A Modest Proposal (for everyone)

Blah, blah, blah.

Moderator: Admin

Donovan Thynedar
Town Member
Town Member

A Modest Proposal (for everyone)

Post by Donovan Thynedar »

Brothers and Sisters, let us talk now of the past. A bygone era, to be sure, but one that might come again.

I speak of a time where our world possessed a different colour than it does now. The atmosphere was comprised of the same air, but was also different – a difference for which I find myself longing. Not all who are here now were here then, and even I only briefly breathed that ancient vapor, so I will spin a tale of the yesterdays which might come again.

There once was a time in which none amongst us would go alone into the night, when even the strongest warrior dared not venture out unguarded, when every door was opened with a weapon at the ready.

There once was a time we stood guard through the night, knowing and fearing the evils that stalked the darkness. We were vigilant, awake and aware that the hordes might come at any hour. O, and they did come.

There once was a time when we ate and drank nothing that did not come from a vessel of wood, stone, or steel. Even things that were contained in unnatural wrappings were easily enough transferred, and nothing unworldly was seen in our lands.

There once was a time when the realm we inhabit was strong and vivid. No words or visions of other worlds could pierce the firmament of our fantasy. The tongues of other times were spoken rarely and in hushed voices, lest we bring alien troubles to our already tested lands.

This time, now passed, is not lost to us. While not everyone possesses the means to adorn themselves in splendor, certainly every one of us can govern our words and actions. Though age and ease have made us vulnerable to the temptation of new, easier, lesser ways we still possess the fortitude to return to our roots. I wish for this, and I would make it manifest. I would call upon our elders to take up the old ways once again. I would call upon our young to learn from them and follow their example. I would call upon all of us to remain steadfast in our resolve and lend aid to others who slip along the way. I would have us hold each other to a higher standard.

All this I would do, but I am but one among many. What say you? If you would have us walk another path, speak of it here, but if in your heart you also desire a return to the old ways, than add your voice to mine. Be heard, that we might take the first steps towards reinforcing the glamour of our world.
One should rather die than be betrayed. There is no deceit in death. It delivers precisely what it has promised. Betrayal, though ... betrayal is the willful slaughter of hope.
Amagus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Amagus »

Here, here! While I’ll always bring 2 liter pop bottles to Final Haven, I can and do resolve never to drink directly from them in the future, but to pour their contents into an appropriate cup. In this small way do I hope to contribute more to the game environment.
Death is the threshold to immense possibility
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

I too will help. I will no longer bring dishware from lands afar. I will bring enough for myself, and maybe a few more. All others will need to bring their own wooden bowls, glassware and cups.
Travis Cole
Grimm
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Grimm »

*Hears words which she so often heard echoing in her own heart, a call to which she has long been party. Collects her earthen goods, her treasures of days long past, and gives the Preceptor of the Phoenix a deep bow*
Sethreal
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sethreal »

Agreed...
Former captain of the Azure Shields.
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

I will procure more period eating and drinking tools for the next event. I will also keep my OOC comments to more quiet tones.

And in a related note, I wasn't going to mention anything, but since we are on the subject: Racial costuming...

Avyana have feathers, a beak or wings.

Dwarves have ruddy cheeks.

Elves have pointy ears.

Gavin have darkened skin.

Guthrie have bushy eyebrows.

Orcs have green faces.

Tsunotaurs have small horns.

Valkyn'vi have painted faces.

The worst offenders of this neglect are not newbies but long-term players. I don't have to mention any names, because you know who you are. It's hard to roleplay appropriately with someone when they not only don't act like the race they are supposibly are (Which is fine, because not everyone has to be a stereotype), but when you also aren't wearing any kind of mention of what you are, it makes things VERY difficult to react appropriately. Don't assume people just know because you are a veteran.
Mike: For the majority of you, choosing to use a packet instead of a weapon is a hindrance because your aims suck.

Travis: Crap he is on to me.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Racial costuming will be inforced, if we cannot figure yout what you are by looking at you then you could be changed to human.

The laxnes could be because you see NPC's not dresed up. We really do try, and have made great strides, problem is we have to keep a balance betwen dressingup and the time it takes to do so.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

It's not NPCs Chris...I'm sorry I didn't specify, it's players. If anyone is of the mind that it's ok because the NPCs aren't doing it, NPCs are considerably different position, because they have to play multiple roles that would make make-up on and off a huge pain in the bum, if not downright impossible. Point: Wayne and Mike both had to jump between a few NPCs in a VERY short period of time at this last event...special costuming would have been damn near impossible. And I'm sorry if that whole post sounded a bit snippy, I just think it would add to the quality of the game, not to mention the fact that we have new people coming in all the time who DON'T know what PCs are supposed to be, and shouldn't have to ask.

But on that note, I do appreciate this thread...I really try to cover-up things that might look out of game with fabrics, faux-fur, rugs and blankets, but I've never given a lot of thought to my eatery-items. I know for people who don't have a lot of $ to spare, you can usually get fabric remnants or similar things at the craft store, or Garage-Sales. Thows can be tossed over plastic bins and that makes them look decent. If people find some good local places to get "period" things, please post that in here.
Mike: For the majority of you, choosing to use a packet instead of a weapon is a hindrance because your aims suck.

