Interesting Facts

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Interesting Facts

Post by Nelkie »

Clarification:

2nd level archer, is it a charged skill or no. In the last like it say "as this skill charges" but there is no time. I believe it is not a charged skill.

Interesting fact. People are having issues with being diarmed or having their weapon shattered ina fight, and not being able to defend themselves. Eric and I read the rules and there are many ways for a person to defend themselves when they have to weapon. All of the these skills do not require a weapon to use according to the rules

Disarm
Parry
1st level monk
All the empath abilities
Defensive matrix
Knock Out
Touch of Death
Hold Ground
Gernadier
Root

So most people will have a back up skill or two to use when they lose their weapon. So disarm and shatter are not that bad or powerful!
My Thoughts

Aaron
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Also for note, this is under the current rules, some rules may not have been fully intended that way, however, all can make sense in given circumstances.

disarm - we've all seen the dude knock a weapon out of an attacker's hand unarmed in the movies after he's lost his.

parry - I could see this with just a shield. Hands, eh, bit of a stretch, though we've all seen the wet towel vs. a knife fight...

defensive matrix - I'm dodging like a crazy person. Course if you hit me in the back I'm toast

Hold ground - again, I could see it with just a shield. Hands only, eh bit of a leap. Granted, it could be the I've been stabbed hundreds of times and I'm going to die, but I'm going to slow you down anyway.
Donmayo
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donmayo »

Again my only question was way back when:

Why is it only Commoners can fight with fist. Buying the skill no big deal, 20 points. Having access to it as a savage, who would have it? Not an option.
*Seeing 3 birdmen in the road Corbyn asks:
"Donmayo can we trust these travelers?"
-They are Avyana, of course not"
“But you’re an Avyana”
-Yesss I am, aren't I...

-Donmayo of Mahuru April 1055 PEW
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

I agree. I would like to see a savage discipline that uses fists. Actually, it probably should be bothe common and savage to keep the ratio correct. In the other thread I suggested

Level 1: Hand to Hand (Can Fight with one fist Phys rep and block. Off hand must be free)
Level 2: Combat Reflexes (2 AP)
Level 3: Advanced Hand to Hand (Can use two Dagger sized fist Phys reps)
Level 4: Fists of Fury (Spend 1 LP to gain Plus one with fists but all damage is crush. Cannot be used with Rage Skill)

I think the level 4 needs work. As Reid pointed out, its kind of weak
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Donmayo
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donmayo »

:), but at least we are getting on the same page.
*Seeing 3 birdmen in the road Corbyn asks:
"Donmayo can we trust these travelers?"
-They are Avyana, of course not"
“But you’re an Avyana”
-Yesss I am, aren't I...

-Donmayo of Mahuru April 1055 PEW
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Few more issues with skills:

No weapon type limit on any archer skills. Technically, one could use level 2 archer with a melee weapon to deal vorpal damage. All of them need weapon types. ie "increases the damage" changes to "increases bow/xbow damage"

Assasin level 2 can be used with blunt weapons? Intentional? A monk could swing poison with his fists... coat a weapon, could be "coat bladed melee weapon or quiver of arrows"

Druid level 4 (crush attack) may be used with ranged weapons...

All the enchant weapon skills (last three disciplines) can be used with ranged or melee weapons. Also, currently, if you start swinging magic, you cannot turn it off till the combat is over.

That's it for now
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Re: Interesting Facts

Post by Onimaster »

Nelkie wrote:Interesting fact. People are having issues with being diarmed or having their weapon shattered ina fight, and not being able to defend themselves. Eric and I read the rules and there are many ways for a person to defend themselves when they have to weapon. All of the these skills do not require a weapon to use according to the rules

Disarm
Parry
1st level monk
All the empath abilities
Defensive matrix
Knock Out
Touch of Death
Hold Ground
Gernadier
Root

So most people will have a back up skill or two to use when they lose their weapon. So disarm and shatter are not that bad or powerful!
Without getting into it, I am just gonna say that it is not a lack of awareness to other abilities you can use unarmed we needed listed for us that made me ask about an unskilled combat rule.

The things you listed are great, but we want something for everyone even NPC characters without points to buy such abilities as a fundamental intrinsic system mechanic. Not as an means to fight effectivly in any sense, but to represent that there is a lower level beneith skilled combat and above utter helplessness.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

NPC's can do whatever they wish... they don't need a new mechanic.

We, however, aren't utterly helpless, with or without the rule, which I think was the original point.
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

dier_cire wrote:NPC's can do whatever they wish... they don't need a new mechanic.

We, however, aren't utterly helpless, with or without the rule, which I think was the original point.
No, GMs can do whatever they wish. Npcs are bound by the same laws of reality we are as far as basic mechanics and rule systems unless a GM specifically overides a rule.

The point was that there should be a fundamental way for someone to hit someone else without spending points on being a kung fu master. You don't need to be a green belt to give someone a bloody nose.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I also don't need to be a minor league ball player to throw a rock either... :D

And you are right, npc's are bound by rules. However, they get their abilities from the gms who wrote the character/monster, which is what I was refering to.
Techincality, I hate thee when you bite me in the ass.
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

I feel your pain there Eric. The only reason I am not against Grenadier is that it is a ranged ability not melee.

And for my next trick...
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage