FH Art

Blah, blah, blah.

Moderator: Admin

Eilonwy
Town Member
Town Member

FH Art

Post by Eilonwy »

The 1st drafts of some rulebook art are up on Deviant. Would love to do some better versions. So any feedback would be most welcome. And if the GM's would rather these not be posted, I'll take them down ASAP.
http://asuradeva.deviantart.com/

Warning: the warrior looks very '80's fantasy and the rogue is.. eh (in Scraps). Yes, the healer is a dwarf and the empath looks like a Valkyn'Vi with way too much body-painting time on their hands. As for the sage... *shrug*
E. E. Nightshade of Clan Campbell
Lady
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lady »

You are so good at your work! the warrior is my favorit.
I too shall lie in the dust when I am dead, but now let me win noble renown.
-Homer,
Greek (800 BC - 700 BC)
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Re: FH Art

Post by Torakhan »

Eilonwy wrote:The 1st drafts of some rulebook art are up on Deviant. Would love to do some better versions. So any feedback would be most welcome. And if the GM's would rather these not be posted, I'll take them down ASAP.
Somewhere around here I've got some sketches I started too... I just haven't been able to get my act into gear and finish them either. Maybe we should all have an Art-Party, get those of us who draw together and spend a night just chugging away and get a bunch of art done for the book?

(By the way... Just fair warning that you may not like what's in the directory, so don't go exploring unless you're really prepared.)

Tsunotaur (Approved by Todd)
http://www.furnation.com/torakhan/main2 ... le-500.jpg

Dwarf Elf Orc and early version of Tsunotaur
http://www.furnation.com/torakhan/main2 ... hraces.jpg

Orc Human Valkyn'Vi Avyana Dwarf?
http://www.furnation.com/torakhan/main2 ... hraces.jpg

Dwarf
http://www.furnation.com/torakhan/main2 ... _dwarf.jpg
http://www.furnation.com/torakhan/main2 ... _dwarf.jpg

Valkyn'Vi
http://www.furnation.com/torakhan/main2 ... 04_10i.jpg

Orc
http://www.furnation.com/torakhan/main2 ... 04_10g.jpg

Avyana
http://www.furnation.com/torakhan/main2 ... avyana.jpg

Ga'Vin
http://www.furnation.com/torakhan/main2 ... _gavin.jpg
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I love all of it!

The ga'vyn are sometimes mustaken for goblins because of some similarities in appearance. Infact when I saw some of the darker scarred up LOTR goblins/orcs it made me think of how I always pictured the ga'vyn.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Pics

Post by Torakhan »

Nice, dynamic poses and interaction with their environment.

I'm a little courious about the elf carrying an Orcish battle-axe though...

Would these be printed as-is, or would there be some clean-up or inking after this?
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
Slisk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Slisk »

I have some constructive criticism on the Deviant art.

Please don't take it the wrong way when I say:

WOW!!! :P
Eilonwy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eilonwy »

Art: I definitely want to clean these up and do better inking. Honestly I think the overall concepts need tweaking too (mine not yours). As for the "elf", she's actually a human of unknown dark-skinned race with a winged helm and huge battle ax. As I said, very 80's fantasy.

As for yours, the variety is awesome and your concepts are very well made. Always loved your style from the first. And unlike mine, your dwarves don't end up with an odd resemblance to Mario... heh.

Any suggestions on what to use for the inking/shading? I'm thinking I need to go back to brush and inkwell pen. These were done with a gel pen... :oops:

Thanks for the feedback all.
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

artwork

Post by Torakhan »

