Winter Haven--would you like to add a Hanna House with that?

Want to get people together outside of Final Haven? Post your ideas here!

Moderator: Admin

Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

I can understand the reasons you're trying it this way, long walk, player request, cost, etc. And I understand that you're just trying to warn people and that you can't do much about it this year, hence the suggestion to try and find a camp with a heated sleeping area for next year. Most people like to be comfortable when they sleep even if they like playing winter events. I LOVE WINTER EVENTS!! I was one of the few people that used to come to all the winter events at CARPS. But I also won't go to another winter event where the sleeping area isn't heated. Having gone to quite a few winter events at Bertha Brock and at Brighton Rec the difference is leaps and bounds. Waking up freezing cold and shivering and being sick for the next week or so just isn't worth it. Yes I could buy an electric blanket but do you really want a game where purchasing an electric blanket is a requirement? Whether you call it Winterhaven or Sverfneblinhaven most people don't want to be cold when they're sleeping even if they love larping in the winter and if you want your game to grow you have to consider that... or don't and assume that it won't affect people coming to the game.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Amagus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Amagus »

Doesn't matter to me. I've slept in an unheated cabin through a night of -17 deg. F at a February Shifted Lands event. Talk about no out-of-game - had to sleep in full gear to stay warm! It was a nifty experience. Staying in-game helps a lot. If you go out of game mentally when you go to bed, discomfort is more likely to bother you.
Death is the threshold to immense possibility
Donovan Thynedar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donovan Thynedar »

I've gotta agree with Doug on this one, staying in-game makes all the difference in the world. I've sat up all night on watches I knew were pointless, slept on the floor, slept in full armor, fastened my sword to my arm, and tied myself to a door on more than one occasion all because that's what my character would do. As long as I kept my head in the game, it really made a difference.

Conversely, the moment I really allowed myself to come out of game when I crashed I practically died. Never before has face-planting onto concrete been so welcome an experience. Stay immersed, for your own sake! :lol:
One should rather die than be betrayed. There is no deceit in death. It delivers precisely what it has promised. Betrayal, though ... betrayal is the willful slaughter of hope.
Lilliana
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Lilliana »

I just wanted to share what I have found on the topic of electric blankets. I have been shopping around and I have found that some places they can be very pricy. At meijers twin size starts at $40, full is $50, and a queen is $60 and up. The only sale I saw on them was at meijers but that was only 10% off. Goodwill and other second hand stores do not carry them due to it can be a fire hazard, if they are not updated ones. I have not checked Wal-Mart, or target. I have gone to Big Lots and they are sold out in Muskegon, but they said they will be getting more hopefully this week, but I did not get a price. I have also looked at the hunting department of meijers and they sell small warmers that when exposed to air they heat up. They have toe, hand, and body warmers. You can buy them individually for around $1.50 a two pack for toe and hand warmers and only a couple dollars more for the body warmers. You can also get a multi pack for $10. The only thing you must be careful of with these is not to sleep with them cus they could burn you and you must check the expiration date. If the date is too close to the expiration or is expired they will not work very well. These warmers work great. My dad and I use them for hunting and we put a toe warmer in each boot and a hand warmer in each hand or put a body warmer on and we end up being toasty! I say it's a small price to pay for some warmth and they last a good 8 hrs. I will keep ya all posted on the new developments on the search for an electric blanket. :D
Shea Stonebrook
Town Member
Town Member
Location: On the way back to Woodhold from traveling with Connor (my husband)

Post by Shea Stonebrook »

I'm borrowing an electric blanket to save on cost...
I'm also bringing hand warmers for my pockets......
Turtlenecks/long underware for under my costume....
Hat to wear because that's where most of the heat from your body escapes from
BOOTS are the most important piece of gear...broken in, warm waterproof boots!!

If your head and feet are warm it's not hard to stay comfortable...once your feet get wet and cold forget it!!

I really think people are going to be surprised, it's not that hard to stay warm if they are prepared. I've TENT camped in much colder weather(lived 5 yrs in AK)....
Shea Stonebrook

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath.
JOAT25
Town Member
Town Member

Post by JOAT25 »

Recommendation for electric blankets: You don't need a giant blanket. Get a heating pad and stick it in the foot of a sleeping bag. They're much cheaper, and anything else is really excessive.

Then again, I'm not the best person to ask about cold weather camping, as it doesn't bother me at all.
Ingram Folles - Scholar
"Integrity comes when character is tested; keep true and never be ashamed of doing what is right."
"You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself made the villain."
"I can't leave you alone for five minutes."
Talana Isilisurë
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Talana Isilisurë »

Well, Doug... since I played Shifted Lands for 4 years and played every single winter, sleeping in an unheated and uninsulated cabin, I can officially say it sucks. Yeah, there's a whole bunch of cuddled up next to each other and just sharing as much warmth as possible, but when it comes down to it, you can only be "in game" for so long before your body says, "F this..."

Especially now that I'm years older, I just can't do it anymore. Sorry, I ain't no sissy and I stay in character as much as the next person, but Erik is right... we all pay for it for the next week or five.

Since I'm already sick and the weather is unseasonably cold already, I'm going to have to pass on this event, but wish you guys the best of luck!

Tonia
Talanalassë Isilisurë
Elven Artificer
"Seere ana ilya..." ("Peace to all...")
Amagus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Amagus »

As I recall you chose to sleep in a heated building that night. Which you should do, if you fear conditions may become a safety or health issue. But if you're properly prepared and in the right mindset, weathering harsh conditions can be a fantastic RP experience.
Death is the threshold to immense possibility
Talana Isilisurë
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Talana Isilisurë »

Nope. The Brotherhood's Cabin was across the bridge at Ozanam, second one on the left. I slept there religiously year-round, every single month, regardless of weather, unless there was a specific roleplaying reason for Talana to not be in that building on a singular occasion.

And my point is that I've had enough of those "harsh weather tremendous roleplaying experiences..." I've done my time and I'm just too old for that now. All I'm saying is that it's enough for me to say: "I'll pass, but good luck and good times to everyone else that wants to do it."
Talanalassë Isilisurë
Elven Artificer
"Seere ana ilya..." ("Peace to all...")
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

I have to admit I've turned into a P*ssy over the last few years. Im too old for it myself. Even with the buildings we used to 'tent camp' almost year around in brighton. 4 years ago we did our last 'november tenting', at about 3am Sunday morning Bill got up and drove home, at 4 o'clock Brad got up and went to sleep in his car, at 4:30 I bailed out and went to mine. I didnt stop shivering till about 9:30. Colin stayed in the tent, but that was the last time he camped at brighton. He never set the tent up again. It can be a great expereince, but you HAVE to plan for the worst. The old addage 'The Mind is strong, but the Flesh is weak' really hits the nail on the head. All the in-game in the world wont help if your dying of oog.

P.S. I cant make it due to a prior commitment. It has nothing to do with the cold. No, really. Honest. :)
crig
Town Member
Town Member

Post by crig »

what is the Hanna House ?
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

The hannah house is one of the many buildings rentable at Camp Shawadasee for WinterHaven.

It is extremely nice, funished, and warm. It has several drawbacks, including being Non-combat, very non-period, and a hardwood floor that must not be scratched.
Travis Cole
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

And a two page long cleaning list. >_<
Mike: For the majority of you, choosing to use a packet instead of a weapon is a hindrance because your aims suck.

Travis: Crap he is on to me.