Things for the FAQ

Blah, blah, blah.

Moderator: Admin

GM_Chris
GM

Things for the FAQ

Post by GM_Chris »

I want to update the FAQ with things that won't go in the rule book.

Forexample..multiple characters will not go in the rule book, because that is a house rule and should really be up to whoever wishes to run a FH larp.

What other questions have you seen that you know the answer to that you think needs to go in the FAQ? Please post your question and/or questions with the answers here.

We will correct as Necessary.

Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

O O I have 1

Flee.....When you are fleeing you need to pick a direction and run your full time no using it as an invounerability while within combat.

Chris
Chris
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

....we interupt this program for A comment about the "multi-PC during one event" example....

If you intend to open other chapters, the "national"plot/rules panel should decide for all the chapters. If the "Ohio" chapter can have multiple PCs during and event, and the Mchigan chapter cannot, that leads to an unfair advantage to the "Ohio" PC base. It would give them access to more rescources, found or homegrown(crafted items).

Any and all rules/house rules should be system wide unless a chapter is playtesting a new rule on behalf of the national rules panel.

...and now back to your regularly shceduled program....

BG
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Well I was thinking that you put the base rules in the book, if later by some chance chapters open up then we can have a small suppliment we would give the chapter that would explain a host of things they would need to do to be complient.

Chris
Chris
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

...ah!...
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
Lao
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lao »

Frequently (or maybe not so frequently asked questions).

1. What is the difference in allegiance points between a common human and a privilaged human?

2. Are allegiance points gained after 20th level?

3. Why does a warrior have so few skills compared to the other disciplines?

4. What happens if you take 2 paths that have the same skills (example level 1 assassin & Level 2 spy with disguise...what about barbarian and warlord with harden skin)?

5. Why are skills roleplayable however you choose, but then described in the skill description as being a certain way? (Ex: Rage & Torture)

6. Why is the Fence path listed on the path chart but no description is listed anywhere for the skills?

7. Why arent there any examples of potions listed in the alchemy section for newbies to get an idea of what can be done with alchemy? (same would apply for Arcane spells).

8. It does not say anything regarding if you start with alchemy formulas, or arcane spells. Do players get some formulas/spells to start with if they have these paths? What happens to these formula/spells if they unlearn these paths later?

9. Where does the game take place? What sort of enviornment is the game played in (arctic, desert, temperate forest, plains, a series of islands). Some basic information about the area of the game world where the game is taking place would be very helpful in developing concepts for characters. I.e. It would be kinda silly to make a pirate character and then find out the game is based 400 miles from any large bodies of water.

10. Under utilize armor it lists that you get 1 harden skin point and some armor points. Under the harden skin skill it specifically stats that you get 2 harden skin that is modified by any percentage bonuses you get. Is the harden skin point from utilize armor modifiable by percentage bonuses also? (It does not say either way in the utilize armor description).

11. Charging powers: Can you charge more then one power at a time?

12. How long can you hold a charged power?

13. Can you have a charged power and still activate another power that takes a count to use?

14. What exactly can you take with you when you passwall as an assassin?

15. Why is touch of death called touch of death when you arent killing them? Shouldnt it be touch of sleep?

16. Why is the damage call for the stunstrike skill nerve pinch? It seems like this may cause some confusion between the actual nerve pinch skill and the stun strike skill.

I guess this is enough questions for now. I will post more as I come up with them.

Thanks,
Evan

WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Alendark wrote: 1)What is the difference in allegiance points between a common human and a privilaged human?
None
Alendark wrote: 2. Are allegiance points gained after 20th level?
Yes, each 20-level segment follows the same pattern
Alendark wrote: 3. Why does a warrior have so few skills compared to the other disciplines?
Its about quality not quantity
Alendark wrote: 4. What happens if you take 2 paths that have the same skills (example level 1 assassin & Level 2 spy with disguise...what about barbarian and warlord with harden skin)?
Any skill with a number attached would stack (ie Hardened Skin or Regeneration) but skills without (IE Disguise) have no additional effect
Alendark wrote: 5. Why are skills role playable however you choose, but then described in the skill description as being a certain way? (Ex: Rage & Torture)

They are meant to be examples only
Alendark wrote: 6. Why is the Fence path listed on the path chart but no description is listed anywhere for the skills?
It is no longer a playable discipline and should not be in the Discipline Chart
Alendark wrote: 7. Why arent there any examples of potions listed in the alchemy section for newbies to get an idea of what can be done with alchemy? (same would apply for Arcane spells).

