GM/STAFF feedback

Blah, blah, blah.

Moderator: Admin

Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

GM/STAFF feedback

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

I have to say I have always been interested in hearing the GM/staff feedback on each event.
how they felt the game went...
what they liked seeing the players do or not do....
what they felt we the players needed to work on...

Am I the only one?
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
GM-Amanda
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GM/STAFF feedback

Post by GM-Amanda »

Not even remotely.

Especially when I don't notice if I commit PC dumb. I noticed this event :P
You are what you dare.

RESEACRH
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

if it makes ya feel better we all always notice when ya do it.....

:twisted:
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
GM-Amanda
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Amanda »

Cause it only happens every other year, unlike certain dwarves I could mention... :twisted:
You are what you dare.

RESEACRH
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

one drink...ONE STINKN DRINK....ok it was three...but still...
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Nick
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Nick »

After we get a few more submissions I'll post some feedback.
"Seek the truth. Behold the truth. Reveal the truth. That is the law and the whole of the law."
-Pious Flea, Legion/Dani
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

First of all, I had a fantastic time at the event. Although I was exhausted when it ended, I did not feel tired until we finally stopped moving late Saturday night, unlike last year when I routinely felt exhausted by the time plots got rolling on Saturday morning, if not earlier. That of course is credited to the larger staff, all of whom made my event for me, so thank you!

That said, I would rate the event a tick or two above average, good but not great. Things did not flow real well from my perspective, and although we reduced our stats for the number of NPCs, I'm not sure we reduced enough. I also think that we could have utilized our large numbers better. with more wandering monsters--we did some on Friday but I'm not sure we did any on Saturday. Last criticism on our part is the event was overstuffed and so not enough attention could be paid to all the threads we were trying to weave together.

I was happy with how we thought on our feet--there were quite a few curve balls thrown at us that I thought we handled well and creatively. We also adjusted story on the fly in such a way that was needed but yet went unnoticed, so that was a good thing in my opinion. I'm also glad that two PCs could not walk into a bandit camp and take them out themselves but collectively you guys were able to prevail--in that way the danger level felt about right, except for the golden horn cave, which I agree may have been on the hard side :)

The PCs were great, lots of good role playing throughout, I thought. If you lacked anything, it would be what I refer to as plot movers. Part of the difficulty getting the threads all moving was a higher number than normal threads that stopped before completion. That may be the presentation on our part (likely a big part of it), a reaction to the higher danger level, being overwhelmed by the number of threads, a general lack of organization, or some combination of all of those.

So all in all I had a great time, many positives, a few negatives, but I'm definitely looking forward to the next one. Hope to see more player feedback as well!
Nick
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Nick »

I had a superb event as an NPC. My biggest regret was being asleep for certain moments, but it was over Lent and I gave up the massive amounts of caffeine I usually consume for the time period. Next event I'll probably be up for far, far more :twisted: .

For the negatives I echo Ovak's words regarding the sheer number of threads and hooks that went in. There were some completed, but several more left open. Not that we can't adapt for such, but there may have definitely been an overload of avenues for the PC's to travel. With a bit of time before the next event and a good amount of coordination I'm sure we can work to whittle things down to perhaps more manageable levels for everyone. Or the PC's will continue to impress and step up to the more-than-average workload. Both would be awesome.

There were a few issues regarding charging and general combat. After having asked several PC's it is true, the "Stun" call could have been handled differently. We will be sure to implement better means of announcing special calls for events. With luck we won't have any repeats. As far as charging and rough swings went yes, they did occur, and we apologize for such. We'll take better care with training our NPC staff in regards to safe combat. Simultaneously I'd ask the PC base to be mindful of the same. If we all fight safely we'll have little to nothing to worry about.

Communication was impressive given our high numbers of NPC's. And I was very impressed with the tenacity our NPC's took to the roles we gave them. I'll reiterate a bit more work on safe combat, and perhaps a bit more explaining of the duties of NPC's. The differences between PC and NPC can be blurred, and we'll make sure we help people differentiate between the two a little bit better. There was also the issue brought up of confusion regarding blows during the cave crawl. We apologize for the confusion. It was not our intent for such, and we will strive to make sure our NPC's and staff are as well-informed as possible about the plots at hand.

I echo Ovak once more regarding the PC's. Given everything we threw at you, you out-performed and then some. Even in the most terrible faces of adversity you stood up and took them head on. I tip my hat to all of you for maintaining IC reactions, relations etc. and limiting OOC chatting and "potato" moments. For a great event, I thank you all.

A great time indeed. Navin Free gives everyone his signature thumbs up!
"Seek the truth. Behold the truth. Reveal the truth. That is the law and the whole of the law."
-Pious Flea, Legion/Dani
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

wait..uhm....i think I did not well communicate my intent with this post. Mike, itf for GMs everyone likes...so Nick :morning: is ok, as is Brad :shocked!: and even Taki :evilbat: and Jarod :turn-l: and even Phil :drinking: ...but...uhm...yeah...about your post ....how shall I say this.... :eating:

:twisted:
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

Yes, I would love to hear from the staff in a way that is more than telling us to simply "be more proactive", as is sometimes the knee-kerk reaction. We really like to hear what things went well for the Staff, because then we as players can reinforce such behavior.
-Evil always prevails when good people do nothing.

-All knight, every night.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

please make sure to train Mike on his rules. :)
Travis Cole
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

CJ, are you saying that's what Nick's and my feedback was? I don't read what either of us said that way and I retread just to make sure. I apologize if it came off that way. If anything, I said the players need to be more frequently reactive though I would never discourage being proactive :)

Anyway, like I said, I thought the players were great and that most of the issues were on us.

And Travis, shut it! :)

Mike
GM-Brad
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Brad »

I will echo Mike and Nick. I really enjoyed having the larger NPC staff, and the ability to catch my breath for once. I feel like our flow was a little off, though, perhaps partially due to organizing a larger staff –which is new for us- and partially due to some curveballs thrown at us by players (which is not a bad thing). But, I had fun. There were some great PC roleplaying moments I witnessed, which I won’t spoil here, but it reminded me that perhaps we could post roleplaying awards online, as we once did, for public recognition. Something maybe I’ll bug Jared or Phil about. Or, we could have a regular thread where PCs briefly mention their favorite roleplaying moments of an event, etc., for others to read.
GM-Amanda
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Amanda »

Nah, Mike, that's just something we like to say as GMs at Winter Haven :P
You are what you dare.

RESEACRH
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Brad

hhhmmm...brad...brad...i dont recall a brad that shows up on the forum here. Ar you a NEW player sir?
:P

There were some great PC roleplaying moments I witnessed, which I won’t spoil here, but it reminded me that perhaps we could post roleplaying awards online, as we once did, for public recognition.

If I recall correctly, were there not votes on handing out HERO POINTs for such? In fact I dont racall any such awards for anything recently...unless you just keep it a secret from me under orders form that hairless rang a tang that calls its self Mike...
Sir Kaylan Chargeender