Weekly Raffle Mar 18th - Mar 24th

Blah, blah, blah.

Moderator: Admin

GM-August
Town Member
Town Member

Weekly Raffle Mar 18th - Mar 24th

Post by GM-August »

Welcome to the Final Haven Weekly Raffle!
This week's question focuses on morality...

How does your character define good and evil?
Khorvalis
Town Member
Town Member

Re: Weekly Raffle Mar 18th - Mar 24th

Post by Khorvalis »

"Good are those that follow the way of the Light. Such is the path of righteousness. Evil are those that skulk in the shadows. But beware evildoers. That which is done in darkness shall eventually be revealed by the light of day!"
~Khorvalis~
Druid of the Redwind
Hierophant of the Circle of the Sun
Follower of the Light and Keeper of the Sacred Flame

"Nothing brings me more happiness than trying to help the most vulnerable people in society. It is a goal and an essential part of my life - a kind of destiny. Whoever is in distress can call on me. I will come running wherever they are."
Morgause
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Morgause »

"Good and Evil? Wrong or Right? Who has time to define such things. It almost seems trivial. It's all about surviving. Just don't do anything that would harm yourself or others. Live and let live when you can... Oh, and ALWAYS protect your own."
"I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars."

Lady Morgause - The Winter Witch
Daughter of the An'Irri & Oracle of the Weather Tradition
Chamberlain of the Guild of Seekers
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

Ark gives a blank distant stare:

"nope"

more in depth:

"good cannot exist without evil, light can not exist without dark, and vice versa. and all is subject to the consciousness of the whole, if everyone thought stealing was good, and only one person thought it was evil, is that one person good or evil? if you disagree with the whole and try to force your perception and ideals of good on them are you good or evil? what is "good" or "evil" changes over time and from culture to culture and depends on the consciousness of the whole. not many ever believe they are actually committing evil, or if they do its because its for the greater "good". its like trying to define perfection, its unknowable."

"so just nope"
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

*When the question is posed to him, Kaylan pauses in scratching notes in his journal, takes a deep breath then looks up to see the speaker as he sets the dwarven pen into the book and closes it. He leans back into the chair as he lifts the mug of dark ale from the table to his lips, draining a deep swig from it before returning it to the table and leveling his eyes on the one posing such a deep query*

“You are going to hear, if you pose the same to others as I assume you have and will, all manner of viewpoints. They don’t exist or are not definable due to cultural fluctuations, its a viewpoint of the majority over the minority...all of which is foolish claptrap or sinister word smithing...a being is born one or the other, life events can and do make one either or, and good is helping and being honorable and pleasant and kind…and evil is hate and selfishness and chaos and destruction. I think ya might even need a bigger book to record all the myriad of answers in than that one there…”

*The old dwarven captain snares his mug again before continuing, steals another hefty draw and nestles it in his hands, in his lap as he crosses his legs. For a long moment he stares into the brew as if reading his reply form it before looking back up to the inquisitive stranger and continuing*

“In my long years I have found that they both do exist, and are universe affecting forces, though not in the manner of magic or gravity or such forces that can be measured…that have some form of physical weight. No they are twin brothers, siblings to forces like …hope…despair. Each able to affect events, but as tangible as a thought or love. As for what makes them, that is quite simply the degree or the presence ….of absence of malice and intentional ill intent.
A tiger killing a man is a matter of the cycle of life, and the tiger has no hate for the man or ill intent. He seeks to feed to survive. A man that kills a another man to prevent the victim from acquiring renown or wealth that the perpetrator covets or has no claim to is an act of willful malice…that is the measure of good and evil. Almost all being are both, but that it is possible to have so much malevolence that any good cannot be seen or saved; I also think the reverse is true
In its simplest form, I define evil as the desire to better ones self at the expense of others; even when such betterment brings unneeded pain, grief, despair, and death to those affected by ones self-betterment. Good, is the absence or minimal presence of such desires.
I hope this sates your curiosity, as I have matters of business to tend and research to finish. Safe travels to you.”

*With a small nod and slight smile, Kaylan returns to the pages of his journal*
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

Sometimes I think it's not as much good and evil. I think it's actually hard to define evil, as it is ever-changing. But for me, the measure of good is Compassion. Evil is the lack thereof.

Compassion shows that someone is willing to think above their petty needs, to enrich the world around them, and a being that feels compassion will usually find that they enjoy the pleasure in others' happiness.

Evil can manytimes be selfishness, or malice, but often even the best people find that they are capable of those feelings from time to time, it's just something that is there to help us survive. But those feelings, especially fed by a petulance unbecoming any enlightened being, and an unwillingness to rise above them, in a setting where noone needs such things for a survival of the fittest anymore... that easily starts feeling like something approaching what most would consider evil.
-Evil always prevails when good people do nothing.

-All knight, every night.
Juicifer
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Juicifer »

"Love is good... Hate is evil. Or course, there is so many more emotions in between. Once too many of them fill the minds of men, that is when the line between good and evil becomes a blur."
Mahto Snowbringer
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Mahto Snowbringer »

"There is no such thing as pure good. Period. An argument saying that evil exists is more supportable, I have fought demons and spirits of pure darkness with little intent beyond pain. But, only mortals have ever claimed to be good. Mortals have a false reverence for a word that means little, there is no such thing as a 'good' person, or an 'evil' one for that matter. Those who do what we call 'good' usually do it for their own gain, whether that be physically (money, power, items), mentally (moral superiority, 'good vibes' as the Bovine Brothers would say, ease of guilt and mind), or socially (getting a 'good' reputation, friendship). The same case is for 'evil,' but more obviously. A bandit raids villages to gain monetary wealth - an 'evil' decision of self-gain, whereas a Hero might kill the bandits for their crimes gaining many things in the process, whether that be the bandit's loot, a bounty, or the reputation that comes with it - a 'good' decision of self-gain. This is just how people work. Evil is an easier path to tangible gain, whereas good is harder - but far more rewarding. Personally, I believe in a moral code a difference between right and wrong - but never would I dare to have the hubris to claim to be a 'good' person, especially in comparison to those who have just made worse decisions. This would all be moot if I meat an angel, a spirit of pure light, a deity above that shines true good on mortal-kind, but there is no such spirit, no gods above, no higher power to look up to...there is only beings of shadow in this world, only darkness and chaos...I pray for a world where mortal-kind has more to look to than demons and false-righteous men."
Mahto Snowbringer:
Commodore of Haven's Royal Navy
Commandant of Haven's Marine Force
Leader of The Savage Phoenix Tribe and their village of Dar’dakous
Captain of "The Chimera"

“Fortune Favors the Brave."
GM-August
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-August »

Congratulations AURORA!
  • the Winner for the Final Haven Raffle Mar. 18th - Mar. 24th!
With over 15 participants, AURORA has won 25 RP!
This past week had some amazing responses from the community, love 'em! Keep 'em coming!

(I just noticed I had not replied to this question, sorry!)