2016 To Do List

A glimpse into the process of LARP design, into the minds of the creators, and a chance to interact on a design level with the GMs--basically what we're thinking and why
GM-Mike
GM

2016 To Do List

Post by GM-Mike »

Happy New Year!

Most of us have taken a much needed break for the holidays, recharging if you will and we're gearing up to get back to work. Obviously we have some things to work on. As I enter my 14th year of running the game, I know things can always be better and never is more tweaking needed than the year following a reworking of the rules. Last year provided a lot of feedback and playtesting opportunities. Hopefully we've learned some things. Below is a short list of things on our to-do list for this year. It's just a starting point but before we get too far along, I would welcome what things you would put on our to-do list--what things do you want to make sure we take a close look at for this coming year.

1. Magic. Yep, we knew we would be here when we were in discussions last year. We wanted to make changes but honestly, the only way to know for sure what works is to try it out. I really disliked the old system. I may have been the only one but I REALLY disliked it for a variety of reasons that I won't get into now. The current system is not where we want it to be, though I will say for the record that I don't think it's as bad as some believe. That said, we are listening and will continue to listen and continue to solicit feedback and continue to discuss this area of the game.

2. 2nd level discipline swap out skills. I would like to look at these again to make sure what's there makes sense and if any new ideas have surfaced over the year.

3. Previously Overlooked Skill Interactions. This is where that whole channel/skill mastery thing would fall. I'm short on time but I believe there are a few other examples

4. Valkyn'Vi. We can do better

5. Shields. Nuff said.

6.. Forum Etiquette. We are working on establishing a written document that will outline what we expect when using our forums and the consequences for not following the rules. For some, I expect this document to be your final warning prior to being excluded from the forums going forward.

What else you got? Feel free to pile on :)
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Re: 2016 To Do List

Post by Ark »

-Military system: is this a game of heroes or a game of armies?

-investment system and the ways it interacts with the game: if there is no upkeep why do we need a system that's sole function is to bring in boatloads of resources that the game does not need, as a result things start happening to PC's to justify the resource income, like overuse of shatter to destroy our stuff so were forced to interact with the investment system to make the stuff that got shattered so it can all repeat, etc. this circle need not exist in the first place.

-alchemy: its broken.

-magic items: their broken

-skill stacking: please figure out if we are heading towards carps or not, resists turning into immunity was okay, press getting more efficient if you had it twice was nice, enchant weapon getting a slightly different activation was fine. but were getting to the point were certain skills you just need to have twice for them to be of any use.

I could go on but I already sent you a PM with all that here and more, I'm pretty much just posting food for thought for other people to think about ^_^
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

I most have some re-wordings and clarifications..

***Essence boon "Stun Strike" - should there be wording that states it stacks with the monk skill, "Neck Chop" like you said it would? Also, I noticed that neither of these skills state they must be delivered via a fist. People were using staves for this skill last year.

***Give a statement as to who can attach locks (I spent an hour during one event looking for this in the rule book. Phil says it's a level 3 craftsman, but I can find it no where in the rules)

***Make Mystic worth something again.

***Give Jack a heading just like the rest of the paths - it's currently hiding somewhere in a paragraph.

-----------------------the nitty gritty (or, things that are really too insignificant to be changed)-------------------------------------

Get rid of the floating period on the title page of the rule book - it really bothers me!

Also, on the title page - if we have no longer have artwork or photos, why do have artwork and photo credits?

Move the bit about each race being able to read/write their own language as well as common somewhere with races rather than "other racial considerations." Maybe give a very short explanation on how someone can learn other languages.

"Other Racial Considerations" - where'd the bit about the half-breeds and sub-races go? Do we no longer have half-breeds and sub-races or do you no longer need the special permission/information on how correctly role play them?

Under "Paths" Paragraphs #4 & 5 should be moved under the "Character Advancement" because I think you'd spend points as you advance your character.

I'm glad you added structure points to containers, moving forward but I'd also like to see the ability to reinforce containers, as in add structure points to containers - the difference between a wooden and steel chest or bullion box.
Vivac
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Vivac »

Please add a small paragraph into the rulebook about Hidden Disciplines. Nothing huge, just telling us about what a hidden discipline is and what their role in the game is. Possibly telling a little bit about how they are gotten (Role play, having to speak with the GMs, etc.).

I also second the idea of giving Jack its own heading in the book. Either that or just get rid of it since a Sage can almost always be a better Jack IMO. At least with the current rules.
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

Vivac wrote:Please add a small paragraph into the rulebook about Hidden Disciplines. Nothing huge, just telling us about what a hidden discipline is and what their role in the game is. Possibly telling a little bit about how they are gotten (Role play, having to speak with the GMs, etc.).

I also second the idea of giving Jack its own heading in the book. Either that or just get rid of it since a Sage can almost always be a better Jack IMO. At least with the current rules.
bwah, what hidden disciplines? 8)
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.