Final Haven changes for 2014

Blah, blah, blah.

Moderator: Admin

GM-Mike
GM

Final Haven changes for 2014

Post by GM-Mike »

News of our demise has been greatly exaggerated...

Yes, a rumor made it back to me that Final Haven will not be running any events this year. I quickly asked around to see if that were true, as I had already sunk a bit of change into reserving sites for this year's events. Fortunately, no one I asked knew anything of us not running this year either so I assume we're still on!

There will however be some changes. After surviving, by my count, forty-three apocalypses over the past fourteen years (and that doesn't even count the Joining), it's time for the fine citizens of Haven to have a break. We will be fast forwarding the game five years following the one day event. We plan on using the one day event to give the Master stuff a little bit more of a satisfying conclusion (yeah we weren't thrilled with it either) without undermining anything that had happened up to this point, and without backtracking in any way. We then plan to never use the words master, red, or tear in the future, which may prove difficult but we will see how it goes. Our other goal of the one day will be to effectively write out Korrigan, as Taki will be joining our staff for this upcoming season.

Following the one day, Haven will then enjoy a period of prosperity and growth. This will involve significant, yet to be disclosed changes to the economic system and related disciplines. One change I will disclose is that during a time of prosperity, resources are more abundant and thus starvation much less common. We will therefore be removing starvation and the fight for survival from the game (you're welcome, Josh). This is not to say that resources are going away, only the idea that there isn't enough to go around. This will be replaced in some form with different ways/things to spend money on. Our goal is to make a simple and accessible system that also doesn't cause Jared to lose any more beauty sleep. He simply can't afford it.

What you will want to do is advance your character's story. Does your character own land (or a ship)? Are there new people they have met? Are their goals altered in some way? If you submit it to us, we will integrate it into the story and approve what you have with or without modifications, depending upon how crazy you get.

Why are we doing this? Because at some point, peace has to win, at least for awhile. It also provides a clean break, allowing us to create new characters, new story lines, new everything.

Uh, but what about my character who also plays over at winter haven? We're working on that. The two chapters talk. No really.

What if I'm the queen? Shouldn't I have some say about what it looks like in five years? Yeah probably, we'll talk at the one day :P

What if I was trying to assassinate the queen in a carefully staged four year plan? Make it a five year plan and skip to the end.

Do I get five years worth of character points to spend? No.

Why? Because.

Because why? Because I said so.

Would you reconsider? Well I would have, but then you started nagging. Now it's definitely a no!

Any other questions/comments/concerns?
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Re: Final Haven changes for 2014

Post by Ark »

Ovak Stonecrusher wrote: We will therefore be removing starvation and the fight for survival from the game (you're welcome, Josh)
:D happy to be of help. . .now about a few other things (rogue included!) ^_^
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

soooo .....what if we apologise for the nagging? I will EVEN be nice to Ark...if i have to...well for a while anyhow...
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

ok...now for the serious stuff:
1) is there a submission deadline?

2) Is there just gonna be a mad grab, or will Korrigans riches be evenly divided among us surviving vultures? :mrgreen:

3) Would suggestions we have for changes due to the changes, be welcomed if included in these submitions?

4) Ok...back to you reconsidering....
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

I think a submission deadline is a good idea, say, two weeks before the first full event of the year. Suggestions will be welcome, yes. My plan is to fast forward the game on line, giving updates in the in game forums as to the happenings around Haven. The closer we get to the present in that story, the more set things are going to be, so you might want to get some of those suggestions in earlier than the submission deadline.

As for Korrigan's loot, I guess it depends on what happens to him at this upcoming event...
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

Well, I am glad that we will have some sort of input as to what our characters will have accomplished over the five year span. Some of us have spent several years TRYING very hard despite our shortcomings to integrate ourselves positively into the Haven setting and NPC populace, with largely no avail. Wrapping our minds around such a large change is daunting. I won't even try to dance around the subject and say that involves both myself and Dani's characters.

That would go double for me as I am trying to accomplish many of the same things at both chapters simultaneously with the same character.

If my two cents matters, I really think the five-year span is too large a jump. Considering the leaps we have made in solidifying Haven's position in the aftermath of the Cataclysm, defeating the Red Tear and the Master issue, there would be a huge amount of potential things that would be possible for our characters to do with just a year of solid peace and prosperity that would also not turn our character's backstories and driving beliefs on their ear. Suddenly the young (or just newly minted to a chosen calling) character who was trying to find a place in the world suddenly has to be brought into the mindset that they are now an old campaigner in that field. I know my character has seen some pretty large character growth in the two years I have been playing him, let alone another two and a half times that suddenly being tacked on.

I mean, my other character Garritt altered surprisingly over four years of playing him at Winter Haven, and what made the journey fun was because of the things that I had to face and adjust to in-game, rather than anything I simply wrote down that he had done. Because anyone can accomplish anything in their own heads.
-Evil always prevails when good people do nothing.

-All knight, every night.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

I hear what you are saying, and we knew that some people would feel that way. We really just wanted to advance the game economically, let peace have its time, and have a clean break where we can tell new stories. We were getting tired of the old.

We will certainly consider a shorter time jump, five years just seemed like a good round number. Don't feel pressure to complete your character's progression, just advance it. Whatever you write and submit WILL impact the game and WILL impact your character's experience. We will use what you write and incorporate personal stories into Final Haven, something we have gotten away from, something we used to do a lot more of. I want the game to shift from global apocalyptic to personal interest, without losing the "action," so to speak. I think ultimately people will enjoy the shift in their character stories, even if it makes you uneasy at the beginning, or at least that's my hope. Definitely keep airing concerns. We want the game to be the best possible experience for everyone.

Mike
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

just to comment, I understand and like the idea of a 5 year jump. a lot has happened, and I like the idea that peace will have settled and anything that does happen will be new and unexpected, instead of the norm of something apocalyptic is happening in haven, again, again, again (poor fishing village btw)

how can haven tell if its drunk if its never sober?

no discounting anyone's opinion, just sharing my own.
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

wait...Haven got drunk and I missed it or was I just so drunk with everyone else I forgot?
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

Kaylan Chargeender wrote:wait...Haven got drunk and I missed it or was I just so drunk with everyone else I forgot?
you have always been drunk, that's why you cannot tell that your drunk, it makes sense if you don't think about it :)
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

...look at all the pretty colors.....
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Torakhan »

So, FH is jumping ahead 5 years, and everyone will be assumed to be somehow upkept to basic upkeep each event... unless otherwise cursed, or the likes I assume.

Are those the only changes coming in 2014? Are there any other new playtest/rules changes?
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Anything that is impacted by that changed will be updated. This included the economic system and then disciplines that modify the economic system. There may be some small changes, but otherwise no, nothing else that I'm aware of at this moment in time.
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

i would like talk about the upcoming and inevitable magocracy.
"I would only teach them Necromancy as part of a balanced breakfast."
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Sorry Travis, I already submited my update where Kalen destroys all magic by rubbing two roks together very very fast .... snooze ya loze...
Sir Kaylan Chargeender