any activated/charges skills.

Does this work or is this lame?
Chris
Ravinal
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ravinal »

I see where people are coming from with not wanting there to be invisiblity in the game. Yet, what is the point of the teleport spell if it doesn't make you travel faster and people can damage you. My point, in one situation where a npc villian can swing for magic : The group finishes the half hour teleport spell just in time to flee from the main villian's castle. The main villian steps in at the last second where he follows and kills them. They aren't able to do anything.
deceased
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Depends on if it is an NPC thing vrs PC thing
Chris
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

So after pcs enter a sending circle, they could be seen and hit by people outside it for magic damage? So what's the point of the spell? If it doesn't improve travel time, the intent of the teleportation is more or less lost.

I can understand not wanting them immune to damage and visible, as I'd throw a bunch of people through one before a mass combat just to stand in front and absorb damage.

Obviously, I have no idea of what happened last event, but is there an issue with people just going oog when they enter, and if there is no recieving circle they take x damage every so often? Or random oog npc can hit oog pcs....?
Ian_McAllister
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ian_McAllister »

How about this... When dealing with sending circles, once a person steps through, unless there is a GM reason just have them be considered OOG and they must go to perhaps a designated spot and announce clearly to anyone who approches they are OOG. Then once a Receiving circle is opened they proceed as quickly as possible to that location still OOG, again save for GM reasons. Then as soon as they step through the receiving circle they are immediately IG.

Last game was a bit of a mess as no one was sure of who was IG or OOG or even exactly what the NPC's were. I figure there is always a learning curve to anything and with the knowledge of last game we can work to better incidents such as that.. cause let me tell you i loved that whole scene.. it was fantastic and had me all worked up for hours. I would love to see similar situautions where we can band together and fight like we did.

2nd suggestion.. forthecoming.. time to go back to work.
Your Knowledge cannot save you,
Your Magic cannot save you,
Nothing can save you!
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

Personally, I would think that they would be entirely out of game while they were traveling until they hit wherever they were popping out, and unable to affect anything in any way.

I seem to recall folks with their hands over their heads last event as being out of game...what did I miss where there was a big problem with out of game folks? Sorry if I mis-read this.

Cool spells, I like the ideas...I didn't know they existed, actually, until this post. I can see the mischief and problems inherent though.
Mike: For the majority of you, choosing to use a packet instead of a weapon is a hindrance because your aims suck.

Travis: Crap he is on to me.
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

Ether spies! Yes, that would be bad. Magic damage should definitely affect any etherial being.

I like the idea that you really don't want to be trapped in this state. You're vulnerable to magical attack, but can do nothing, yourself. Indeed, all active abilities should be deactivated upon entering this state. Otherwise, you could have people entering a sending circle with their weapons magically charged or even perhaps a boom in hand.
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Ravinal
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ravinal »

The problem still is, what is the point of a teleport spell that makes you walk the same distance; at the same speed; wtih beings that can swing magic able to kill you. To my understanding of the way this is being worded *I could be very wrong*, you just cast a 30 minute spell that makes you defenceless. Why not just walk the same distance and actually have the ablity to fight.
deceased
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

OOG

Post by cole45 »

I agree with Kal there. They should definiately be OOG. They should be neither able to affect nor be affected by anything. If asked, they should have to respond they are out of game until they pop out. Otherwise the spell is kind of a waste.
Travis Cole
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I like the idea of entering and going oog, then traveling to a designated npc location if no recieving circle exists (like a "triangle of shame" near npc camp). Then if/when a recieving circle pops up traveling to that. Npc's can then do as they wish to the pcs without others getting confused.

Only issue is casting a recieving circle would require npc notification, if pcs were in the "triangle of shame", as by the time they walked to it, the person casting could be long gone.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

HATE HATE HATE HATE people walking around OOG. It is absolutely the worse thing at a LARP next to a guy in jeans listening to an MP3 player using dude speak while he wacks people with his uber sword of destruction.

That said I NEVER said that we were removing the teleport feature. Now if you are currently in the shadow realm and PC's happen to see you then well they can attack you. Movement is very strange in the shadows.

Oh and thanks Eric for explaining EXACTLY the problems associated with the spell. :)
Chris
kmeinka
New in Town
New in Town

Post by kmeinka »

So if I understand the problem correctly, and if I don't just ignore me, we have a "teleport" spell that can send someone into another realm essentially, and then they have to be pulled out again by another, more difficult spell. That makes sense to me, much easier to throw something into a box full of junk than to rummage through and find it. But the problem now is that we have people in a "shadow realm" who are oog and can't take any sort of damage. So, I see how this could be used as a get out of jail free card. Shoot I'm almost dead, send me to the "shadow realm" where I will be safe.

What if we attached a difficulty to extracting someone from the realm based on the time spent in it. Something that would allow it to be used effectively as a teleport spell, if you had someone on both ends to quickly put them in and pull them out, but very dangerous if they remained in the realm for any period of time.

I could see this played out in several ways, greatly increase the cost to the caster of the "extraction" spell the longer the person is in the "shadow," cause major damage to the person in the shadow realm (perhaps beyond physical damage and get into some sort of risk of temporary or permanent skill loss), or have an ever increasing chance of some ooky thing coming back with you the longer you are in.

-Kevin