Bow use for everyone

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

I agree with Aaron, I think if we lower the magic arrow count to 20 and get rid of re-load times on crossbows, it will even out the archer quite a bit. As far as +1 for quality bows, I am a bit leary about this. I dont want to go down that road and set a prescedent. Maybe we could add a guild skill equivelent to true shot but with a max of +1. That way an archer could stack it with his true shot skill to do a max of +3 extra damage.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Curufin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Curufin »

Guys,

All good ideas. I really like the idea of a guild skill that could potentially make the archer better. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions, and mark me down for any play testing.

Can vorpal destroy shields?

Ryan
Lost my train of thought.....
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Any "Type" of damage can destroy shields given that it exceeds the shields damage threshold.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Curufin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Curufin »

good to know.... now thats in one shot right? if a shield has 10 armor/life points, it would have to take 10 damage in one "hit" to be destroyed. is this correct?
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Yep, that is correct.

And I could see the guild skill... Just make it the same level as the boom one since they are effective on par with each other. Probably make it "archers gain a +1 true shot, or if you already have true shot you may charge it for an additional +1".
Curufin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Curufin »

I think that sounds very reasonable.
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

I can get behind; No load time.

I can get behind; A Guild bonus

I have a problem with vorpal, or even an arrow, destroying the sheild. Vorpal is the equivalent of 'peircing', ergo it peirces armor to directly effect the body. In my opinion, while the sheild might need to be repaired (for story, not mechanics) it wouldnt be destroyed.

Every one should know I am the head of the CFR, (Coalition for Fewer Rules) and think we should have fewer, not more, rules. That being said.. Is there room for a new rule here? or would it just add confusion?

Should a 'Vorpal' arrow, that exceeds the damage rating of a sheild, "Surge" i.e. Penetrate the Sheild. It would loose its vorpal quality (basically changes it to normal damage) But the sheild wouldnot be destroyed, and it would make the Archer more formidable.

~the Lunatic fringe~
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

I think the "Surge" would be way too powerful. It would basically be saying that an arrow does either vorpal or crush, which ever is more damaging.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Brikal Farside
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Brikal Farside »

hmm.... shield destroying arrows????!!?! just my opinion, but...

though it'd be very advantagous for me, it just doesn't sound very 'arrowly'
Good.... Bad.... I'm the guy with the crossbow.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Sometimes in a LARP, realism needs to be sacrificed to playabilituy. I would say that if we do not allow arrows to destroy shields we should just not allow any weapon to destroy a shield, for simplicity's sake. Maybe just say only magic damage can destroy a shield.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Bob-Z (kabre)
Town Member
Town Member

new development

Post by Bob-Z (kabre) »

HEY! Well, we went ahead and fabricated the first 50ish pound crossbow (actually weighed in at about 47lbs at 12inch draw). We constructed the bow using the same style body as many of the phoenix used last event, and used 2 fibreglass rods for the bow.

Let me tell ya, we might want to play some more with the idea. Steve, Ryan and I are all pretty much scared of what we've just created. When struck at close range in thick leather or plate armor, all is well. However, when you get hit at less than 25 yards in little or no armor, its gonna hurt. In fact, a misplaced shot shattered a safety shield attached to my face. It fires at basically the speed of colin's bow (at full draw), but the standard bow has an advantage, in that at close range your power can be backed off (as opposed to the go/no-go nature of a crossbow).

Now if people can be trusted to fire at only ranges of 25 yards and further, we have no worries, but in the heat of battle, things get a little crazy, and someone might move in a little too close...

I think most of the phoenix are more than willing to be monkeys for playtesting, and we'd be happy to bring the xbow with us if you need playtesting help.

The best bet may be to split the difference, and do like a pound/inch with a 35 pound max crossbow??? we'd be happy to play with it and bring some options for the GMs to check out.

Thankx

Bob-z
Moo.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I go with KISS. damage is damage. And any arrow doing enough damage to destroy a shield is going to be doing 'magic' damage. It may not be realistic but, neither is people throwing energy... It's not a major flaw, just something that does't follow reason. Touch of death is typically a single point type of atttack yet we have it as anywhere on the body, same concept...
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Bob,

I'll email you about the crossbow. I am going to a siege weapon/ crossbow tourney this weekend and I'll ask some of the pro arbalists for some suggestions.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Bob-Z (kabre)
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Bob-Z (kabre) »

Hey all,

I just thought of something that might lend to the appeal of both a character becoming an archer, and an archer actually hanging on to his bow a bit longer before going to melee.

If I'm not mistaken, the concept behind "True shot" is that the archer takes some time to study his enemy -- how he moves, and weakpoints (in armor or otherwise). Well what if we were to say that after an archer has selected a target and counted 10 out (yielding him another +2vorpal to his weapon), that he is required to take those 10 seconds only for the first shot on that target until he decides to switch to another target or use any other skill. This will represent that the archer has studied his enemy and already knows his weakneses after the first shot.

The archer can then fire for 3 or 4 (heavy xbow) vorpal without delay at this single target until the archer kills his enemy or is forced to/decides to move to another target -- at which point he can count his 10 one time on that target and begin firing again.

If the archer decides to switch off his target, and then wants to move back to it, he must "re-familiarize" himself with it, and make his count again.

The archer could also opt to just count out 5 seconds once, and then repeatedly fire 2 or 3 vorpal until he is no longer interested in that target.

If this is how it already works, or has been discussed previously, please disregard.

Thanx

Bob
Moo.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

I am one that's for all the counted actions to be handled the same way as far as mechanics go, making each one different will only cause confusion, there are other counted actions that play out as familiarizing yourself with the target, and if you change true shot then you pretty much need to change the rest as well. Think of it as time lining up the shot and firing at a favorable time where something is exposed, much the way that I view backstab, you are trying to get that vital spot and want to make sure you hit it so you take a few seconds to steady your hand and focus on your target. It's the same with most things, take a bunch of baseballs and a target on a wall and stand at 1\2 - 3\4 of your max throw, if you want to hit that target accurately you aren't going to just fling the balls you are going to aim and take a few seconds to focus before each throw. When the impromptu archery contest took place at the last event everyone took much longer than 5 seconds aiming before they loosed their arrow, true the taget was small but you guys were not that far away from it and that would pretty much represent the size of the spot you would be trying to hit on an opponent.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~