Travis: Crap he is on to me.
Smitty19
GM

Post by Smitty19 »

Yes please, if you all know of any place to get said items, i would very much like a link or three...I am all about getting my stuff into a more periody- feel, but i just dont have any clues on what and where to buy, most of the stuff i have found is WAY outta my price range right now.

Thanks

Brett
Serith Darkheart

"I dont make Threats....Only Promises"
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

worst come to worst, even meijers carries wooden bowls.

World Market has a nice selection of resonable stuff that is currently on sale.
Travis Cole
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Food Stuff

Post by General Maximus »

The minium amount of effort that has to be attenand is people trowing out their used items when they are done with them. This will help greatly. There is nothing worse than having all of this out of period empty bottels, wrappers, paper product etc. When done with them, please throw them out.
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Alright, towards the end of last year I commented on all the red cups that were scattered around the inn and how they stick out like a sore thumb. I suggested an end to the solo cups and request that people start bringing some more period mess kits. This would also make people more responsible in picking stuff up as it was their own personal stuff and less likely abandon it and leave it to us few who stay behind and clean up.

Anyway, after I had made this comment, I had my rear end chewed off by other players about the expences of such items. I think if people are willing to put forth the money to bring us things like root beer and stew, the least we can do is bring a resusable container to put it in. I don't think if someone is willing to share their beverages and food they should be responsible for providing you with a container to put it in every game.

As for where to get things, I've seen quite a few good peices at the art fair this past weekend. Also, Meijer and Target have some Asian looking dishware that I'm sure would be acceptable.

This is a site I found sometime back
http://mugheaven.zoovy.com/category/multicolor/

This is a vendor from the art fair (his website is very unfinished but you can call him at 517-676-0476 or email him at potterjon76@yahoo.com) His wares were very nice and at a very reasonable price.
www.jwpottery.com

I'll go ahead and do some internet searching and post more.
Sunny
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sunny »

Target has a very nice line of wooden eatery, and I've found some of my very best stuff at the Salvation Army. You can almost always find a nice glass bottle or period-looking silver dishes there if you keep checking back, especially the huge one in Ann Arbor.

Garage sales are a godsend for larpers, and so is ebay. Believe it or not, you can find some really great stuff for really cheap there. And, 'Fest season is upon us. So, you should be able to find period stuff for not a ton if you shop smartly.

I usually have an over abundence of glasswere and such... os if anyone is really THAT strapped, but still wants to keep it in character, come see me and I'll try and hook you up with loner feast ware for the event. As long as I get stuff back, I don't mind lending it out. ^_^
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

Ok, While I fully appreciate the want to keep things more period, and add to the environment, lets all agree on something: We will nicely suggest that someone who doesn't have it get it or better yet, if you care, we will bring extra (As some people already do) and offer to loan it. I have seen, at Final Haven, people be given shit for their lack of costuming or period gear. This is one place that elitism does should not be excepted. We are a community and if you want to add to that community by adding to the environment, remember to make sure you aren't hurting that community in doing it.

This all may seem a little harsh, so I would like to point out where I am coming from. Realize that I put a pretty high percentage of my entertainment budget for the year into Final Haven, I may not put as much money, but I put as much as I can. Also realize that, I am a detailed oriented person and high self critical, which is to say that I hate that all of my alchemy gear isn't period looking and that I don't have all of the pieces that I want and that my armor isn't finished and etc. I want to do more, but just can't afford it.

Now the above suggestions about getting feast gear are good. Let me expound, since I am already long winded. I was at the art fair this weekend, while you were at FH, and there was a vendor with small clay cups (6-8oz) for $6. Also I got my drinking horn at Holly at a regular vendor for $12. Most of the stuff out there is expensive, I know I look, look for the plain stuff or ask about price ranges, that way you don't appear as cheap. Also Curufin went shopping several times at Value Land (much like a St Vinnies or Goodwill) and got a bunch of wood salad bowls and cheap metal mugs, I think his total expense was like $12. One of the most expensive things are utensils, I worked around this by getting a knife and eating bricks of cheese, meat and bread. I know this won't work with Sen's Awesome Stew, but its a start, beside if you have bread you can use that for the stew.

I too will try to rein in the normal stuff. I will highly limit the Solo cups.
Faerykin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Faerykin »

Lambic wrote:Also I got my drinking horn at Holly at a regular vendor for $12. Most of the stuff out there is expensive, I know I look, look for the plain stuff or ask about price ranges, that way you don't appear as cheap.
OMG - Holly is hella-expensive. Thats why we go on and on about Silverleaf. Silverleaf has most of the stuff you can get at Holly - for a fraction of the price.

I'm not one for period eatery. I know, bad me. But, one microbiology class was more than enough to turn me off from a lot of things. Regardless, I do happen to own some period eatery items, and I will be more than happy to donate them to whomever will give them a good home. I'll dig them out from their hidey-hole, wash them and bring them to next event.

I know it isn't much, but it's free. :wink:

~B