Eilonwy wrote: Art: I definitely want to clean these up and do better inking. Honestly I think the overall concepts need tweaking too
I want to get some final approval from the GMs and/or the people they've given the "control" to for the races and such. I did a couple of things before I got the Tsunotaurs approved. How big are Elve's ears? Do Dwarven women have facial hair? Do Avyana have beaks and feathers, or are they split into catagories like the Tsunotaurs? etc. etc.
I also like the idea of breaking the molds a bit (the warrior Avyana, the beaurocrat Tsunotaur, etc.), but I think that most probably need to stick to their typical/stereo-typical likenesses.
Eilonwy wrote: As for yours, the variety is awesome and your concepts are very well made. Always loved your style from the first. And unlike mine, your dwarves don't end up with an odd resemblance to Mario... heh.
Why, thank you. :D The idea of posting wasn't for an ego-stroke, but I enjoy it from time to time. XD I just wish my poses were more dynamic and less cookie-cutter. Oh, well. Maybe that will come from working with other people and getting ideas. As I'm drawing these, I'm also trying to figure how they'll look in the book... how much space we want the picture to take up, and if we want the text to wrap around the image, or just be a block on the side.[/quote]
Eilonwy wrote: Any suggestions on what to use for the inking/shading? I'm thinking I need to go back to brush and inkwell pen. These were done with a gel pen... :oops:
Well, I typically use Micron pens for a stark black/white. I have been known to break out the ink-brush for ink-washes. I'm no good at color, so it's nice that there isn't THAT pressure on this project for me.

Most of my works are scanned into the computer at 600dpi or better in full color, even if it's just black ink. I scan with a preset on my scanning program that I've adjusted for my typical use of pencil or ink and take it into Photoshop. From there I adjust the "Levels" (contrast adjustment and the likes) so that I have the sharpness I'm looking for with minimal "noise" in the background. I then go in and clean up around the image. That way there's no .001% gray or anything funky in the background when I .JPG or print it. I do this for most of my sketches even. Anything "finished" of mine looks better in a print or online than it does in person because I'm not a clean artist. My paper has indents, smudges and discolorations.

Hmmmm.. I'm still thinking we need to gather some folks together for an art-jam sometime.
Eilonwy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eilonwy »

You brought up some good questions here on racial characteristics, etc. So, to the GM's, is anything glaringly off racially (aside from a dwarf deigning to heal an elf... :wink: )? Would you rather see a different mix?
So far: Healer (male dwarf); Warrior (human female); Empath (male Valkyn'Vi); Sage (male; possibly an elf); Rogue (female human). Any scene requests?

And Art, you say you want more dynamic poses but at least you have a clean style. Mine still isn't developed after all this time. Thanks for the advice and I agree, an art-jam would be cool.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I already gave my comments on the Ga Vyn
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Draw!

Post by Torakhan »

Eilonwy wrote:...and I agree, an art-jam would be cool.
Where abouts do you live? Maybe meet up in GR or someplace at some retaurant and draw until they kick us out? *chuckle*

If you're ever around the Grand Haven area I've got a bunch of anatomy and "how to" books too. Justa thought as well. Will you be over here on the 30th for the Craic Wisely Weekend thing?
Shea Stonebrook
Town Member
Town Member
Location: On the way back to Woodhold from traveling with Connor (my husband)

Post by Shea Stonebrook »

I'm glad you posted this....this is Sweet stuff!!!

I really really like the Sage and the Healer....
Shea Stonebrook

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath.
Eilonwy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eilonwy »

Thanks.
:)
Btw, I'm in the GR area so I should be able to swing something sometime. Not sure yet what's going on around the 30th but I'll keep it in mind.
Laura
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Laura »

Art you know that i love your work...You need to post what you where working on last night I really liked that one!

Eilonwy: I had never seen yours until today And i love it too...My Fav is the Sage.....I like the fact that you have them doing hwat they do the best...I also like the Warrior...

I look foward to seeing whatelse you two and anyone else out there draw up!
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
~Henry David Thoreau~
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Dwarf and Elves and some Heyoomans

Post by Torakhan »

Laura wrote:Art you know that i love your work...You need to post what you where working on last night I really liked that one!
I think you're talking about the fire elf piccy?
Again.. still all just sketches.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
If folks would rather I not actually show the images here, feel free to tell me and I'll just have them be links and not images.