Would anyone be interested in this?

Blah, blah, blah.

Moderator: Admin

Kayla
Site Admin
Site Admin

Would anyone be interested in this?

Post by Kayla »

Okay, well, to start. I'm a web developer. I've been designing and coding websites since I was 10.

I've had a project that never really started, but I'd like to finish - an online FH character sheet generator and manager.

I have some of it coded already, but what it is is a secure user based system where you have an account and you can create as many sheets as you want and export them in PDF format. The sheets are created through a 'wizard' (i.e. step by step) and can be modified the same way.

I always have a problem with misplacing D&D sheets, and one day when I lost a character sheet I decided that I needed an organizer of sorts.

Anyways, if anyone is interested I could easily have this running before the event this month.
GM-Amanda
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Amanda »

I don't think I can say "HELL YES" emphatically enough.
You are what you dare.

RESEACRH
NPC Christen
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NPC Christen »

*chuckle* What is it they say about brilliant minds thinking alike?

Jared, one of the GM's, has been working on a program for on line character sheets, as well as complete on line racking and editing. With some work, we're hoping to get it integrated with the new Jumla site I'm working on getting up and running for us.

So... more minds are better, almost always.

What do you write in? Perhaps you can divide and conquer?
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

online access to our characters that give new players help in making thier first PC and let current players track levels and skill points and keep organised?!?!?!?!?!
OUTRAGOUS....I will not play a game with such convenience and forward thinking...I demand we usewax tablets as PC sheets and use an abacus while blindfolded for all logistical calculations or I QUIT!
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

i write my character information in pieces of toast, that way i can eat it if something goes wrong. . .tastes funny though.
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Kayla
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kayla »

NPC Christen wrote:*chuckle* What is it they say about brilliant minds thinking alike?

Jared, one of the GM's, has been working on a program for on line character sheets, as well as complete on line racking and editing. With some work, we're hoping to get it integrated with the new Jumla site I'm working on getting up and running for us.

So... more minds are better, almost always.

What do you write in? Perhaps you can divide and conquer?
I'm coding in PHP... I worked a little bit last night - all I've really got left to do is read the rule book for all the point costs and do calculations for that.

Everything else is set up. As for joomla integration, I have some experience writing joomla plugins - maybe I could help with integration.
GM-Taki
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Taki »

Kiyran, I think your best bet is to bring something to the table and let the community see what you can do. There have been numerous proposals for some sort of online character system / database over the years, but as yet nothing has come to fruition. If you make something available, I'm sure out other programmers can get on board and we'll all work together to improve and refine it.

Kudos to you for the initiative, by the way. You're coming out of the gate strong.
GM-Taki - Final Haven GM, Winter Haven GM, Editor of the Rulebook Project.
Kayla
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kayla »

It's (mostly) done!

I'm ready for the first 'launch' today, because I'm sure people will find a few bugs.

Right now, the current to do list is finishing Wizard and Arcanist (Neither are working correctly), Making the "Edit" function work with the Jack of All Trades path, and high-level specialties, perks, and swap-out skills.

Eventually there will be a feature to keep track of properties, land, items, money, etc.

In the mean time (while I code that ^ stuff), I'd like people to build a character and export it to PDF, edit it, do whatever. It all _should_ work correctly, and I've tested most of it.

Also, anything that is unclear please post - I'd like to make this as user friendly as possible.

The website is http://apps.keatondm.com/fhcs/

Registration is required because the sheets you build (no limit) are linked exclusively to your account. No email confirmation, and your password is encrypted in a database. I won't sell/use your information.
Smitty19
GM

Post by Smitty19 »

First things I see...

No place/option for half breed races, kinda would be nice to be able to flesh out the character.

Secondly, there are no ways to buy skills outside of those from Disciplines, so that needs to be remedied. Other than that, it is a easy use, and just could use some window dressing.

I also think that the progression for LP and whatnot is not calculating correctly.

***Noticed as well when I go back into edit, my sheet does not save correctly, as it defaults all my disiplines back to Barbarian, it also does not leave any left over points to be spent**

Just wanted to let you know. Good start, just some tweaks..
Last edited by Smitty19 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Serith Darkheart

"I dont make Threats....Only Promises"
Kayla
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kayla »

Smitty19 wrote:First things I see...

No place/option for half breed races, kinda would be nice to be able to flesh out the character.
Do we have half-breed races? I have no idea what those are, but they would be easy to add.
Smitty19 wrote: Secondly, there are no ways to buy skills outside of those from Disciplines, so that needs to be remedied.

High priority on the todo list :)
Smitty19 wrote: I also think that the progression for LP and whatnot is not calculating correctly.
I may have an old version of the rulebook, but from what I can see all the races give 1 LP - correct? Then it adds Privileged/Common/Savage so 1/2/3. Vigor points, etc are going to come a little later.

Actually, I may remove that LP calculation all together if I don't get vigor etc working in a timely manner.

As for remaining points, the form is designed to be filled from the top down, left to right. Points are calculated in a waterfall fashion, where you type a level (i.e. 20 gives you 335 to spend) then you pick a path and a path level (Master Warrior = 150), then keep going down.

That's something I'll work on, too though.
Smitty19
GM

Post by Smitty19 »

Yeah pretty much any race can be hybrid, I myself am a Half-Elf, but there is no real mechanical benefit, just a fluffy aspect is all.

The base LP is correct, but none of the level based advancements, or anything else is calculated in. It is a simple enough calculation that if you dropped it, it wouldnt deter much from it, but making it work would just be another bell and whistle that will be cool as a finished polished product
Serith Darkheart

Kayla
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kayla »

Smitty19 wrote:Yeah pretty much any race can be hybrid, I myself am a Half-Elf, but there is no real mechanical benefit, just a fluffy aspect is all.

The base LP is correct, but none of the level based advancements, or anything else is calculated in. It is a simple enough calculation that if you dropped it, it wouldnt deter much from it, but making it work would just be another bell and whistle that will be cool as a finished polished product
I can make half-races work. Is it possible to be a third something? And if you're half-elf, can you still access the elf racial discipline? So I could access GaVin and Elf if I was half of each?

I had forgotten about the heroes and villians expansion LP bonuses. Let me add those.

Also, I just found a bug. Need to fix editing...
Smitty19
GM

Post by Smitty19 »

No you have to be full race to gain the racial disciplines... And as far as I know it can really only be 2, half breed as it were, and as I said, there is no "Mechanical Benefit" it used to be you chose which Racial Boon (Now essence boons) and whatever one you had is which ever race you resembled more.
Serith Darkheart

cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

We don't use support points anymore. we use coin caluclated by level.
Travis Cole
GM-Taki
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Taki »

For the record, this has now come further than any other similar project I've seen. Well done Keaton!

We've got some tweaking to do, but the basics are there. Provided you can build from this and integrate the a la carte skill purchasing from other paths and the Heroes & Villians rules (Skill Swapping, Perks, etc.) you're right on target. We can worry about making it look spiffy later, right now let's get it functional and go from there. :)
GM-Taki - Final Haven GM, Winter Haven GM, Editor of the Rulebook Project.