They are/were in appendix 1
Alendark wrote: 8.1 It does not say anything regarding if you start with alchemy formulas, or arcane spells.
Correct
Alendark wrote: 8.2 Do players get some formulas/spells to start with if they have these paths?
I don’t know how this has been handled in the past. Chris?
Alendark wrote: 8.3 What happens to these formula/spells if they unlearn these paths later?

You retain the physical formulas if they are written down but you can no longer use them
Alendark wrote: 9. Where does the game take place? What sort of enviornment is the game played in (arctic, desert, temperate forest, plains, a series of islands). Some basic information about the area of the game world where the game is taking place would be very helpful in developing concepts for characters. I.e. It would be kinda silly to make a pirate character and then find out the game is based 400 miles from any large bodies of water.
The rulebook is meant to contain only mechanics and tidbits of role-playing guidelines. The setting is completely separate from the rulebook in order to make it more of a universal Fantasy LARP system. Extensive information about the Final Haven setting can be found at http://www.finalhavenlarp.com/lore/index.html
Alendark wrote: 10. Under utilize armor it lists that you get 1 harden skin point and some armor points. Under the harden skin skill it specifically stats that you get 2 harden skin that is modified by any percentage bonuses you get. Is the harden skin point from utilize armor modifiable by percentage bonuses also? (It does not say either way in the utilize armor description).
Chris, Todd?
Alendark wrote: 11. Charging powers: Can you charge more then one power at a time?
No
Alendark wrote: 12. How long can you hold a charged power?
Until used, hit, or no longer applicable (IE the target is killed or moves away)
Alendark wrote: 13. Can you have a charged power and still activate another power that takes a count to use?

No
Alendark wrote: 14. What exactly can you take with you when you passwall as an assassin?
As it is written now, anything other than Armour.
Alendark wrote: 15. Why is touch of death called touch of death when you arent killing them? Shouldnt it be touch of sleep?

Because it sounds more assassin like. Its all semantics
Alendark wrote: 16. Why is the damage call for the stunstrike skill nerve pinch? It seems like this may cause some confusion between the actual nerve pinch skill and the stun strike skill.
It is an effort to reduce the number of damage calls. Nerve Pinch and stunstrike end effects are identical the only difference is delivery. I guess we could consider changing the skill name from Nerve Pinch to something else to avoid confusion
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

10. percents are gone, thusly no need to mention them. This should be removed from the book.

16. nerve pinch - fist phys rep. stun strike - weapon butt. Delivery is diefferent. If someone pokes you in the side with a sword and calls nerve pinch, you don't need to fall. If you are hit in the back and hear nerve pinch and have no helmet you fall regardless. Only issue is a helmeted person with armor hit in the back armor, which is rare and can be solved by the struck person seeing what they were hit with.
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

Torture will be reworded... eventually.

Established characters who pick up either the Alchemy, or Arcane, disciplines must find potions/spells In Game.
New characters get a few potions/spells at check in.

other such nonsense later
Lao
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lao »

I have read through most of the Lore section and I dont see anything explaining where the game takes place. I see an entire section on the geography of silverthorn which is all dandy and cool, but really not very useful in developing a playable character.

Lets say for example that I want to play a pirate character (which is my current concept that im working with). If your game does not take place anywhere near a large body of water this would be a pretty stupid concept for a character.

So would it be possible to get a general idea of where the game takes place? I dont care about kingdoms, social structures or what not. Im talking about the actual terrain. Is the town in the middle of the woods, is it on an island, is it a town on a lake, an ocean, a stream. The lore page was helpful in answering some of these questions as I read about a swamp and a forest...so I know those are around. How about large bodies of water? What about ships...do they even exist still? Would something like a pirate be an invalid concept for the game due to geographical area and or technological level (if they cant make boats you cant really play a pirate)?

