Bow use for everyone

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Bob-Z (kabre)
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Bob-Z (kabre) »

Yea I guess.

But 1.) i dont think it would be confusing because its not like anyone else on the field has to keep track of it, only the guy shooting does.

2.) I was certain I read somewhere that a closer definition of the skill "true shot" was studying your opponent to find weaknesses (ex.. ok, this dude doesn't have amor on his right thigh... he juts left after every right block...), and not necessisarily just holding your bow steady and waiting.

3.) Our impromptu archery contest was based on our player's skill with a bow, not our character's skill. A character that has dedicated his life to archery is going to be able to shoot very very rapidly as soon as his bow is up. In the real world, I hunt with a bow, and hunting for the last 9 years (and only for a few months out of those years) has gotten me to the point where I can pretty much get my bow up and loose an arrow immidiately, and shoot a very similar group to the group I would get if i sit and wait with the bow drawn. In fact, the longer the bow is drawn (if using a lonbow, or recurve), the worse your shot is going to be because your arm gets very tired and starts shaking and easing up on the draw.

If there are other skill that require similar wait times for similar reasons, I guess we can't change them all -- It just seemed to me that the way true shot was explained to me, that my suggestion could be viable.

Bob
Moo.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

i dont think it would be confusing because its not like anyone else on the field has to keep track of it, only the guy shooting does.
I only meant as far as mechanics go for counted actions in general.
It just seemed to me that the way true shot was explained to me, that my suggestion could be viable.
And it very well could be, my opinion means absosmurfly jack and shit.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

True shot needs to remain the way it is for balance sake. If you discount the reload time for a crossbow, I think true shot is right where it needs to be. Think of it not only as the archer steadying his hand and aiming but also waiting for the target to "present" the weak or vulnerable spot. You need to wait for the arm to be extended to expose the ribs, for the warrior to lift his shield away from his body, or etc.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

As for balance, considering the same concept could be said for backstab, would you really want someone being able to call multiple '12's on anything?

Other issue is say another person gets hit instead of the intended target, then you'd have to discount the +2 vorpal. As it is now, with the count, it's not a big issue.
Curufin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Curufin »

Wake up everybody!

It's been far too long without any cross-bow questions! We've all been slacking off. Shame shame, I know your name!

Anyway, a heavy x-bow is defined as a cross bow that requires two hands to use. So can a standard x-bow phys-rep(light) that is exclusively used with two hands be considered a heavy x-bow for ingame?

It's a little drunk and I'm a little late, so I can clarify more later, if there are any questions about what I am trying to say.

Ryan
Lost my train of thought.....
Bob-Z (kabre)
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Bob-Z (kabre) »

dong... DONG... grandpa's talking to you
Moo.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

I would say that if you use it two handed you could consider it a heavy x-bow as long as it wasn't a pistol style handgrip.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Bob-Z (kabre)
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Bob-Z (kabre) »

Would the one i sent you pics of fit into the "can be used as heavy" classification then, wayne? I don't really care one way or the other, im in the process of making a much larger xbow to use as a heavy, but I can say i used that other bow exclusively with two hands at the last event.
Moo.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

My thoughts (though I admittedly do not use one) for a heavy xbow would be anything not easily held in one hand. Basically the weight balance would be so that holding it in one hand would make it very awkward to shoot. I'm sure there's a weight value (pounds) attached to that awkwardness. Obviously a larger crossbow made of lighter material could be wielded one handed where as something made of ironwood (found out that was a real type of wood tonight, go figure) might be awkward at a very small size. Or make it a combo of the two, like if it's either x inches long or x pounds in total weight it's a heavy xbow.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

I would say that the x-bow you made was a heavy. It could be weilded one-handed from the looks of it but it would be far from effective.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Donovan Thynedar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donovan Thynedar »

Quick question to the GM's - Would it be possible to have someone consolidate the decisions we've arrived at in a post or two in the GM's corner? It would make it quite a bit easier to reference what has been decided on. As is, knowing what a ruling is requires skimming several different forum threads and reading all the relevant posts.
One should rather die than be betrayed. There is no deceit in death. It delivers precisely what it has promised. Betrayal, though ... betrayal is the willful slaughter of hope.
Bob-Z (kabre)
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Bob-Z (kabre) »

I think I have a pretty good handle on what we know. Correct me if im wrong but:

1.) We are working on establishing a satisfactory lb/inch limit for crossbows. 25 is too weak, but a 50lb/12in limit is way to strong for close quarter (which is the most important because nobody with a bow is going to want to waste their only really effective shot (the first shot) ).

2.) Anyone in the game can pick up a bow and use it for 1standard damage (don't understand yet why it wouldn't be 1 vorpal, but im not going to open up that can again :-) ).

3.) Longbows and Recurves still have a 25lb limit, and do 1 vorpal base. All crossbows other than heavy (heavy being defined as a non-pistol style, hard to shoot with one hand phys-rep) do 1 vorpal base. Heavy's do 2 vorpal base.

4.) All the archer skills stayed the same, and modifiers and multipliers are applied in the order in which you use them.

Leave anything out?

-- Bobzee
Moo.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Don't think #2 is official yet. I suggested that a couple of threads be done for just that, to weed out the definite changes and keep the confusion down. I even volunteered to keep the threads clean of useless stuff if given Mod access. We'll see when it actually happens.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Curufin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Curufin »

pretty sure #2 was ruled. if not, has there been a play-test date scheduled yet?
Lost my train of thought.....
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

heh, if it isn't on the GM forum or the rulebook it hasn't been ruled. :D Eventually, all will be fixed but we must remember our good gms have to make money and such as well as ponder on our fates too. Heck there is a list of things probably two and a half pages long that are still up in the air as of yet. If by next year nothing has changed begin to worry. :D

Just for reference, it could be worse, it could be CARPS. Began looking over that rules system again and oh boy... Still amazed that items come into game that are impossible via the rules. It's been around for nine years now and is maybe 65% done.