Plants and Herbs

Blah, blah, blah.

Moderator: Admin

GM_Chris
GM

Plants and Herbs

Post by GM_Chris »

I want to not only continue, but expand the herb idea. What I want to do is put a bit of RP coolness behind everything so what I need is a list of plants/herbs and such and what potion type you think it could be turned into.

Rules
1 herb per potion...no mixing...yet
Names can be fictional. If fictional it be cool if you wrote a short (1-4 sentence) describing what it looks like. You can even write up some history.

Thanks!
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

For example:

Garlic: Creates a Cleanse
Belladonna: Heal 3 or Cure poison
Night Shade: poison/sleep

Looking for more :)

The more I think about this the more I am convinced that a person should have a certain amount of potion levels (I use the term loosely) to create potions from herbs

Levels:
Basic: 1
Advanced: 2
Master: 3

For example:
Garlic: Must have 3 levels
Belladonna: Must have 5 levels
Night Shade: Must have 10 levels

Also there needs to be a rule for how many potions you create when you find an herb flag. I am torn between it being random or random with an increased chance based on your potion knowledge

Thoughts?
Chris
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

is this in theory a design for FH?

because i have already expressed my loathing of this kind of idea for FH, i supose if it does get implimented i can just not play alchemist, but all the same
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I am not changing 1 thing stated in the book nor do I have any future plans to change the current FH book.

I do have plans to add herbs, plants and such. I guess I could call them magical items. Would that make you hate it less or are you stating your absolute loathing for any type of cool exploration type of thing that adds RP goodness to the system?
Chris
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

Easy-just use the herbs that already existed as Phanterran plants. They were in the ingredients listed for each potion, but got deleted from the new Alchemy rules, just put them back in.....

Nearly all of the potted herbs in my beastman Rhul's indoor garden- (which later was gifted to be part of Fionna's Alchemy Lab) bear little wooden signs I made that indicate which actual in-game herb they represent taken from those.

Part of the "Ingredient Times' for gathering all the herbs for each potion when Fionna and Serith made potions came from a visit to her 'indoor herb garden". They both said it added to the roleplaying of Alchemy, although several people bitched (like always) that having an indoor garden was "unfair" because they could just go there instead of the woods- Rhul, Serith and Fionna called it "forethought", and what the table "didn't have" had to be "found" in the woods.

For example, a 'Cure Wounds' potion took:
=Mix Time(in front of the lab): 10 minutes
=Ingredient Time(searching):5 minutes
=Brew Time: each LP cured x 6 hours

Needed:
-Arrow Root
-Paprikat
-Skowron
-1 magic component for each LP past "2".

Other examples of actual In-game 'Herbs" from Fionna's old book, besides the many that are "Earth normal", like Dandelion root or Granite powder:
-Arrow Root
-Paprikat
-Skowron
-Tonabe
-Death Lily
-Reneau
-Grave Dirt
-Flint
-Philiaghast pod
-Wolves Bane
-Veiled Moon
-Gorba Root
-Wizard Weed
-Red Lime
-Gunnweed
-Vartilion
-Borlin Root
-Dung Root
-Pixie Moss
-Gnat's Wings (a seed)
-Gurglgrut Vine
-Fang Root
-Iron Bark

They never had tags, they were just information to be a basis for roleplaying scenes.
-Evil always prevails when good people do nothing.

-All knight, every night.
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

GM_Chris wrote:I am not changing 1 thing stated in the book nor do I have any future plans to change the current FH book.

I do have plans to add herbs, plants and such. I guess I could call them magical items. Would that make you hate it less or are you stating your absolute loathing for any type of cool exploration type of thing that adds RP goodness to the system?
well way to throw the baby out with the bathwater, just because i dont like a herb system does not mean i dont like RP, me and my brother are constantly trying to figure out simple ways to make our standard NPC vs PC brawls more fun. rather than all the suicidal monsters that fight furiously to the last man that we deal with now.

1st) is this herb system its own thing out in the world that alchemists can choose to partake in to get BONUS potions and is in no way tied into thier normal means of producing potions.

