Advanced warrior swap out skills

A place to bring up any clarifications, fixes, or current rule grievances to change for the 2019 rule set.

Moderator: Admin

Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Advanced warrior swap out skills

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

ADVANCED
riposte:
20 second reload
The warrior may target the attacker with a melee attack, that has the same damage call as the one with which the attacker just hit the front of warrior. If the warrior has parry, he may use parry to eliminate damage from the incoming attack first, at double the normal cost.

Maim:
60 second cool down
Warrior may strike target with a melee attack, and call "1 vorpal Maim". The attack can be parried with weapon or shield phys rep, the parry skill, or resisted for free if the target has any active combat reflexes when struck.
Any target struck with with a maim attack, that has 2 or more levels of regeneration, is unaffected.
If the target is hit in the arm, that arm cannot be used until target healed for 2 points. If the Target is hit in the leg, he/she may not move faster than a slow walk until healed for 2 points. If the Target is hit in the torso, he/she is pressed back and under a Poison effect for 10 seconds.

Armor Mastery
If the warrior role plays inspecting, testing, and making adjustments to the fit and placement of a PC or NPCs armor, that character my ignore one level of armor rating for the next scene/combat. This does not allow the use of a shield that would normally upgrade the armor category, and the armor must be be phys rep'ed.

Absorb Damage
30 second cool down
This skill allows the warrior to spend a Life Point, plant one foot, and call "absorb" to take the effects of any melee strike that hits another PC/NPC withing 5' radius/within weapon reach for as long as the warrior remains conscious and keeps one foot planted. For the duration of this skill use, he cannot use parry to defend himself. The warrior takes the hit as if it hit him in the front, instead of the PC/NPC it originally was landed on. The warrior can chose to drop the skill at any time.
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Re: Advanced warrior swap out skills

Post by Onimaster »

What skills are these supposed to be replacing?
riposte:
20 second reload
The warrior may target the attacker with a melee attack, that has the same damage call as the one with which the attacker just hit the front of warrior. If the warrior has parry, he may use parry to eliminate damage from the incoming attack first, at double the normal cost.
Meh, not bad... I would say that this only works from the front and/or if parry has been used successfully (Assuming that someone may somehow have an ability that could parry from the back like old school samurai.) It also need a time limit so people don't have rogues crit strike them to 'charge up' a big one shot they can carry around all day.
Maim:
60 second cool down
Warrior may strike target with a melee attack, and call "1 vorpal Maim". The attack can be parried with weapon or shield phys rep, the parry skill, or resisted for free if the target has any active combat reflexes when struck.
Any target struck with with a maim attack, that has 2 or more levels of regeneration, is unaffected.
If the target is hit in the arm, that arm cannot be used until target healed for 2 points. If the Target is hit in the leg, he/she may not move faster than a slow walk until healed for 2 points. If the Target is hit in the torso, he/she is pressed back and under a Poison effect for 10 seconds.
I feel that this is a needlessly overcomplicated skill. Take out the vorpal bit and the free resist if you have combat reflexes bits. Remove all the Regen makes you immune caveats. I'd say if you are making a new 'you cannot use this limb' skill it should be simple, and that a healer should have a companion 'cure maim' skill to pair it to. Or, just say that when you heal or are cured for 2 life points or more the effect ends. Simple.
Armor Mastery
If the warrior role plays inspecting, testing, and making adjustments to the fit and placement of a PC or NPCs armor, that character my ignore one level of armor rating for the next scene/combat. This does not allow the use of a shield that would normally upgrade the armor category, and the armor must be be phys rep'ed.
I do not like this skill. Seems nearly useless other than letting characters who would normally not be able to use a heavier AC use skills limiting their path and Discs. That is too cumberson to be all that useful, and dilutes the flavors of the classes/paths.
Absorb Damage
30 second cool down
This skill allows the warrior to spend a Life Point, plant one foot, and call "absorb" to take the effects of any melee strike that hits another PC/NPC withing 5' radius/within weapon reach for as long as the warrior remains conscious and keeps one foot planted. For the duration of this skill use, he cannot use parry to defend himself. The warrior takes the hit as if it hit him in the front, instead of the PC/NPC it originally was landed on. The warrior can chose to drop the skill at any time.
This I do not like. "Lash I take that damage for you don't count it" is too hard to roleplay in a fight and just plain confusing. Maybe if it was a I take that damage from a game stop effect, but in a bustle of combat where people may be fighting in the dark. Lash is complicated enough before adding in redirect effects.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage