Regarding Lore and Wiki

Blah, blah, blah.

Moderator: Admin

GM_Chris
GM

Regarding Lore and Wiki

Post by GM_Chris »

In a chat I saw peole discussing Wiki and such. We do have a lore submission on the front page that is moderated and then put up for all to see.

Infact there may be alot out there that people are not even aware of. I encourage everyone to look at the lore that is currently available, and be assured we are working to get more on there all the time.

-Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Some stuff I found on Dwarves. There is a on out there.

During the age of myth the An’Dar’Vi delved ever deeper into their mountain fastness, gradually shrinking in stature, but growing ever stronger in their rage and hatred at being betrayed. When at last they emerged from the mountains again, they were no longer the An’Dar’Vi, having given up all traces of their former heritage. In the depths of the mountains they learned new secrets which left them as the Dwarves we know to this day.

The Gnomish people integrated slowly with both Elves and dwarves, trading between the two for no member of one would speak directly to another. It was some time during this period that the Fae migrated onward, silently and without warning.

As for the Elves, this was a time of growth and prosperity where many of the traditions and legends of the Elven people were formed. We learned law and justice, and the arts of poetry and debate first appeared in the literature of our people at this time. No longer did our race seek to copy texts out of the language of the forerunners. Instead we blossomed with creativity and delved the secrets of Phantera’s mysteries on our own terms.

It is important to realize when coming to know the nature of the Elves, and likely that of the Dwarves as well, that the trauma of our racial births have made us what we are. By knowing the legends we first created as people, you can see how we have become the races we are today.

Dwarven story of Maiden Morwannag’s Betrayal: A Dwarven Bedtime Story
The contest of the brothers was staged for the amusement of the Princess Morwannag, heir to a high elfin throne. Her name was given thus because she lived by a great sea. Her people, although they lived lower than Ga’Vin loved her for her beauty. Stories of the Lady’s beauty had traveled across the land, both near and far. Hers was the beauty of legend. Many warriors were beguiled into battle for the privilege of claiming her hand. She attracted not only Elves, but Dwarves, and small folk, and even a few of the ancient ones. Many battled and many were slain. Morwannag did not let her hand be won. Some she enchanted to die, some she cursed, and some were so overcome with her beauty that they lost their brain for battle.

Before our grandfather's grandfathers were bearded, two Dwarven brothers heard news of Morwannag and sought her hand. She would become the bride of both brothers, since they would easily overcome any opponents and they vowed to share her rather than fight each other. Their brotherhood was their bond. Not escapable.

“When we get there my brother, we will defeat any foe who vies with us for the Lady’s hand. Let no one stand in the gap between us.” Said Primus the Battleleader. Primus was firstborn to his mother. Primus had the responsibility to watch over his younger brother Secundus, even though they were forty years out of their mother’s womb. "“None shall win the heart of our prize if we have any say in the matter.”" He continued.

“Aye brother.” Secundus agreed with Primus. It was not his place to dispute his brother in any way. “Disputes are for enemies, not brothers,” their mother had taught them, “never fight amongst yourselves. Do not even disagree. It will bring down defeat upon us.”

The days of their journey passed in much the same fashion. Primus would make bold statements of the coming victory, and Secundus would agree. (Neither was simpleminded, for their mother had taught them as well as she could.) (Their fathers had both died in recent battles with the filthy Ga’Vin, and their mother refused to marry again.) Secundus was the more clever of the two, but Primus was the stronger. So Primus was able to lead by right of strength.

Finally they both arrived at the stronghold of the Lady Morwannag. There were dozens of warriors camped around the fortress, and many more arriving all the time. Primus told Secundus to go forth and demand to know where the contest was being held.

Secundus returned several hours later. “It is being held inside the fortress, brother. I was told that we need but to present ourselves to her household and we will be admitted. I have already done so. I presented myself on your behalf as well, brother. All we need do now is join the fray. You do not need to present yourself to her.”

Primus was angered by the words of his brother. “You have beheld her then? Without me by your side? Was she as beautiful as it has been told to us?”

“A kingdom may be won or lost for her hand.” Secundus spoke in answer, but did not see the rage rising in his brother’s eyes. He was too lost in the beauty of the Lady. “And I’ve scouted those who will vie against us for her hand. None can stand before your strength or my cunning.”

“Cunning?” Primus allowed the rage to engulf him. He had become jealous of his brother. This was the first time Secundus had achieved anything ahead of Primus. He had become enchanted by the lady’s beauty. “Cunning enough to win her for yourself?”

This broke the enchantment. “My brother, I vow that what we win, we will win together. We shall share in the victory. She is only a female. You are my brother. Nothing can break the blood bond that we share. I would not be a Dwarf if I allowed that to happen.”

“You vow?”

“I vow.”

“Let us go forth and win the lady.” Rejoined Primus, with his rage cooling.

The battle for the hand of the Lady Morwannag went as Primus had foreseen. None were able to stand against his strength during the fight. He slew many warriors that day and took an eye from every one that he defeated. Secundus too slew many, but he spared many more, for his heart had not been hardened by battle. (Secundus always let Primus fight his battles for him.) He also took fingers from his victories, rather than eyes. He reasoned that a defeated warrior would hold no grudge against him for a finger. They would be able to see well enough to go on being warriors. (Secundus did not know that a defeated enemy that is allowed to live becomes more dangerous. He did not know that a crushed spirit can sometimes take shape again.)

At the end of the day the trophies from all of the winners were counted by the lady herself. The two Dwarven brothers placed their trophies in front of the Lady.

“The total is 78 for Primus, son of Erlik, and 81 for Secundus son of Rolfe.”

“What does my lady mean?” asked Primus. “We do not understand such words. My kind is not taught these words you use.”

“What I mean to say it that Secundus has more trophies than you Primus. Do you understand now?” At this point you can begin to see that in spite of her beauty, Lady Morwannag did not have any honor within her. She was after all only an Elf.

“More?” cried Primus, “More than me?”

“Yes, more than you, and I have promised myself to only the greatest warrior. Are you saying that you are the better, despite your fewer trophies? I can see only one way to settle this problem. You will fight your brother, the winner to have my hand.”

Maiden Morwannag dismissed the host of warriors who had come to try for her hand. She made a declaration that she had found two warriors who were worthy of her. Her household began to busy itself with wedding preparations. Excitement filled the air.

The two brothers were led to a healing house to be mended of their wounds. While they had both fought bravely and well, they did not escape battle unscathed. It became clear to those in the healing house that the two were not happy about the outcome of their day’s contest, and they sent for the lady.

“My lady”, said Primus, “My brother and I have decided that we will not fight each other for your hand. We both made a vow to share all the spoils of our conquest equally. We will not fight each other for your hand.”

“You must. I cannot allow myself to be wed by two. You would tear me apart. One of you is sure to become jealous of the time the other spends with me. I have seen it happen before. Each begrudges the time that the other spends with me.” Replied the lady.

“We have made a vow to each other and to our father’s families. We will not break that vow over a woman. Primus has spoken and I have spoken.” said Secundus, “We will not fight each other for you.”

“Then you shall be put to death.”

“It is honorable to die in order to keep a vow. We are not afraid.” The brothers both placed their weapons on the ground at the lady’s feet. “We will not fight.”

“It is honorable to watch other warriors die?”

“Yes lady, it is.”

“Then for every day you refuse to fight each other, I will have one hundred of the warriors outside killed and roasted for my dogs. One hundred means more than you killed today.” The lady was fast becoming angry at the pride of the two brothers. “You will be responsible for many deaths.”

“My heart tells me that would not be so lady. They came here to die at the hands of others, so their deaths are well prepared for, I think.” Secundus intoned, “They came here ready to die. All will see that it is your hand, not ours that is delivering death unto them. Let your own people see what you are.”

“Let it be so.” And with that she ordered her guards to begin killing all of the warriors within the walls of the fortress. This slaughter went on for days. As the guards removed the dead, more came in to take their place, still hoping to vie for the lady’s hand.

For more than a week it continued. The two brothers watched in amusement and went so far as to place wagers on which single warrior would last the longest. Morwannag saw that her plan did not displease the Dwarves. In fact they were entertained by the battle. She was losing her patience. She also noticed that the number of warriors arriving to win her hand had begun to get smaller and smaller. She realized that stories of her actions were beginning to be told across the land. Finally the next week a captain of her guards announced that they had killed all of the warriors within the fortress walls.

“We have killed them all, my lady. What would you have us do now?” asked the captain.

“Stop the killing. Let it be known that the first warrior to come into my house will be my new husband. I cannot wait for those two Dwarves to make up their minds.” Morwannag replied.

“We have her now my brother. We may go and claim her.” said Primus.

“But she said that she would not marry both of us. She will have no part in this plan,” replied Secundus, “she is trying to tear us apart.”

“We will not let that happen, brother. We have both vowed to it. Here is what we shall do. You will go and claim her for your bride. You will tell her that I no longer want her hand. She will then marry you.” Primus said. “We can then take her home with us and start sharing her when we get there.”

“I don’t know if she’ll come with us or not. If not we can tell her that we’ll both leave and you’ll come back with your household. She will have to let you go.”