Thanks,
Evan
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

OOO thanks man for the list of questions VERY VERY cool! We need to update the faq with answers accordingly.

If you see something listed somewhere but ther eis no description I missed it in the update and it will be fixed in editing. This book as no further editing done to it..simply encorperated the rule updates.

As for why there is no description of location it is because no one has any real reference when the game started, BUT time has passed and we have met to update the surrounding area.

I can tell you though there is water, and I believe it is a large body of water near Final Haven. Sooo pirate away.

Chris
Chris
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

I will expand on the fact that I think I am capable of making almost all character concepts work. Now when I say concept I mean RP...dont come to me asking for some new mechanic for your character.

Forexample, if you came into town looking like a troll and wanted to RP a troll..well I would give you half orc race and you would pick your stuff as normal and I would expect you to Rp according to your concept.

So basically to sum up it can all work. :)

Chris
Chris
Lao
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lao »

I can understand that. My big concern is that I eventually want to be able to get a ship and actually do some water based stuff with trade routes and adventures and pirating type stuff. Now if you didnt have a large body of water sure I could play the boatless pirate who is tired of the pirating life or some such sillyness....but what I really want to do is play a true seafaring type pirate. That is why the geography of at least the immediate area becomes somewhat important.

It also helps to flesh out character backgrounds and write stories and such for characters. If say I wanted to play a whirling dervish, but we are 2000 miles from the nearest appropriate terrain (desert) then I would need to explain how I got to the game area. Or like an arctic barbarian or an eskimo type character. Again the RP can still be done but the backstory needs to be worked out in order for that RP to work really and having some general information on the area of the world the game takes place in is helpful.

I didnt really want to have to announce my character concept so blatantly which is why I tried asking quietly at first. Oh well, maybe I can figure out something else.

Thanks,
Evan
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

The whole concept of the game is the fact that it is post apoctaliptic. Almost the entire population of Phanterra was killed. Those who survived found a land completely changed from what they remember. No old maps are accurate. No one has made a new map because it has been too dangerous. On top of that, the land still seems to be shifting somewhat.

Those who survived the cataclysm have also been changed mentally. Some have been wandering around in a daze trying to remember their life before the cataclysm. Some feel an unexplainable draw to the area of Haven. Some forget what they do everyday and the only memories that seem real are from the time before the cataclysm. Mostly though, people just try to survive.

There isn't a lot of general knowledge of Phanterra after the cataclysm thats why it is not in the Lore section. A good bit of the game is meant to be finding this information out as your character. For the purposes of writing a character history, I am more than willing to work with anyone to make there history detailed. I suggest a few steps:

1) What did your character do before the cataclysm and where did he do it? (See Geography and "The Fall of the Kingdom of Silverthorne")
2) How did your character survive the cataclysm?
3) Do you remember your life before the cataclysm?
4) How has the cataclysm changed your character? (This is a good place to add in quirks)

I am glad you have brought up these questions. I think a guide to writting a character history is needed in the FAQ or Book. Any more points to add or questions? If anyone has specific character history questions, PM me
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Lao
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lao »

I can totally understand where that is coming from I guess I was looking more for something along the lines of.

While the world is a post apocolyptic world and people are walking around in a daze etc etc etc...The game itself takes place in the town of Haven. Haven is a town that is only loosely aligned under the common goal of survival within this post apocolyptic land. The town of haven is set with the land that was rent from a forest and as such has a large number of trees, flora and fauna around it. To the north one can find a large swamp that is mostly unexplored and very dangerous and about a days journey to the south is a large body of water that may have at one time been an ocean or sea. The rest of the area around Haven is largely unexplored but a mountain range can be seen rising from the skyline off to the east of town.

This right here tells me pretty much what im looking to find out while at the same time not really revealing anything about the history of the location pre-cataclysm. I can fully understand the need to keep lore information secretive as that is a big part of the fun of playing is to discover these things. But just a basic paragraph describing what can be seen in the area around town and can be easily learned by speaking with NPC peasants (again this would be assuming there are some) might not be a bad idea for the newer players.

I hope the examples helps to better explain what I am looking for.

Thanks,
Evan