2nd) some positive feedback (i supose) 1 herb tag can create one potion tag, the herb tag ONLY has the name of the herb on it. the Alchemist takes the herb to NPC camp and tries to figure out what he can make from it.

say you have a Garlic tag:
level 1 alchemist can make a cleanse out of it

say you have a Nightshade tag:
level 4 alchemist can make a PoV out of it

If a level 3 alchemist brings Nightshade to NPC camp they are told that the dont know what to do with it to make a potion out of it, at that point they can either discard it, or find a high level alchemist to give the herb too.
Alchemists can right down in a book what herbs make what potions for future refrence, or not, up to them. a cap can be put on the levels of bonus potions you can make.
4 level 1s
3 level 2s
2 level 4s
etc.

I prefer at least the idea that only high level alchemists know what herb can be turned into what, instead of giving that information out on the herb tag.
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Wait - are you suggesting required role play stuff or are you suggesting the tag will be required to make potions?
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

I believe what Chris is contemplating is an addition to the current Alchemy system. Alchemy would work just like it does now - but you would then also have the possibility of finding "Herbs" in-game that then also allow you to make additional potions based on what "Herbs" you find.

Each "Herb" would be able to make s certain type/types of potion(s) but you may need to have a certain number of Alchemy levels based on your current skills to be able to utilize an "Herb".

Does that summarize it Chris?
Hi.. I'm Aidan!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

That's correct. I also won't have this done until probably Monday night as I am super busy. Once done I will post to the GM board for approval and stuff.
Chris
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

I dislike because I'm not sure how you would make it fair.

Recall Ug's Fuzzy Bunny. Big spell. Required a Fire Element as a component. As a GM, how do you decide which person gets a fire element and which person/people don't?

If Super Herb is required for the Super Potion and Billy has been role playing foraging for it for the last 7 hours in game VS Bobby, who was the 1st person that event to walk up to NPC camp and say, "Hey, I'm looking for Super Herb,"...

You're going to want to limit how many Super Herbs are in game, to limit the super potions, otherwise alchemy will get waaaaay out of hand again. So, how do you decide who gets to have super potions and who doesn't?

I'm just very concerned how you're going to be able to monitor keeping if fair and making sure it never looks like one person is getting special treatment over another person.

Just seems your setting yourself up for a very sticky situation.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

its actually easy to keep fair. The Gms DONT chose, the players do....by going out and actually finding the tagged items placed by whatever staff member the GMs hand them to to randomly "hide" them in the woods. Print only one set per game or game year depending on how many of what the GMs want in circulation and thats it.

works just like the very succesful component systems of several other larger and more detailed LARPs use.

I will have examples to supply at the event.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

What Brian said plus there are no super potions. Most likely there won't be any herbs that allow you to create a potion that is not in the book.

I will be getting some orange flags, the kind you mark stuff with, and will put a name or number on the flag. These flags, as Brian said, will be hidden around the camp. I am actually going to write up areas where certain herbs should be hidden. For example, lets say garlic is found in open spaces. This means the garlic labeled flag is placed by some GM/NPC in an open area. When a PC finds the flag they simply pick the flag up and bring it to NPC camp who then gives the player an herb tag. The herb tag will then have instructions on how to turn it into (in this case) 1 cleanse potion. Why a cleanse potion? Because its Garlic and its smelly. :)
Chris
Shea Stonebrook
Town Member
Town Member
Location: On the way back to Woodhold from traveling with Connor (my husband)

Post by Shea Stonebrook »

if you found herb (garlic) would you be able to use the bulb to grow MORE? if so how much more would you yeld by taking care of this plant?

Say 10 plants with one bulb, then because you've cultivated these plants...10 new bulbs next season you'd have enough garlic for 10 potions. (OR 100 plants. Honestly THAT is where it could get Crazy, but thought I'd ask)
Shea Stonebrook

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

she has a good point, if someone had though of that before we used or sold em all this last weekend AND the GMs allowed that it could get crazy. I do however have an idea on how to make that work though. Will submit to GMs once I flesh it out
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"