Primus thought it a very clever plan. He did not know that they were being watched by the servants of lady Morwannag.

“I think that she will at least let us leave together, if she beleives that one of us is no longer interested in her. I will do as you ask Primus.”

Secundus dressed again in his battle armor, and arranged his armaments in place. During this time the servants ran to Morwannag and reported what they had overheard.

“I think I shall make a plan of my own.” Morwannag laughed and told her servants what they must do.

“The Dwarven brother Secundus is here to claim your hand my lady.” A servant announced as the Dwarf entered the hall.

“Where is you brother? Did you break your vow of brotherhood? Has he gone home? Why do you come to me alone?” she asked.

“We have not broken our vow to each other. We decided that we would not fight for your hand, and we will not. He has decided that I am to have you. He was remembering our homeland and the many women who live their. Primus has many proposals of marriage, but held back until we both could be wed at the same time. I am here to claim your hand. We will then travel back to our homeland and be wed among my folk. Please prepare yourself for the journey.” Secundus turned and began walking to the door of the lady’s chamber.

“Hold Dwarf,” she cried out, “We have some things to say. First I will not leave my kingdom. Second, your brother will accompany us nowhere. He will be put to death for refusing my hand. Thirdly, I will not marry you unless you prove your love to me.” The lady began speaking in a quiet voice, “You will do these things for me because you love me.” As her hands moved she chanted in a strange tongue. Secundus felt himself unable to move or think as she wove her spell. She continued to speak for a few minutes and then woke him again.

“Have you understood what I have told you Dwarf?”

“I have, Princess Morwannag. I will go and get my brother.”

Secundus left the room and went directly to where his brother was waiting for him.

“It is done my brother. She has consented to be my bride. She does wish to see you first, to make sure you are not under the notion that we will ever share her.”

“You did a fine job convincing her then? Good. We will go and see her together. Bring me to her place.” Primus ordered his brother to lead him to Morwannag’s presence.

They walked as brothers to her hall.

“It is good that you have both come to me.” Morwannag said, upon seeing them enter. “Close the doors.”

Her servants closed and bolted the doors from the outside, leaving the lady alone with the Dwarven brothers. She looked at Secundus and said, “Are you ready to have me as your bride? Then fulfill your duty. Kill him.”

Secundus lunged at his brother. Primus was caught completely off guard by the blow. The stroke was deep into his chest, cutting through tunic and belt. He fell to his knees and vainly tried to hold his guts inside his body. Primus was dying fast.

“Why have you done this my brother?” he asked, “She turned you against me, your flesh and blood. I see it is so. Kill me now then brother, with the mercy stroke. But remember me after the enchantment leaves your mind.”

The lady responded with laughter. “Your brother is under my spell, now and always. You hope in vain, Primus. Secundus, let him lie there a while. I have never seen such a warrior beg for his own death. It interests me greatly.”

Secundus looked at her and then at his brother. He dropped the sword and stooped to look into his brother’s eyes, and if hearing the lady mention his brother’s death put it into his mind to do so. Primus looked back through the pain. There was pity in his own eyes for Secundus. Primus reached for his brother as if to embrace him one last time. They hugged each other for a moment.

“Stop this at once! Stop it and kill him you fool.” The lady cried, but it was already too late. As Secundus stood she noticed a dagger in his throat. His brother had killed him. Morwannag watched in horror as Secundus rushed her with his sword raised above his head. She had never seen anything so enraged. His rage drove him to her. He pierced her own black heart with his weapon and fell dead on the steps of her throne.

As she lay beside him, she heard Primus speak, “You are undone lady. Your spells cannot hold sway over my brother any longer. He told me so with his eyes. He asked me for this end. Your mistake was allowing him to look into my eyes. We were brothers. We are brothers. We will be brothers again in the Halls of the Grandfathers. We have earned our reward.” He slumped and said no more.

The lady lived on yet for many a year with half a heart. It is said that she never again knew the joy of life, honor, or victory. She still had her beauty, but as she ruled with half a heart, her kingdom fell to her malice. In the end it became a desolate place, deserted and despised.

This is why we hate all others that are not Dwarves.
This is why we will never hurt any Dwarf.
This is why we never break a vow.
This is why we die rather than be dishonored.
This is why we stay in our own kingdom.
This is why we are taught to be strong and clever.
This is why we speak only the truth.
This is why we are Dwarves!
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

And even better still, if you have a lore article, story, poem, etc that you would like to share you can add it to the wiki. It will appear in the lore archive after approved by a GM (To prevent Spam).
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

and to prevent crap