Muskegon Practice Sessions

Want to get people together outside of Final Haven? Post your ideas here!

Moderator: Admin

Ian_McAllister
Town Member
Town Member

Muskegon Practice Sessions

Post by Ian_McAllister »

Ok boys and girls, lets just use this thread to keep track of upcoming practices.

Well after the crappy weather this last week, I hope next Saturday will be gorgeous, cause I need some practice.

Anyone not wanting or able to make it this next saturday?
Your Knowledge cannot save you,
Your Magic cannot save you,
Nothing can save you!
Claude du Sinjin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Claude du Sinjin »

I should be in, though I can't say what condition I'll be in. At the very least I'll pelt people with projectiles! :D
"The knight... is down."

Claude the Expired
Black Knight of the True Dragon
Sethreal
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sethreal »

Im there.........Get off the mantle!!!
Former captain of the Azure Shields.
Donovan Thynedar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donovan Thynedar »

I'm in.
One should rather die than be betrayed. There is no deceit in death. It delivers precisely what it has promised. Betrayal, though ... betrayal is the willful slaughter of hope.
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

Sorry guys CARPS NPC meeting this weekend.
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
Dereck_Sandoval
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Dereck_Sandoval »

I should be there. unless my car dies on me or something worse.
Now- Toshi the merc with a sword now on discount For YOU!!!!

Dereck Sandoval
Ex-Healer of the Black Talons
R.I.P.
Once a Powerful Healer now he roams the forums as a Benevolent spirit
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

I'm there plus my 1/2
Kels
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kels »

You know i'll be there.
"Fear is only in your mind."

Captain of the Black Talon Unit
"Leadership is found, not chosen."
Phoenix Guard

Dick VERMEIL is a smooth mother

"If it moves Shoot it!"
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

I may not be able to go to practice as I have work Sat.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

I actually have Saturday off (WOW), so I should PROBABLY be able to show up for a bit if it's decent weather. Maybe if I don't feel uber-crappy, someone can teach me the finer points of using a spear, since that will be my weapon of choice in the future, if I ever make the damn thing, that is.

P.S- If anyone can find me a good instructional on how to make one, please point me in that direction. I can be fairly crafty with ideas, it's the implementation that gets me.
Mike: For the majority of you, choosing to use a packet instead of a weapon is a hindrance because your aims suck.

Travis: Crap he is on to me.
Dewy Stoutbringer
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

I maybe can come this weekend.

Post by Dewy Stoutbringer »

WHat time and where is the practice?

As long as I'm home by 5pmish I should be able to come and hang out/ fight with you all.

Jim
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect
--Warren Zevon
Dewy Stoutbringer
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

McGraft Park @ NOON?

Post by Dewy Stoutbringer »

Same time and place? I re-read old posts to find this info.

JIm
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect
--Warren Zevon
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Kalphoenix wrote: P.S- If anyone can find me a good instructional on how to make one, please point me in that direction. I can be fairly crafty with ideas, it's the implementation that gets me.
Go to Home Depot, Lowes, or Micheals and get a piece of 1/2" Bamboo with a thick wall. Try to get a piece as straight as possible. Make sure there are no weak points.

Take some strapping tape (The clear Kind with little strings in it) and wrap the bamboo in it by running just a single layer of tape length wise down the bamboo (So threads in the tape run the full length of the bamboo). Leave one end of the bamboo un-taped (this should be the length of your spear head -3 inches). Plug that end of the bamboo tightly with some spare foam (leave a 1/4" or so of the foam plug extending beyond the bamboo)

Make your spear head out of 6 layers of 1/4 inch foam (Camp pad). Make sure to leave a slit 1/2 wide to about 3 inches from the tip in the center 2 layers so the bamboo can fit inside the head. Also make sure the layers are firmly glued together with spray adhesive. (Note: The ideal situation would be to use 3 layers of 1/2 foam but I know that is hard to get)

Cover the spear head in Tape or Fabric. I think I would go with fabric if the shape of the head is pretty simple otherwise I would just tape it. Make sure not to cover the hole where it will slide onto the bamboo.

Epoxy the Spear head onto the end of the bamboo that is plugged with foam and does not have tape. Make sure it is firm.

Get a piece of 1/2" Pipe insulation (The green or Tan kind with a 5/8" wall) in a six foot length. I have found these at several ACE Hardware stores. Cut a notch in the foam at one end so it can slide over the spear head by a few inches (depending on your aesthetic needs). The overlapping foam can be carved down abit so it looks better. Smear the bamboo with epoxy and slide on the pipe insulation. You may have to twist and push a bit for the bamboo to fit through. It is wise to make sure the bamboo fits well before applying the epoxy.

When the epoxy has dried, cut the foam so there is about an inch of foam beyond the butt end of the bamboo. Pack this space tight with some foam. Place a little tape over the hole so the foam doesnt fall out. Cover the foam on the spear shaft with either tape or cloth and you are done. The covering where the spear shaft and head overlap could be tricky if you use cloth. I've never tried it so if you do....good luck.

If you dont want to worry about the looks of your spear, you can skip making a spear head all together and just cover the whole thing in pipe foam. Then, just cut a 18" length of the pipe foam in half and wrap it length wise on one end of the foam covered bamboo (so about 9" is on one side and 9" are on the other side) This will make a phallic shaped "spear Head")

Edit: Also, you can go to http://www.dagorhir.org/howto/DagorhirSpear.html for instructions on making a Dagohir Spear. They are pretty straight forward to make but heavy as Hell. You may be able to use their "Football" spearhead method with a 1/2" bamboo shaft with good results
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

WayneO42 wrote:Go to Home Depot, Lowes, or Micheals and get a piece of 1/2" Bamboo with a thick wall. Try to get a piece as straight as possible. Make sure there are no weak points.
When you find the bamboo let me know where. I have tried 3 stores and so far none carry bamboo or at least not close to the right size.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

I got my Bamboo at Home Depot in the gardening section. People use it to hold up vines. I have also seen it at Micheals in the Floral section.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!