Winter Party 2007 (Feb 16-18th)

Want to get people together outside of Final Haven? Post your ideas here!

Moderator: Admin

Lao
Town Member
Town Member

Winter Party 2007 (Feb 16-18th)

Post by Lao »

Winter Party 2007

When: Feb 16-18
Where: Palmer Lodge at the Bertha Brock park in Ionia (http://www.ioniacounty.org/bbpark/index.html)
Time: Come up on Friday to hang out and setup if you like, otherwise show up sometime Saturday.
Cost: $35 per person/$60 per couple (I know this is higher then last year, but we arent getting the lodge free this year and the price of the lodge increased).

Like the past couple of years I am hosting (?) a winter party for Michigan Larpers to get together OOG and have a good old time. Previous years activities have included, Dancing, Drinking, Snowball fights, Drunken Sledding, Drunken Midnight Sledding, Drunken Train Sledding, and of course Feasting. If you are reading this you are invited to attend.

Tenative Menu:

Saturday during the day we will have various snacks such as veggies and dips, cheeses, meats, crackers, cookies, etc etc.

For dinner on Saturday (around 5 or 6 pm)

Cider Roasted Ham
Honey Roasted Turkey
Scalloped Potatoes with Ham
Green Bean Cassorale
Buttered Corn
Fresh Baked Rolls

1-2 soups (I'm thinking about a hearty chicken noodle and either beef stew or potato soup this year)

Dessert:
Chocolate Sheet Cake and probably something else

Drinks:
Hot Chocolate
Hot Tea
Various Soda Pop

I will try and provide some alcohol like usual, but if you have a particular taste it might be best if you provided for yourself. I will also try and have some mixers and in the past years we have had Erik our personal/Professional Bartender/Gamer (Aka Solari) mixing some shots for us.

For those who have not been to the Palmer Lodge it is a large lodge with balconies on either side, it is heated by 2 large fireplaces which we will have going starting early Friday. Even with the fireplaces it is recommended that you dress warmly although the cold has not been a real issue in past years. Everyone is welcome to stay the night both Friday and Saturday although you will need to bring sleeping accomodations (sleeping bag/air mattress for example). If you do plan on staying Friday night we usually get up and go out to breakfast Saturday morning so an extra 5-7$ would be advised if you wish to join us. If not I will have snacks available as soon as I return from breakfast. :)

If you have any questions please feel free to email/PM/IM/call me or whatever. Please RSVP if at all possible either by responding to this post or contacting me in some fashion.

Hope to see ya there,
Evan
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Feb LARP gathering

Post by Torakhan »

I can't see why I can't be there. If I am, I'll tend fires like usual.

Has it always been in February? Or has my bad memory that thought it was earlier in the past?

Let's hope for more snow this year too! (They're calling for a better Winter than last year.)
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Is there a cheaper cost if you don't plan on eating, or a drinking only option?
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Shea Stonebrook
Town Member
Town Member
Location: On the way back to Woodhold from traveling with Connor (my husband)

Post by Shea Stonebrook »

Do you have a date that you need to know when everyone who is coming is coming??

I'd like to come but I don't know if it's possible yet.
Shea Stonebrook

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath.
Lao
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lao »

Last year it was in January, the year before that it was in February...basically it depends on what dates are available for me to get the lodge. This year I didnt have many options.

Matt...Im sure we can work something out if you just want to come hang out.

Shea....I dont really have a definate date that I need to know by...it just helps me to know in advance who all plans to attend so I can make sure I have enough food for everyone. If you dont know until the last minute that is fine. I would rather you come without giving any notice then not come at all.

Evan
Laura
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Laura »

I am going to try and come but it is a little early for me to say yes for sure!!
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
~Henry David Thoreau~
valkenus
New in Town
New in Town

Post by valkenus »

Eating?
Drinking?
And merriment?!

I'm so in!

Perhaps pot luck thing we could do to make for more food...? Like brining a dish to pass or something of that sort. That I think would be pretty coolness. Yeah, nay?

Casey
Sir Lycaelon Val'Kenus

It is the duty of the brave man to live with glory, or with glory die.
ColtenBlack
New in Town
New in Town

Post by ColtenBlack »

Im in too!

Colten.
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

Just a reminder to anyone who has never experieced one of our 'Winter Parties' (insert name drop here) Taki can attest that this is the closest thing you will ever get to just plain stupid fun.

No one should willingly miss this shindig!

~the Lunatic fringe~
Donovan Thynedar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donovan Thynedar »

*insert puppet arm*

Yes! I, Taki, do in fact agree that the Winter Party is the closest thing you will ever get to just plain stupid fun! There's food! There's booze! There's flying down a hill at high speed! Debauchery and merriment, WA HOO!

You all should attend! This much fun for only $35.00! What a deal! I'm certainly going to be there!

*remove puppet arm*

Seriously folks, it's a blast. You don't want to miss it.
One should rather die than be betrayed. There is no deceit in death. It delivers precisely what it has promised. Betrayal, though ... betrayal is the willful slaughter of hope.
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Got Wood? Got Gas?

Post by Torakhan »

Will we be doing the same for wood as we did for the One-Day-Event? (getting it from the ranger station). If so, we're gonna need to make sure someone has a truck there again.

Also, I personally would encourage (unless Evan has a problem with it) anyone with a portable propane/gas space heater to bring it--you know, the type that they use to heat up construction sites, or large buildings in the Winter. I think it'd be really good to heat the building up early with it while the fires are getting going and maybe use it when/if it drops below comfort levels (again, we'll only have 18 hours or so there for people staying the night, so the stones arent' going to really have time to heat up.)
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
Lao
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lao »

I have already made arrangements for someone to bring a kerosine heater to help keep things warm and toasty.

But if anyone has access to a 2nd one that would be bonus!
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Heat

Post by Torakhan »

... I wonder what happens if you blast one of those into the back of a fireplace... I'm just thinking that puting your hands in front of one (let alone breathing in the fumes) may not be too good for you, but if it was jetting into an unlit fireplace... the fumes might go up, and the stones might be hot..

But I still expect we'll have some fires going. ^.^
Colin
New in Town
New in Town

video

Post by Colin »

Wayne, Todd and I have constructed "special sleds" with which we should all have a lot of fun. However, as I'm sure most of you would agree, last years tomfoolery should have been recorded for posterity. We were wondering if there was anyone who could bring a video camera.

We would like to put together a “video diary” or something like that of the weekend, nothing fancy, but fun.

Wayne and Colin’s Creations

1. Homemade luge

2. "the pretty hate machine" (if you want to know more, you’ll have to come)

Colin
"Never live in someone's shadow, But share the limelight"

"just because my whiskey costs $6.08 a fifth, doesn't mean I wont kill you"
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

How many people will be there Friday night?
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage